Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
TotalBlackout said:
I welcome your opinion, but I don't think it is enough to convince me yet.

Are the plastic bumpers useless? I was under the impression that they would be effective in some manner.
http://www.beginnerandbeyond.com/
http://www.beginnerandbeyond.com/mo...name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=18
http://www.beginnerandbeyond.com/in...ic&t=991&sid=caecb476e0265214cbdab695cc8ea31c
http://www.beginnerbikers.org/
http://www.beginnerbikers.org/showthread.php?t=2040&highlight=sv-650

More searches on both of those sites will give you plenty of insight.

I started on a Ninja 250, sold it 6 months later for $100 more than I paid for it (bought it used) and moved on to the SV. Probably the best thing I ever did. The SV will bite you if you are a true beginner...riding 150cc dirtbikes and low power cruisers (yes an 1100 cc cruiser is low power compared to the HP/weight ratio of the SV) is not a lot of prior experience.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
okay,

took the MSF this past weekend.

Glad I did. Hopefully I will be able to find a good lot on which to practice some of those manuevers with my SV.

If all goes well, I should be riding it this weekend. I just have to have it shipped to me here in NC.

I've been doing some reading around here and other sites, but I was wondering what were the differences between the 04 sv650 and sv650s models. Any additional spec info. I know the seating position is different as are the plastics included. Anything else?

I met this woman at the MSF this weekend and she was saying how a lot of racers are after the SV650s'es and that they are difficlut to find. She also said she wants to give it a ride when mine arrives. Should I let her on it?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Gearings are different:
sv650 - 15F 45R
sv650s - 15F 44R

so, nakeds are a bit quicker but "s" are a little faster.

·
Registered
142 Posts
One other thing I noticed from the pic....there's no grab bar. It has been removed. Make sure to get one if you plan on using a cargo net over the rear seat. The tie down hook points are at the bottom of each side of the grab bar. If you're planning on nixing the rear seat and installing a cowl cover, then nevermind.

G

·
TotalBlackout said:
"...She also said she wants to give it a ride when mine arrives. Should I let her on it?"
I never loan and I never borrow bikes. It's just too great a risk, even if it's someone you know well....IMO!

:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I've spoken with the dealer and the seat cowl comes with the bike, it just isn't in the pic.

Yeah, I don't know about that lending business. Makes me nervous, and that should be a pretty good sign that it is a bad idea.

I can't wait til this weekend.

G

·
TotalBlackout said:
It comes with what looks like a yoshi round slip on exhaust. Is that worth keeping or is a full exhaust system worthwhile, tri-oval?
Just so you know, that exhaust doesn't look like a round can. Pretty sure it is a TRS slip-on. Maybe I am wrong, but it looks triangular to me. Although, I sat at my lake cabin all weekend drinking Long Island Teas and Miller High Life, so, anyways....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
i should be speaking with the dealer later today. I've been meaning to verify which pipes they are.

Is the full exhaust worth looking into if it already comes with the slip-ons?

I asked if the forks felt soft like I have read a number of folks complaning about here. He said you guys are just a bunch of nuts and that I shouldn't worry yet about that amount of difference in performance. I figure whoever had this bike beforehand may have replaced the oil anyway.

G

·
I personally wouldn't spend the money on a full exhaust. You might gain a little, but it just doesn't seem like a good investment.

As far as the suspension is concerned, I wouldn't change a thing until you've rolled up enough miles to form your own opinion. What's unbearable for one rider could be just fine for another, y'know?

·
Registered
53 Posts
About the forks.... he just doesn´t know what is saying.
If you are new to bikes, they must be ok for awhile; but when you´ve got a little more experience you´ll see what we´re talking about...

Anyone SHOULD replace stock suspensions (both F and R) and the stock tyres as well.
By replacing forks (springs, oil) you´ll notice a big improvement not just in handling but in braking too.

"a bunch of nuts..." :D :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
okay, i should be set with exhaust and everything i guess.

nc_sv650, where are the good rides nearby? I wanna plan some ventures in the immediate area and get a feel for the bike in the coming weeks. One of the guys I work with has a Ducati Monster and I plan on taking a trip or two with him soon. Maybe you could give us a few more routes worth checking out.

I'm pretty sure now that the bike will arrive on Saturday. Its gonna be a long week.

And I bet you it rains for three days once I get it. New bike curse...

I actually have to confess that my father is the dealer, and he has been the one giving me the info on the bike and he is giving me the bike at cost rather than retail. He has been riding bikes for the past 30years and I think I can trust his evaluation. (He was the one who taught me how to ride my dirt bikes.) I've had him looking out for good bikes for me for awhile now and this has been the first one he has come across that was not a Katana and that I have actually been interested in.

Anyway, I'm gonna be posting pics of myself and the bike ASAP.

·
Registered
434 Posts
if you got the usb power commander its easy to get mappings of the net. no need tochange over to the full exhaust.

also the lower fairings aren't so difficult to remove that it might not be a bad idea to strip'em for your first couple rides. part of that new bike curse seems to be the need to put a ding in it in the first couple weeks.

G

·
TotalBlackout said:
"...nc_sv650, where are the good rides nearby? I wanna plan some ventures in the immediate area and get a feel for the bike in the coming weeks. One of the guys I work with has a Ducati Monster and I plan on taking a trip or two with him soon. Maybe you could give us a few more routes worth checking out..."
Beats the heck outta me! My bike knows the way to work and back, and that's about all. Most (many) people park it during the week and ride on the weekend; I do the opposite. Maybe some other locals have some suggestions?

"...I actually have to confess that my father is the dealer..."
That's one way to find a dealer you can trust! :wink:

Congrats, ride safe!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Man you´ve started this thread. Do you remember your first post?

Well if your dad is the dealer, why are you asking for some tips about how to talk with him??? :?

He´s your father!!!!!!!!! You should know how to do it!!
If mine own´s a bike shop, i would trust his word and will not asking for strangers advice.

But forks, shock and stock tyres still sucking. When you´ve got the chance to ride a recent SS you´ll understand how bad....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
well, yes you are all strangers, however it was not the stranger in you that I was after. Rather it was the knowledgable/helpful SV owners/enthusiasts that you are. My father knows his bikes, but I doubt he has the enthusiast interest in this single model that most around here do. He doesn't even deal in Suzukis unless they are trade-ins.

sorry if my posts unsettled you but I had my reasons. I didn't want to be guy who just rolls up here with his first post and says, "Hey everybody look what my Daddy is giving me, ain't it great?"

Its my first bike and while I'm totally excited, I'm nervous as hell. I think I'm gonna be taking it pretty easy for quite a while. Pop says the forks are good, I'm sure they will be for the time being. Probably buy a set Pilot Powers next season too.

Later.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts