Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, a buddy of mine and I took our sport bikes to a school track day not so long ago, and I just go my pictures back. We were at the Streets course at Willow Springs. A great motorcycle course from what I could tell, but since this was my first time on a track, what the heck do I know. The day was a track school put on by Reg Pridmore, ex-AMA champion, and father of current AMA road racer Jason Pridmore. They split the group up into and A (fast) group and a B (slow) group. I, of course, chose the B group. After the tech check and some initial classroom time, they took the A group out for a sighting lap with smaller groups of riders following an instructor around, with each rider getting one lap directly behind the instructor. While they did that, our group was getting some basic familarization with the track. As we were doing that, one of the guys in the A group actually crashed. On the friggin sighting lap! I immediately thought "what the heck have I gotten myself into?"

After the initial familiarization, and our turn taking sighting laps, the day progressed with 20 minute sessions on the track and 20 minute sessions in the classroom. While on the track, there were a number of instructors riding around who would stop you and offer instruction, or ask you to follow them to see the line, etc. It was very educational. Right before lunch we did a braking exercise for about half an hour.

Nobody in our group crahsed until the very last session. Luckily, he was not hurt badly. I made it through unscathed, which I was more than a bit worried about after the way the day started. I was much more concerned with lines, throttle/brake contro, RELAXING, etc. Anyway, here's a couple of pics of me in all my glory.

Turn 8 "The Bowl"

Turn 3

Turn 8 again

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
basically you only crash if you ride over your abilities or if someone takes you out, so you shouldn't worry much about crashing when you're first starting out. as you become experienced, you'll have to ride closer and closer to your limits in order to continue learning, so then riding over your limits becomes more likely as you push the envelope.

for now, relax and enjoy the process of gaining track experience!

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
In a very non-condescending way, I want to point out that you probably thought you were leaned way over in those turns... then you see the pictures and you say "uh... it looks like I'm about to put my kickstand down... :-\" That's the way it goes. Kind of disappointing :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, I knew I was not particularly leaned over. I was not trying for high speeds, and frankly, I was a lot more nervous that I thought I would be, so I was definitely one of the slow guys out there.

As far as bike set up, we had to disconnect or cover the brake light and the mirrors, have essentially new tires, and a leak-free bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts