Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off like to say I really enjoy this site. Lots of good information and good people. Anyway, this past february I purchased my first bike. A 2004 yellow SV650s w/full fairings for what I think is a good price at $6200 out the door (tax, tags etc...). I loved this bike from the first time my butt hit the saddle, well ya'll know how it is with your first bike. But saddly to say this past friday night I got back to my apartment after hanging out with some buddies to, yup you guessed it! NO BIKE!!!!! Some other guy realized what a great bike it was and wanted it all to him self :evil: And to add insult to injury after the initial shock wore off alittle I started to look around and found my right side mirror on the ground under my work truck! So not only did the A-hole steal my baby, but he dropped it too! I called the cops and made a report and got the news that I would probably never see her again, which I pretty much figured. So anyway, if any of you guys from NC are around and see a yellow 650s w/out a right side mirror, give him a piece of your mind (and mabe your boot!) for me. Anyway, love the site and just needed a place to vent for awhile.
~Twisty Eater

·
Registered
170 Posts
This really sucks for your first post man. I feel for you bro, but hopefully you were fully insured and we can re-welcome you back to the sv-rider brother and sister hood of riding :cry: :D

·
Registered
313 Posts
That seriously sucks, give us a bit more info on the bike, where in NC, mods done that might be parted out.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankfully I am fully insured. Waiting for a call from my claim adjuster to see how much I'm going to get. I hope my claim gets resolved soon, all this beautiful weather and I can't ride. Tough part is going to be if I should keep it parked in the parking lot again or keep it in a storage unit or something... any suggestions about theft prevention?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in Raleigh NC, no mods to the bike other than full fairings (haven't seen any other SV's in the area with them). Thanks for the help, and sympathy :?

·
Registered
26 Posts
That really sucks man. This is the second SV in Wake County that's been stolen in the last few weeks.

Amazing how valuable our little SV's have become to fuggin thieves. Just a year or so ago, they wouldn't have given it a second glance. Now, it seems they're getting stolen more and more often. Seems as if only the S models are getting stolen tho. Glad I'm naked! :)

TwistyEater - You've got PM's.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
I am sorry to hear about that and I hope your insurance company resolves it quickly for you.

As far as bike security, check out the ground anchor at the bottom of this page

edit - it won't let me link the page, so go here

http://www.kryptonitelock.com

then products, home & job site and it is the ground anchor at the bottom of the page.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Okay I'm not going to try to make you feel bad but did you have a cover over the bike??? Did you lock the forks??? Did you have a front disc lock on??? Did you chain the bike to a post, ground anchor or anything non moveable??? Did you park under a street light infront of a building??? And last of all, did you ever think that some might want to steal your bike??

Sorry it happened but I have to ask these questions when I hear of bikes getting stolen and the shock the owners feel when it happens.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I work at a dealership in Charlotte. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for your bike. You can PM me any distinguishing marks or mods.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nexus,
answers to your questions in order:
Yes the bike was covered, yes the forks were locked, yes a lock on brake, no anchor (nowhere to attach to), pretty well lit parking lot in front of building, and no I didn't think anyone would steal it (there are 3 other bike's in my apartment complex, sportbikes and a harley). The neighbor hood I live in is a pretty good area so I didn't really expect it to happen. But as we all know sh** does happen. Oh well... thanks everyone for your feedback and well wishes
~Twisty

·
Registered
50 Posts
That is awful. I've been wondering if this same thing could happen to me.

I live in Durham and have no place to keep the bike in season. I don't have the bike yet, but I will soon. I've got theft insurance but i still don't want to have to deal with losing my bike.

I guess i'm going to get a cover and front disc lock, but i was wondering if that would be enough. Finding an anchor may be a pain, but might be worth my trouble.

The bike I'm getting sounds exactly like yours. '04 SV650S full fairing (yellow). I will definitely be aware if I see one like it in the area. I don't make it to Wake County often, but there is no telling where a stolen vehicle will show up.

Good-luck.

·
Registered
90 Posts
TwistyEater said:
Tough part is going to be if I should keep it parked in the parking lot again or keep it in a storage unit or something... any suggestions about theft prevention?
I live in an apartment buildgin as well, with an unsecured parking lot. I'm also not in the best area of my city. In april my car got broken into and my radio and Mountain bike were stolen, so theft is definately on my mind. Here's what I've done.

4' by 4' by 8' wooden box with a hinged top in my parking lot

you see in the above pic on the floor of the box the red cable lock that goes through the floor and around the rear wheel.

I love this because I can drive in and not have to wait an hour for the engine to cool to put the cover on, as I used to have to before I had the box. It also hides the fact that there is a bike in there, whereas if you use a cover, people still know it's a bike.
If this fails, I'm fully insured.

Good luck in getting back on 2 wheels soon.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey ace,
great setup you got there, not a bad idea. I don't think my rental agency will let me mount an anchor in their parking lot, and I don't always get to park my truck next to my bike. I'm in the millwork buisness so lumber won't be a problem 8)
cheers
~ Twisty

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thank Twisty.

Also, If you don't want to build a box, you can do what I did before the box. If you look at the trash can on the right of the box in my pictures, you'll notice a rebar loop sticking out the bottom. That is because the can is full of concrete and weighs (sp?) about 400 lbs. That used to be my anchor last summer. It is now used to lock up friend's bikes when they visit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
twisty...that sucks and im glad you had insurance...

ace...thats a siiick setup u got there!

- alex

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thieves

Two Wheel Tuesday did a great expose about bike theft. Guy that now works for insurance companies and used to be a bike theif did a great job telling everyone what to do and what not to do.

Appartments and even gated ones are easy pickings he said. A brake lock can be broken with a screwdiver. Lighted areas are not a deterrent. Cable locks are easily cut. He said he would sell your bike on the open black market for $1 per CC. A 600cc bike was $600. A 1000cc bike was $1000 Amazing! They usually picked them up and put them in cargo type van. Rallies and Daytona type settings were huge pay dirt for these guys.

The only deterent he said was put inside your garage. Legally if he was caught in your house, he could be shot for burglery, and you have absolutely every right to do so. Therefore, he NEVER stole from inside a personal residence. He valued his life apparently.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
TwistyEater said:
Nexus,
answers to your questions in order:
Yes the bike was covered, yes the forks were locked, yes a lock on brake, no anchor (nowhere to attach to), pretty well lit parking lot in front of building, and no I didn't think anyone would steal it (there are 3 other bike's in my apartment complex, sportbikes and a harley). The neighbor hood I live in is a pretty good area so I didn't really expect it to happen. But as we all know sh** does happen. Oh well... thanks everyone for your feedback and well wishes
~Twisty
Well good, glad you did all you could have to protect it. I'm just tired of people posting messages that they were shocked someone stole there new uncovered bike left in a parking lot.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Re: Thieves

knee-dragger777 said:
Two Wheel Tuesday did a great expose about bike theft. Guy that now works for insurance companies and used to be a bike theif did a great job telling everyone what to do and what not to do.

Appartments and even gated ones are easy pickings he said. A brake lock can be broken with a screwdiver. Lighted areas are not a deterrent. Cable locks are easily cut. He said he would sell your bike on the open black market for $1 per CC. A 600cc bike was $600. A 1000cc bike was $1000 Amazing! They usually picked them up and put them in cargo type van. Rallies and Daytona type settings were huge pay dirt for these guys.
however I don't think there are too many orders for new SVs by the pros. Most are local guys that strip and sell the parts on Scambay or other online markets.

Down here in Orlando a few years back there was a guy that worked at one of the Suzuki dealerships and he would copy customers keys while their bikes were in for service and then he could pick and choose the bike he later on would simply put the key in and drive away with. The cops found a bunch of stripped bikes in the bottom of a retention pond after he was busted.

How does that grab ya. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts