Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Loaded the SV with everything I'm bringing to a camping/bbq/party at the end of July. The camp chair, tent and sleeping pad held nicely being lashed together, bungee'd to the saddlebags, and cinched down with the tailbag on top. I'm going to add a strap that will hold the three rolls to the grip bar on the tail to keep it from sliding forward when braking. Other than that, everything was nice and solid for a half hour test ride. I didn't even have to expand the saddle or tailbags, and I still have plenty of room in my tankbag.

This is my first time taking the bike on an overnight ride. I've really only commuted or taken joyrides until now, but I'm really looking forward to the trip, even though it's not a great distance. If anyone has any tips about riding down 95 and the Capitol Beltway, I'm all ears. :)

-Jim

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Make sure you have a tire puncture repair kit, duct tape , zip tyes, and water a's SVtommy said.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Here is my sv on a recent trip to west virginia from nj. To tie down the north face duffle bag i used buckle straps i bought at rei and attatched them from the front of the passenger seat and rear area up to the daisy chain on the duffle. Than i tied down the kriega on the daisy chain as well. The gas can was bungeed to the duffle. Its a great bag to use on a bike as its water proof and better built than most specific bike luggage. The daisy chain makes it a breeze to tie down to anything. 70 litter bag ran me only 90. That buys you a budget motrcycle specific tail bag that isnt water proof or durable.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I use Rok straps tied to the helmet hooks and the grab rail.

Works real well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a plug and CO2 fill kit in the tank bag, and I'll be carrying a bottle of water and one of gatorade. I imagine the most uncomfortable part of the trip will be sleeping outside while it's humid, but we should be ok.

·
Registered
244 Posts
If anyone has any tips about riding down 95 and the Capitol Beltway, I'm all ears. :)

-Jim
I'm not being glib, but the only tip I have is try to avoid riding down 95 and the Capital Beltway. It's a very miserable ride. It's a combination of mind-numbingly dull and infuriating due to traffic congestion. I'm sorry that I can't offer alternatives, as I don't really know the roads leaving NJ southbound. But to find an alternative route (even if it adds miles to your route) is highly worth the effort.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm not being glib, but the only tip I have is try to avoid riding down 95 and the Capital Beltway. It's a very miserable ride. It's a combination of mind-numbingly dull and infuriating due to traffic congestion. I'm sorry that I can't offer alternatives, as I don't really know the roads leaving NJ southbound. But to find an alternative route (even if it adds miles to your route) is highly worth the effort.
although i've just began to ride, and never rode on the beltway, i've been on it many many times with my car. between the horrid roads/expansion joints and the inattentive idiots, i feel like i'm going to die every time.. ;) but that describes most of the NOVA/DC/MD metro area.. which is why i moved to the mountains..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I've driven the beltway plenty of times in my car, and it's always a harrowing experience. I plan on leaving early, around 6am, so hopefully I'll skip some of the awful rush hour traffic.

·
Registered
788 Posts
My god man. It looks like you're packing for a week. I saw the pick and thought your doing a few days. Then I read you're leaving for an overnighter!

Im curious as to the list of things you're packing.

Btw bike looks nice

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My god man. It looks like you're packing for a week. I saw the pick and thought your doing a few days. Then I read you're leaving for an overnighter!

Im curious as to the list of things you're packing.

Btw bike looks nice

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Leaving Friday, coming home Sunday. The three rolls on the rear seat are my tent, sleeping pad and a camp chair. Other than that, I'm packing t-shirts, polo's, shorts, and a pair of sneakers which take up the saddlebags. The Ogio bags are expandable, but I didn't have to open them up for this trip. The tailbag has a bottle of Veuve Cliquot (paying off a bet), 8 decks of cards for a poker tournament, toiletries, cell charger, tent fan, flash light and rain gear. The tank bag is nearly empty at this point, but I'm going to put a 2L hydration bladder in there. It also has a tire plug kit in it.

As for my route, I'm not dead set on the Turnpike and 95 all the way down, but I also don't want to turn a 4 hour ride into a 7 hour ride. I want to get down to Virginia by noon at the latest.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Also just a quick question, but is there a reason you picked this part of VA? If the other people you are going with are from the same area, ever think of changing plans to go into pa? Better camp grounds and much better riding than the part of VA you are heading too. Plus the actual commute until you get to solid roads is a lot shorter. VA i find kind of crappy until you get away from the DC population and head more into the mountains by west VA. The area you are going into is still very much like NJ where the people just live there and commute into dc the way we do to nyc or philly for work.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also just a quick question, but is there a reason you picked this part of VA? If the other people you are going with are from the same area, ever think of changing plans to go into pa? Better camp grounds and much better riding than the part of VA you are heading too. Plus the actual commute until you get to solid roads is a lot shorter. VA i find kind of crappy until you get away from the DC population and head more into the mountains by west VA. The area you are going into is still very much like NJ where the people just live there and commute into dc the way we do to nyc or philly for work.
This is the 8th annual bbq/party that's hosted by friends that live down in the NoVa and MD area. They host it on their property, so that's the rallying point. ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
As far as Sterling, maybe Manassas. Then heading back towards Silver Spring, MD for Saturday night.
If you're going to do that do something like this:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=P...lqDOEAA&mra=dpe&mrsp=2&sz=12&via=1,2&t=m&z=10

I'd say that if you can... avoid RT7... 193 can be a nice ride into great falls when there's no traffic (mid day on week days not near a holiday weekend) and 15 is a nice ride over whites ferry into MD back roads (bring $5 for the ferry).

I've had to ride on 495 and it's never fun. Stay vigilant for other drivers and road defects.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts