Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After further inspection on my bike today, it appears the subframe is bent an inch to the right. Not substantial, but enough to bug me. I dont think its bent enough to justify replacement, so how would I go about bending it back? I have ideas in my head, but I'd rather know for sure from someone else's experience before I go whackin'.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've had pretty good luck bending back brittle aluminum shift levers with an air-bleed propane torch. A regular blow torch didn't seem to get it hot enough. I'd try that and go as slowly as possible, but I've never actually bent a subframe back.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hardest part of bending that back will probably be bracing the bike so you can apply sufficient force to it. Id try figuring out a way to pry on it with a lever, press it with a jack or even pull it out with a ratchet strap or something before I went after it with a hammer. Id be inclined to do it off the bike if possible though so you dont risk bending the mounts.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
you will not get it 100%, don't even try.... if you try to get it 100% you'll likely make it worse.

Luckily the 03 has a steel subframe but square tubing doesn't bend well. I'd take the bodywork and fender out and work it with a piece of 2X4 to bend it and use a ratchet strap to compress where neessary.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I decided to let it be for now (just like everything else broken at the moment). If and when I go at it, I do plan to have it off the bike, as I did spend awhile thinking about how to brace it while on the bike, much easier if it was off. It is an 03 so its a steel subframe, heating it up wont make it brittle like aluminum will it?

I also thought of a second choice...adjust all the mounting points where the bodywork fastens onto...and shift things a bit. The bend is so minor I could probably get away with doing that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts