Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying my first motorcycle and thinking about this SV650.

http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/4/5/80109945.htm

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/comments regarding buying a used bike like this one. Are there things I should be asking the dealer that maybe I wouldn't think of on my own.

Is this one a deal? Should I just get it by the end of the week?

help appreciated

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Price is too high.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Looks pretty nice to me....the add-ons alone are probably worth a couple grand. 3700 miles is nothing...barely broken in.

N

·
0 Posts
Are you sure you want to start out on something with full bodywork? Most (well, many) folks start out on something a little more "disposable", if you know what I mean.

:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how about the power commander?

is that something I should be able to use without much study, or is it automatically configured, or what?

It comes with what looks like a yoshi round slip on exhaust. Is that worth keeping or is a full exhaust system worthwhile, tri-oval?

I'm probably getting a little ahead of myself, but I'm getting pretty f'n excited. I'll be taking my Basic Rider Course this weekend.

That superman decal will have to go...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nc_sv650 said:
Are you sure you want to start out on something with full bodywork? Most (well, many) folks start out on something a little more "disposable", if you know what I mean.

I planned on buying those plastic sliders/bumpers. I'm going to try real hard to not drop it though. Is that what you mean? I doubt I'll be anything less than extremely cautious for awhile anyway.

Its probably been six years since I had my RM125 and 250 in high school, but at least I'm not completely inexperienced, and I'll have the course under my belt as well.

Do insurance companies usually only cover liability on these bikes?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
first of all, what superman decal? i only see the suzuki s on the tank. is that what you're talking about?

second, if this is your first street bike and you haven't even taken the msf course or gotten your license yet, then you might really want to ask the dealer for an ex500 or gs500 to learn on.

you're going to drop the bike as your learning. it's guaranteed. do you really want to drop something as pretty as that yellow svs?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the super man symbol is that giant S on the wind deflector.

its just cosmetic damage if i drop it, most likely, right. I can replace that, and learn an expensive lesson.
hopefully not though. I've ridden my dad's shadow sabre briefly, and this can't weigh near as much as that.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
TotalBlackout said:
the super man symbol is that giant S on the wind deflector.

its just cosmetic damage if i drop it, most likely, right. I can replace that, and learn an expensive lesson.
hopefully not though. I've ridden my dad's shadow sabre briefly, and this can't weigh near as much as that.
LOL - no idea how i missed that "S"

riding a shadow "briefly" does not an expert make. do yourself a favor and buy a cheaper, used, smaller bike to learn to ride on. one you won't kick yourself for each time you drop it and need to replace the signals or levers. trust me - voice of experience.

your wallet will thank you too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I started on a beat 1981 GPZ550 cafe racer I got for $500 (he wanted $900) It was the best way to start riding. Don't get something that is going to cost you 2k (exagerated) to repair when you drop it because you didn't get the kick stand out all the way. You also don't mind trying to do stuff to a cheap bike and possibly screwing it up (like I always did) :oops: Plus I appricited my new bike 10 times as much when I got it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I welcome your opinion, but I don't think it is enough to convince me yet.

Are the plastic bumpers useless? I was under the impression that they would be effective in some manner.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
TotalBlackout said:
I welcome your opinion, but I don't think it is enough to convince me yet.

Are the plastic bumpers useless? I was under the impression that they would be effective in some manner.
i dont expect to change your mind. and that's fine. it's not my money you're spending. however, i will be here to tell you "I told you so" when you drop it and need to drop $300-400 on new fairings.

the plastic bumpers? you mean the frame sliders? they generall work to save the lowers most of the time, but they wont save levers or signals. a new lever is going to cost you about $40 each time you snap it. signal covers? probably $3-5, unless you invest in flushmounts.

N

·
0 Posts
TotalBlackout said:
"...Do insurance companies usually only cover liability on these bikes?"
They'll sell you whatever you are willing to buy, so in that sense full coverage is available although it can get pricey depending on the model insured and the individual's record. The MSF course might get you a slight discount, so it wouldn't hurt to mention it to your insurance agent.

Some (more is better!) dirtbike time really helps with basic skills but the woods and MX tracks aren't populated by Buicks and minivans. Never forget that you are, for all intents and purposes, invisible out there; they will look right at you and then try to kill you.

Good luck- ride paranoid- ride smart...

Hopefully I'll see ya around town (I work in RTP)!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well great, I'll let you know how the negotiations and what not go.

thanks for the info.

if you know anything about that power commander let me know.
If i understand it correctly it adjust the fuel/air mixture according to engine RPM. and things like the slip ons or air filter require adjustments to the maps that govern the mixtures, right? it probably also governs the performance/economy relationship?

N

·
0 Posts
I'm stuck in the last century (carbs), but what the Power Commander does in it's most basic form is to act as a signal conditioner between the computer and the injector system. IIRC, it adds more fuel by extending the injectors' 'on' time slightly, and has low-mid-high RPM adjustments.

As they get more sophisticated (more expensive) they add features like downloadable mapping, USB interfaces, ignition mapping etc (I'm not sure how much of this is applicable to the SV since it apparently has a fairly basic FI system- open loop, 2D mapping only).

Since it is taking the place of mechanical carb adjustments, the PC is very important to driveability, economy and performance. Can you get by without one? Probably, but you'd be better off with a properly tuned bike (properly tuned in this case probably means a trip to the dyno with an experienced tech doing the fine tuning).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Nice bike!
I dunno nothing about the price cause i´m in Europe...
But the first thing (if you´ll buy it) must be the frame sliders; forgot about the plastics if you´ll crash it, but they´ll do the job saving your frame and engine in almost lowsides.
Second, get better tyres as soon as you could; you´ll probably find how nasty they´re in just a few miles.
About the power commander it´s a must, and the bikes with an f/s and an aftermarket filter need it in order to optimize the air/fuel ratio; the bike in the pic seems to have the stock pipes (only the slip-on), I don´t know if it needs it.
When you´ll buy an used bike (since you don´t have much experience) take a friend with you, if possible you both ride it and talk a bit about.

But that one is probably a good bike that someone trade it for a gixxer or so.

·
OberKommandant
6,127 Posts
Anybody notice the black hyosung sitting next to the SV in the pic? That's the first time I've seen one at a dealer. I'd be curious to check it out.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts