Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've finally did it, went to my first track day.

Great experience, didn't crash, and I got to practice in a safe environment.

Here is the only picture I have of me for now:

The track is a very small track, built mainly for super-motard, but still fun on a sport bike, specially one geared for low speed like my SV (-1 front, +1 rear).

Here is an areal shot of the tack, we used only the part highlighted in red, which made for a circuit a little bit better suited for sport-bikes.

2 crashes during the time I was there, first one a friend of mine who low sided is RC51 with minimal damage and no injuries (he was able to continue riding in the following sessions), second one an amateur racer who crashed in the same corner, also without injuries but with enough damage to the bike that he called-it a day and went home.

Here is the RC51 low-siding:

Now I'm hooked, can't wait for the next track day. I have a track school scheduled at the FAST Riding School in Shanonville for next tuesday, and I am already planning another track day 2 weeks from now.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Wow... great lean angle for your first time.

I don't think I'd mind low siding if I got to leave with a pic *that* good!
At least he has something to show for the damage :wink:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Nice pics.

Glad you had a good time.

Damn. I've got to do one of those things at some point.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We did 3 sessions (we were only there for half a day), and I kinda scared myself a little bit in the first session scraping the peg feelers twice.

I removed them before the second session, and regainned some of my confidence in that session. The picture of myself was taken in that session.

The third session is were things got really fun. I started attacking more aggressivly, and pushed a lot harder. Scrapped the left peg in one corner, even without the feeler, so I guess my body position is still far from perfect.

We were very lucky to have one of our friend there to take pictures, completely free of charge.

·
Registered
110 Posts
RdKetchup said:
... Scrapped the left peg in one corner, even without the feeler, so I guess my body position is still far from perfect.
Maybe not perfect, but damn good... especially for your first track day.

That RC51 lowside is a great pic too. He's lucky he didn't hook up and get highsided into oblivion :shock:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scotch said:
That RC51 lowside is a great pic too. He's lucky he didn't hook up and get highsided into oblivion :shock:
Yeah, but that would have made for an even better picture :lol:

But seriously, we were all glad he came out of this alright, and able to ride the remaining sessions.

·
Registered
369 Posts
dude your friend loks like he's trying to save that lowside, that's extremely dangerous if he was. If that rear tire catches he's gone get shot into the stratmosphere. Instant low to highside.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
wow that is a great picture especailly considering it was your first time!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
stranger said:
i noticed that none of the headlights are taped or signals removed. isn't that a general rule of trackdays?
Not at that particular track. I wanted to remove the mirrors and signals, but got there late in the morning, so I left everything on.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Hey man, that's awesome! Those pics are incredible!

Just a few quick questions:
1. How many miles have you ridden, and
2. Are those the original Dunlops or another tire?

Thanks, congrats, and good luck on the next! Hopefully that's something I can get into before the season is over.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imnot12 said:
Hey man, that's awesome! Those pics are incredible!

Just a few quick questions:
1. How many miles have you ridden, and
2. Are those the original Dunlops or another tire?

Thanks, congrats, and good luck on the next! Hopefully that's something I can get into before the season is over.
1: You mean on the street since I started riding? A little bit under 35000km, so around 21000 miles.

2: Those are Michelin Pilot Power.

·
Registered
752 Posts
RdKetchup said:
1: You mean on the street since I started riding? A little bit under 35000km, so around 21000 miles.

2: Those are Michelin Pilot Power.
Yup, cool, always curious to see where people are at when they hit the track for the first time. And yea, just wondering about the tires, nice (coming up time to pick a new pair, that's all).

·
Registered
498 Posts
donniej said:
I don't think I'd mind low siding if I got to leave with a pic *that* good!
At least he has something to show for the damage :wink:
Ditto. I am impressed he stayed on the gas to low side, that bike looks like it is loading up for a high side. :shock:

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
AvidSV650Rider said:
Looks like he's backin' it in to me ;).
yeah nicky haden has nothing on that guy... THATS how you ride an rc baby! :lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
novakane said:
did u rent leathers or those are urs? i really wanna do some track days but i dont have full leathers :(
Mine, mine, all mine :D

Got them from a guy on my local board who bought them for track days, then changed is mind about doing track days this year... so got them for an amazing price in brand new condition.

Getting into a 1pce suit is not the easiest thing in the world, and I usualy end-up drenched in sweath before I even start riding, but once on the bike I'm so confortable, I don't regret buying it at all.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts