Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 months ago I had my sv650 stolen and I'd been debating between getting another sv650 or getting the sv1000, or getting something else. In the end I splurged and picked up the sv1000s.

and OH MY GOD...

it has been the best experience.

For in city street riding th sv1k runs alittle hot... but on the highways and riding the ramps. Oh it's so sweet. The little added weight makes it feel so right to me. I loved my sv650 and had so much fun riding it.... I felt it performed the best in the city and crusing around. I only had 4OOO miles on it, and i thought it was the bike ... but even after 50 miles on the sv1k. I know i made the right choice...

the 650 is a great bike.... i love it.... i'm glad it was my first bike... it's very forgiving and lots of fun. and there isn't a point where I felt like it could get away from me. its like having a girlfriend who'll forgive you when you fuck around.... who'll roll over when you're being pushy. and love a ride anytime for anything. i could have seen myself with my 650 for atleast a couple of years... but ...... i knew eventually i would want to move on to another ride.

but the 1k... it's hotblooded..... the bike is wants to be muscled around. it wants to run fast and hard. rolling on the throtle it's got fire and agression thats more intense then i expected. it doesn't just want to ride how you want to ride... it rides only as well as you push it to ride.

buying an SV has been an amazing experience. i had stepped into a great adventure, and I love riding.... now with this new bike, i feel like i've got the reigns of a monster who looks like my nice little sv. but somehow is a whole other mistress of a ride. I dont trust it,... i don't feel like i'm totally in control of it... but i love it. i love the sv1k. i can't imagine wanting another bike.

before i'd dream of the day my insurance would get cheap enough to go supersport or sport tour.... but now i feel like I ended up riding the hottest bike out there. it's like a dirty little secret, the sv1k is a hot bike!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hey v,
I'm in the same situation you're in. Bike was stolen this past weekend and I know I want another SV. Just a matter of 650 or 1k. Still new to riding with only about 2k mi. I felt confident and in control of my 650 almost 100% of the time (except when my balls started getting a little to big!). dunno how much of a difference the 1k will be as far as my learning curve. guess it might just depend on my wallet size once everything is said and done... oh well. still got awhile to think on it.
~Twisty

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I made the decision to go 650 because I have been out of the riding circuit for a few years, and didnt ride that long to start with. I love the bike, but I figured the SV1k would be the key. about the same size, and more fun power. :twisted: I'm thinking I'll ride it until its paid for, then see if I can drop it low enough for my GF, then move onto the 1k. I've loved everything I've ever heard about it, and this thread only secures that theory. 8) I want one!

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i totally think the sv650 is a great bike. and it'll resale well..... I'd suggest it to anyone who hasn't been riding long and needs to grow into the sport. But the surprise for me was just how much MORE the sv1k had to it then i expected. It's alittle longer, it's alittle heavier, it's not as "flickable", but a stable platform for riding... you can move, lean, everything. I found the sv650 alittle twitchy over the bumps if i was leaned over, the sv1k isn't half as bad. I also don't have the wind pushing me around as easily. After riding it for a couple of miles I think the suspension needs some serious dialing.... but it's got the options to really dail it in.

I've also found out that you can direct swap the rims from a GSXR. (which makes swaping the front end easier... less parts to buy, no need to move the speed sensor) And things like cutting the battery box for a better shock aren't nessisary since the stock shock has a reseviour tip on it. Engine mod wise..... I haven't looked into modding that yet.... but desnorkled it's awesome... and next i'm getting rid of the exhaust restricter to see what that does performance wise. Where on the sv650 we'd been jumping through hoops to mod the bike, the sv1k seems like a much easier beast to mess with.

the SV line is a great line of bikes.... I've been loving the experience non-stop. I'd suggest either one to ride....

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am sort of in the same situation as V and twistyeater but my 650 was totaled in a pretty bad crash 2 months ago and I loved my 650 I put 7500 miles on it in under 2 years. It was a great bike I had a blast on it never let me down i had no problems at all. I bought my 03 sv1000 naked a month ago it seams to do everything pretty well except sit in traffic sit for 5 min and the temp goes from 192 to 220 and my seat is roasting but its been 90+ degrees for the last month. I think it handles about the same as my 650 the suspension is allot better in stock form but it pushes the front a little when accerating hard from a stop and I can't redline it in any gear or I'm speeding and instead of running it through the gears passing a car shift down to 3rd roll on the throttle and let off before your next to the car to avoid going over 100. It also has power anytime at any rpm. But i realy do like the bike alot I couldn't have gotten a better bike for me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
;D Man I just got a sv1000s 2004 three days ago,Im in love.I have very little riding experience but I stay off the throtle partly because of the 6000rpm breakin but partly because its gonna put the front wheel in the air if you dont.My nads are growing but I dont plan on any trick riding just exited cruises.Its kinda like a beautiful woman who is hot tempered,touchy,and great in the sack.I mean it Im in love.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Ah, to be young again...

The funny thing is that on the Sport Touring site I frequent, guys with Hayabusas and Blackbirds and ZZR1200s sometimes yearn for smaller bikes that are more fun to ride, and the SV650 and various super-motards are frequently suggested by people who have ridden all types of bikes.

I have a sport tourer that makes twice the horsepower of teh SV650, and if I had to chose between the two, I'd keep the Sv650. But I don't ahve to choose and that's the great thing about riding various bikes: different models excel at different things.

Power is nice if you don't let it get you into trouble. But I have as much fun under 70mph on my KLR as I do on the SV650 with twice the horsepower. I sometimes yearn for a smaller, lighter, more flickable bike, and I lust after a streetable RS250. But such things are an aquired taste.

Enjoy what you ride. That's the main thing. In retrospect you can always buy back the bikes you let get away. And many of us eventually do. 'Course some of us just never sell our prior bikes and build bigger garages instead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts