Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright ... for all you independent and self sufficient peeps out there

What is a good quality small sized fix-a-flat kit that I can carry in the SVs voluminous rear hatch?

CO2 - Tire Plug - AAA ... what is out there?

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Get a plug kit.
To inflate the tire you can either hope to be near a gas station, carry the CO2 cartridge things or get a hose to inflate your tire off the rear cylinders spark plug hole.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I bought the small 12V Cmpbell Hausfield compressor from Walmart for $10. Then I removed the outer casing, cut off the cooling fan, cut off the cigarret lighter plug and added a battery tender pig tail. It stores under my rear seat no problem and I even have a fender eliminator. I also carry around a $5 flat kit. Comes with a tire reemer, plug tool, plenty of sticky cord plugs and rubber glue. Works awesome. I've used it a few times on other peoples bikes. Plus I also used the compressor to inflate a guys rear shocks on his gold wing....

This is better than any spark plug compressor or CO2 kits. You'll need lots of CO2 cylinders to inflate one M/C tire.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Great ideer Wacky. I'll have to shop around a little bit next time I'm in Wally World... 8)

·
Registered
48 Posts
wacky_woodchuck said:
I bought the small 12V Cmpbell Hausfield compressor from Walmart for $10. Then I removed the outer casing, cut off the cooling fan, cut off the cigarret lighter plug and added a battery tender pig tail. It stores under my rear seat no problem and I even have a fender eliminator. I also carry around a $5 flat kit. Comes with a tire reemer, plug tool, plenty of sticky cord plugs and rubber glue. Works awesome. I've used it a few times on other peoples bikes. Plus I also used the compressor to inflate a guys rear shocks on his gold wing....

This is better than any spark plug compressor or CO2 kits. You'll need lots of CO2 cylinders to inflate one M/C tire.
:) Great idea!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
plugs hands down work the best. you know the kind you insert from the out side. all you need is the boring tool the hook to insert them and an air source. i rode on a plug for like 1,000 miles although not a good idea it shows how well they work. slime works great in every thing but motorcyle tires so don't even think about it. and fix a flat HAH! i saw a guy on a buell try that one as soon as he started moving his bike looked more like a jet ski because it was spraying fix a flat right up into the air.

so yah plug it or tow it. my $00.02

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
that thing looks interesting but on the sv i think it would be less work you pump it with my mt. bike pump. it be a royal pain in the rear to get to the rear cylinder on the sv while sitting on the edge of the road. but i showed my dad he has a older gold wing it be easy for him to use it. but then again he can fit a compressor in his trunk :-\

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
B.a. said:
that thing looks interesting but on the sv i think it would be less work you pump it with my mt. bike pump.  it be a royal pain in the rear to get to the rear cylinder on the sv while sitting on the edge of the road.  but i showed my dad he has a older gold wing it be easy for him to use it. but then again he can fit a compressor in his trunk  :-\
meh...not that hard to get to the rear spark plug. all the stuff you need (including spark plug wrench, IIRC) are in the SV's toolkit. two bolts, lift tank, and it's right there. I think it would be a little inconvenient, but when is a flat tire EVER convenient? Also, would be more convenient than running out of CO2 canisters, or a broken air compressor (they just look really fragile to me with all of the plastic and stuff taken off of them to make them fit in the tail like wacky was talking about).

have any of you actually used one of these hose things? will the SV run (temporarily) on one cylinder? if not, is there danger of running the battery dead by running the starter continuously to turn over the motor? how long does it take to inflate?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have used the fix-a-flat in the bottle to successfully save my ass on three occasions now. It is not recommended, but better than nothing for poor college kids. I have gone well over 100 miles after using it before at freeway speeds. Just remember the stuff is flammable for when the tire finally comes off.

-josh

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I've seen those spark plug pumps ....... WHo in their right mind would inflate a tire with an explosive air'fuel mixture, then ride it down the road and let it heat up

I have a campbellhausfield cordless air compressor in my saddlebags, it's pretty big & heavy, and needs luggage to be carried, it will also run on 12 power source & 110ac the battery pack is powerful enuf to start and run the bike as a backup battery

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
RandyO said:
I've seen those spark plug pumps ....... WHo in their right mind would inflate a tire with an explosive air'fuel mixture, then ride it down the road and let it heat up

I have a campbellhausfield  cordless air compressor in my saddlebags, it's pretty big & heavy,  and needs luggage to be carried, it will also run on 12 power source & 110ac  the battery pack is powerful enuf to start and run the bike as a backup battery 
hahaha thats a good point totally didn't think of that. that is pretty dumb. i have a simple solution to this whole problem. its called my best friend drives a pick-up truck. and since that (insert bad name) smashed my bike all up this summer he owes me big time.

·
Registered
514 Posts
RandyO said:

I have a campbellhausfield cordless air compressor in my saddlebags, it's pretty big & heavy, and needs luggage to be carried, it will also run on 12 power source & 110ac the battery pack is powerful enuf to start and run the bike as a backup battery
They say it has a check valve, and that it pulls in fresh air.

I still wouldn't use it.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
B.a. said:
i have a simple solution to this whole problem. its called my best friend drives a pick-up truck.
I guess that's a good option if you only ride close to home. But I'd rather be self-sufficient since I often ride hundreds of miles from home in secluded areas of the NC mountains. I think the best option is the stripped-down Wal-Mart compressor (which has been discussed on here and other bike forums for a while now) and a tire plug kit. I keep meaning to get one, but haven't yet. I'm going to make it a point to do this before my next long ride.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
The campbell hausfield compressor stirped down works just fine. It has lasted for over 20k miles in my trunk with no side effects. It's just wrapped in a cloth and stuffed in the back. When you take off the covers it's a very simple cast iron air pump. Pretty damn durable.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I keep Ride-On tire sealant in both tires. It's made for motorcycles and works great.
www.ride-on.com

I also keep a Progressive suspension plug kit under the seat. It also works great so far. It takes the inexpensive unthreaded cartridges you can get from Wal Mart for really cheap. It takes about 5 cartridges to fill up a tire, 6 or 7 cartridges will fit inside the kit. When I go on a trip, I bring an extra box of cartridges. Doesn't take up much room.

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/tire-repair-kits.html

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is exactly what I heard about but could not find!

Thanks for the link!

I heard there was a kit with big CO2 cartridges out there but could not find it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You're better off with one of the kits that will accept unthreaded cartridges. The cartridges are really cheap in the sporting goods section of Wal Mart...like $4 for a box of 12. The threaded cartridges are much more expensive. One of the kits with the Moto Pump Ultra is the best way to go. (TRK-4 or TRK-2)

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ouch! I see what you mean!

From http://motorcyclistonline.com/escape/tourtechntips/123_0444_repair/

Designed to use large 68-gram cartridges, the TRK-5 has most of the components of the TRK-4 kit plus a different nozzle/adaptor with a flexible fitting. The kit includes a nylon pouch that will accommodate a second cartridge, but only just. Extra large-capacity cartridges from Progressive run $30.70 a pair.

At fifteen bucks a pop, that really hurts the pocket book! Good advice ...
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts