Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's do stealers charge these days for the first service (600 miles)?  What does the first service include besides oil change?  Do they tighten bolts and perform or at least check the valves?

·
Registered
212 Posts
they do check valves but my dealer said that they were fine and he didnt feel they needed to be checked. Total cost was like $57. That was oil change and to adjust the chain

·
Registered
82 Posts
the service manual says you only need an oil change at 600 miles and check tightness of bolts. You do not need to check valve clearence until 15,000 miles. If your dealer told you he checked he lied to you so you felt better about a $57.00 oil change.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
valve inpection is NOT required or part of first service

first service is oil & filer, check fasteners, adjust & lube clutch & throttle cables, adjust & lube chain check fluiids and general inspection of bike.  to be done completly and correctly, expect 1.5-2 hours labor, $25-30 in parts

$140-$200 seems to be the common range

·
Registered
324 Posts
RandyO said:

first service is oil & filer, check fasteners, adjust & lube clutch & throttle cables, adjust & lube chain check fluiids and general inspection of bike. to be done completly and correctly, expect 1.5-2 hours labor, $25-30 in parts

+1. I paid $175.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how do you ensure that the dealer or any service station actually performs all the required task? Do you watch them or do you just hope they perform what you are paying them to do?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I really don't want to piss anybody off, but the 600 mile service is a piece of cake if you have the manual. If you can't perform the service yourself, you may want to look into other hobbies, such as knitting, origami, or tennis.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
RoostMonkey said:
I really don't want to piss anybody off, but the 600 mile service is a piece of cake if you have the manual.  If you can't perform the service yourself, you may want to look into other hobbies, such as knitting, origami, or tennis.
and the tools, workspace & time, it's not a piece of cake for a lot of people. maybe you are a hobbyist motorcycle mechanic, but my interest is riding not wrenching,

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I did my own, but it took some un-common sized sockets (including some socket type allen wrenches) and a good torque wrench to do properly. I used to be a motorcycle mechanic, but I could see why some folks take it to a dealer to have done.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
RandyO said:

first service is oil & filer, check fasteners, adjust & lube clutch & throttle cables, adjust & lube chain check fluiids and general inspection of bike.  to be done completly and correctly, expect 1.5-2 hours labor, $25-30 in parts

+1

the most important thing done there is checking and retorqueing all critical fasteners. our bikes are subjected to a lot of bumping and vibrating, and the fasteners sometimes loosen themselves.

mine was only about $100.

you CAN do it yourself, if you have a service manual, and have access to a torque wrench and a full set of metric sockets. if the dealer isn't trying to gouge you with the price, it's probably worth it to have them do it unless you're a wrench head anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts