Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as i posted before i purchased my SV(first bike) last weekend. Today was my first ride on the road, except for a few trips up and down the street i live on. Everything went pretty well. Except for one thing. I was riding along 5 mph over the speed limit...50 mph, and then an SUV flies up behind me i mean right on my butt, maybe one car length behind me. Well that makes me a nervous so i keep watching him in my mirrors, and of course i start paying to much attention to him and then the wobble begins...only thing that came to mind was CLUTCH. thankfully the bike settled down and i pulled off the road at the next safe spot. after sitting there for a few minutes and gaining my composure i started the bike up and headed home.

i just wish i knew why he rode my ass like he did...he had numerous passing oppurtunities.

ps....i let a friend of mine ride my bike, and 2 hours later he rides up on a new SV...to bad he went to the blue camp though ;)

K

·
0 Posts
At least you got your senses back and focused on riding...  Some people are a-holes no matter what in cages.  You did the right thing and pulled off the road.  When you get tailgated-and especially when you are new(or really anytime for most situations),  maintining your speed so they pass or turning off for a second are the only good options dealing with an idot like that.  The worst thing you can do is speed up. Most likely it wasnt even malicious, it could of been some teen bimbo in mommies 6800lb Escalade on the phone.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
The Noob-- Welcome to the world of motorcycling, and good job watching your six and exercising good situational awareness. Some folks drive like that regardless of the type of vehicle in front of them. You made the right decision to move over and allow the cage to pass. Keep getting some road time for practice, the less traffic the better. Riding will get a whoooooole lot more fun very soon! 8)

Good luck and ride safe...

·
Registered
397 Posts
SUV's are just jerks!!! They really think they own the road...highbeaming you if you get infront of them, swerving around like they're in a race car, I think the car companies put a special chemical in SUVs that makes their drivers jerks with a short fuse :mad: The majority of them anyways...Glad your okay :-D how did you bike start to wobble??? Did you down shift to a lower gear or something? Cuz In my experience, its kinda hard for the handle bars to start wobbling unless I down shift too hard, or I run over something...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to be honest with you i dont know what made them start to wobble, i wasnt downshifting, i may have hit something because my eyes were back and forth between the rode and my mirrors. i really dont know...i think thats why it shook me up.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
shekshishekki said:
SUV's are just jerks!!! They really think they own the road...highbeaming you if you get infront of them, swerving around like they're in a race car, I think the car companies put a special chemical in SUVs that makes their drivers jerks with a short fuse  :mad: The majority of them anyways...
The SUV is an inanimate object. I believe your refering to the drivers that are jerks. And not all SUV drivers are jerks. I know plenty of SUV drivers, that are also motorcyclists.

Noob- Welcome to the world of CYA (Cover Your Ass). You did the right thing by pulling over. Best to clear your head and cool down before you got back into traffic. Another thing you have to remember is that our speedometers are off by up to 10% when at higher speeds. So if your speedo reads 55mph, theres a good chance your only goin 50-51ish.... Just something to remember when riding in traffic...

Once again, WELCOME and ride safe!

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Scary stuff. What works for me is gradually slowing down. This usually gets the tailgaters to pass. You shouldn't put too much attention on what's behind you. Virtually all problems are coming from in front of you. Props for keeping aware of your surroundings, though. With experience it gets easier and more automatic.

·
Registered
109 Posts
dackler said:
The SUV is an inanimate object. I believe your refering to the drivers that are jerks. And not all SUV drivers are jerks. I know plenty of SUV drivers, that are also motorcyclists.

Noob- Welcome to the world of CYA (Cover Your Ass). You did the right thing by pulling over. Best to clear your head and cool down before you got back into traffic. Another thing you have to remember is that our speedometers are off by up to 10% when at higher speeds. So if your speedo reads 55mph, theres a good chance your only goin 50-51ish.... Just something to remember when riding in traffic...

Once again, WELCOME and ride safe!
This is a great example of what you learn in the MSF class of what to do with tailgaters. Answer: give yourself enough distance (even if you have to speed up a bit) between you and the tailgater. 2-second rule.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a cop do the same thing to me when riding with a buddy. He was about 2 feet off my rear tire (probably getting my plate #) before he pulled up next to me and told me he was going to pull us both over. :mad: I was pretty mad cause it was in a wooded area at dusk so if a deer jumped out and I grabbed a handful of brakes I would've been a hood ornament on a Crown Vic. Looking back on it, I should've just pulled over as soon as he started riding my rear.

·
Registered
44 Posts
shekshishekki said:
SUV's are just jerks!!! They really think they own the road
Hey, hey, hey, don't go generalizing like that. I drive an SUV when I'm not riding my bike. That driver would probably behave the same if he (or she!) was driving a '78 Olds Cutlass Supreme. With that said, I don't like them behind me either, or in front of me for that matter: I like to be able to see a couple of cars ahead of me.

Noob, you did just fine. I did pretty much the same on my first rides. I was mentally exhausted by the time I'd get home, but it gets better and rather quickly.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
glad everything worked out... like the SV so far? :)

some cagers (okay, many) are just jerks. :(

·
Registered
270 Posts
ive been out riding my bosses hardley lately (cuz i dont have my bike yet) and it tripped me out to see how many people will actually tailgate you ...my boss told me i did the wrong thing by turning around and flipping them off...because they are in a 6000 pound piece of steel that can be aimed like a weapon... i suppose he is right...and now i give them their space.

N

·
0 Posts
Lots of good advice so far.

+1 on watching your six- just don't let it distract you from what's ahead of you.

+1 also on not letting anyone else dictate how you ride (i.e. tailgating you). Maintain control of the situation even if it means pulling over.

Another don't: don't take it personally. Many people are blissfully unaware that they are tailgating; if you let them get to you, you will start to make stupid mistakes (maybe you won't, but I know I will!).

Ride safe!

:)

·
Registered
238 Posts
andyauger said:
Scary stuff.   You shouldn't put too much attention on what's behind you.  Virtually all problems are coming from in front of you.  Props for keeping aware of your surroundings, though.  With experience it gets easier and more automatic.
+1 this is good advice. You rule "your" space don't worry about if you're holding them up. They'll pass if they get too impatient. If not, you did the right thing by getting the hell away from 'em. Props.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Good work on pulling over and avoiding the SUV. Also, props for not panicing and remembering to use the clutch with that wobble. Karma for you ;D

I had a car on the interstate tonoght almost rear end me at 80+ mph. She backed off and came back at me again, at which time I turned around and gave her the WTF! hand gesture (Stupid to do at that speed in rush hour traffic, I know). Knowing full well that if I pulled out to pass the cars in front of me that she'd be on my arse, I motioned for her to get around me and to do so quickly. She got the hint and sped off, almost hitting someone else. At least it wasn't me.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Most accidents by noobs, are caused by freaking out. Its better that you just relax... be a smart ass if you have to. Just dont let anyone make you ride outside of your limits.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts