Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday morning it rained in central Florida. I figured this would be a good time to see how the tires worked in the rain. Good news, the tires work ok. Not so good news, the front spark plug doesn't work in the rain. I didn't get 5 miles from home before my SV650 was an SV325. Today, I figured it would be dry and would be back to running on both cylinders, but it fouled the plug bad enough that I had to pull the plug, dry it and reassemble everything. It's back to running on both cylinders again.

I stopped in at my local dealer and ordered the plug cap and rubber boots. Suzuki and the dealership very proud of those items it came to $82. That doesn't include coils, wires or new spark plugs. So, in a couple of weeks when the parts come in, I'll go ahead and replace the plugs and check the valve clearance.

Since you've read this far, do you have a feel for which way the valves might be and how often they really need to be checked? Mine has 23k miles and the previous owner didn't mention doing a valve adjustment. I'm pretty sure he bought it used, so I don't know when it was last adjusted. Now I wonder which toolbox has my micrometer in it. . . I know where the feeler gauges are, I just used those last month.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Make sure the little drain hole that goes from the spark plug well to the side of the cylinder head is clear.
Valves tend to tighten up over time.
Check every 15k miles. Most of the time they don’t need adjustment, but given the consequences of a too tight value don’t be tempted to skip the check.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you. I'll check the drain before riding today even though no rain is in the forecast. I coated the boots and cap on my other bike with liquid electrical tape before installing it. I hadn't thought of the inner tube idea. I'll try that as well. Thanks again.
Leon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took the bike out again today, front cylinder still isn't right. It would sometimes work, which is rather exciting when the throttle is nearly wide open in 2d. The rubber boot at the bottom of the spark plug cap was broken it seems that part really is needed So I turned around again and brought it back home. Drained the coolant, removed the radiator, haven't removed the valve covers yet. It will get new plugs and boots, valve adjustment and fresh coolant. I also ordered a fender extender. I'll be riding my dirt bike for the next couple of weeks. New update when all that is finished. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
8,361 Posts
When installing the new plug caps it is a good idea to snip 1/4" off the end of the high-tension coil wire for best contact.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Took the bike out again today, front cylinder still isn't right. It would sometimes work, which is rather exciting when the throttle is nearly wide open in 2d. The rubber boot at the bottom of the spark plug cap was broken it seems that part really is needed So I turned around again and brought it back home. Drained the coolant, removed the radiator, haven't removed the valve covers yet. It will get new plugs and boots, valve adjustment and fresh coolant. I also ordered a fender extender. I'll be riding my dirt bike for the next couple of weeks. New update when all that is finished. Thanks again.
Have a read of this thread,

The SD05FMR or SD05FMB are easily available here in the UK but I've struggled to find a US supplier. UK Ebay sellers may post Internationally.

Update: I've found them here for US users,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Easy fix. First, pull front boot off spark plug dry it and the area around the front spark plug making sure everything is dry. Make sure the drain hole is not clogged. Replace boot and put some RTV around the top of the boot as it isn't water tight. Second, purchase a front finder extender. I did this after having the same problem. Haven't had any problems sense. I ride a 2001 SV650s.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pull front boot . . .making sure everything is dry.. .drain hole is not clogged. ..RTV . . .front finder extender. . 2001 SV650s.
Mine is also an '01. Did all you suggested. Since I had it apart, I figured this would be a good time to adjust the valves and replace the coolant. Didn't realize I would need gaskets for the Cam Chain tensioners, those haven't come in yet so the bike is still down. At 31K miles, all valves were right at the tight end of ok.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts