Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of a custom exhaust for my 02 sv 650 cafe racer and and like the look of the Black Widow 2016 type race system on ebay.
I know the bracket needs changing which is ok, and after looking at pictures of the system, while looking at the bike for potential problems. I have to say, if it bolts to early heads it looks promising.
Anyone out there with more sv experience with any thoughts on doing this?
s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
No experience with the gen 3's, but it was not possible to swap exhausts between gen 1 and gen 2.

·
Registered
78 Posts
3rd gen vs gladius is compatible, but this I don't know. Maybe it will be possible with minor adaptations. If you have a place to make the mods, I don't see any problem by trying it!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yeah man, i had some experience with it in some of my bikes. I also have a kit like this that I'm still thinking about what im going to do as slip on, because i want a light weight and silent one, for sure I'll have to fabricate it... Before purchasing this exhaust, maybe you should take a look on how much will cost to make a custom made one. Sometimes it worth it. Good luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could make it but I do like the look of this and it should be lighter than one I make and hopefully make a little more power. I am happy with the sound of my muffler but again I made it from steel, so a lighter slip on would be good but most are too loud

·
Registered
78 Posts
This one really looks nice.
This in the one I have, but this slip on was sold out for being too loud.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yesterday avo my Black Widow sv650 gen3 race exhaust system arrived on time despite Corona.
So today I ripped off the Gen1 system and started checking out how much needs changing to fit the K2.
Well, It looks pretty promising. The front and mid pipe sit in place without fouling and the rear pipe slips nicely on the short rear head pipe, but fouled on the bolt ant nut for the lower dog bone support.
Now, I don't remember which way this bolts are standard because my dog bogs and shock are non standard and I may have just turned them so dirt from the chain wouldn't build up on the thread.
So if time allows tomorrow I will turn the bottom bolts a around and then we will see.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sv650 Gen3 black widow system on gen1 cafe racer project
Today the lower dog bone bolt and lower shock bolt were turned around providing room for the rear pipe to sit in place.
Now using the gen1 stubby rear cylinder head pipe seems the safest option. using the gen3 pipe which would be extra cost may create more problems, I would try it if I had one but I don't.
The gen1 head pipe must be about 20mm longer increasing the distance between front and rear pipes on the new system, so the collector pipe on the centre section for the rear cylinder will need to be shortened about 20mm and since this part is flared it means a trip to the local exhaust shop,
Once that is done I will work out the new mounting bracket.
Then comes fitting the muffler, odds are a gen 3 slipon would go straight on but I will go the hard way using what I have.
Over all I think It is a good option for sv650 gen1 now that there are less and less options

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sv650 gen3 black widow system on gen1,
I went 3 exhaust shops to get the flare lengthened for the rear cylinder entry on the centre section with no joy.
The first was closed and the others said the pipe diameter is too small for their tooling. So if its too small for the exhaust shops I would try the biggest plumber in the town but they wouldn't try it because it is stainless.
So I shortened both the header pipe and the expanded part about 9 mm and DONE
Now I have cut off the gen3 mount and I need to fab 2 mounts to bolt on the gen 1 frame.
The only interference I have spotted is it is hard against the spring post inboard of the side stand.
So far still good

·
Registered
78 Posts
wow man, it looks nice! good job!
Is that super loud?
I finally (I hope) found a configuration to mine, just put a slip on and the sound is not that loud, so I can ride it now :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts