Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of starting to mod my 03 sv650s. What were your guys' initial modifications? Any suggestions? Thanks guys!

-Jon.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
My first two mods were to put in a DC charger and a Givi top case. Best two things I've ever done to the bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got frame sliders and new tires, so I'm good with that. Does the SV suspension suck that bad?

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I've got frame sliders and new tires, so I'm good with that. Does the SV suspension suck that bad?
That's what they'll tell you here. But unless you plan on track riding or breaking the speed limit by a very large amount, you're fine. I've got a bone stock bike and I still outrun my friends on their rockets.

But for the hell of it I'm putting in upgraded suspension this winter. Mainly because I plan on doing track riding.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what they'll tell you here. But unless you plan on track riding or breaking the speed limit by a very large amount, you're fine. I've got a bone stock bike and I still outrun my friends on their rockets.

But for the hell of it I'm putting in upgraded suspension this winter. Mainly because I plan on doing track riding.
I got you. I don't really plan on tracking this bike until I've got another bike. Which won't be till I get my tax refund at least haha. For my skill level, which is still pretty n00b, I don't mind the suspension all that much. Of course, I probably haven't ridden enough to know what's what.

·
Registered
327 Posts

Depending on your weight, it is that bad. At 205# in gear, it was absolutely horrid for me. A ZX-14 shock and .95 springs and emulators transformed this into a whole new beast that was all kinds of sure-footed around the sh*t roads in DC. To each their own but I feel this bike can use some suspension work for just about anyone.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Depending on your weight, it is that bad. At 205# in gear, it was absolutely horrid for me. A ZX-14 shock and .95 springs and emulators transformed this into a whole new beast that was all kinds of sure-footed around the sh*t roads in DC. To each their own but I feel this bike can use some suspension work for just about anyone.
I agree. I'm 200lbs without any gear, and the suspension is just way too soft for me. I don't ride hard on the streets and I've never taken this bike to the track. I came from a Ninja 250 and I immediately hated the suspension in comparison... and it's not like the Ninja 250s are known for their awesome suspensions.

This being said, I've got 15,000 miles on my bike and I still haven't upgraded my springs or shock. However, I recognize this is a deficiency and I plan on upgrading eventually.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
I use to not understand all the wining about the suspension... then I bought another SV.

After riding my track SV with a high grade suspension, the stock stuff is not up to par, and I am only 150. Riding the stock bike was misserable, like a sensory overload. Granted, I did get over it after a second ride and do still enjoy blasting twisty roads on stock gear.

The real question: What do you plan to use the bike for? Hitting the track? suspension. Basic riding/commuting? frame sliders. Sport touring? hard case. Only taking her out during bike night? Fender eliminator

Moral of what I am saying: There are a lot of realy cool things you can do with your bike, but the most important thing is to get those wheels spinning and enjoy the ride :thumbsup:

P.S. Good gear and Advanced riders courses are a VERY good idea regardless of what you plan to do with the bike.

Ninja Edit: After rereading the original post, You asked what my first mod was. My first mods were all cosmetic (fender eliminator, powder coating parts, etc. etc.) and then I wrecked.... Minor, but really pissed me off. I spent the next month or two riding around angery and then I realized how much I was still loving riding even with the minor scuffs. Since then I have fallen even deeper in love with riding and have arguably enjoyed it more because I no longer worry about the scuffs and scratches that go along with multi day rides, high milage summers, and trailering to the track. The only thing i add to that bike now is gas and rountine maintanance, and I love every minute of it.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
My mods were sliders, saddle-bags and rearsets. Then new tires, but those aren't really a mod.

Each one absolutely necessary for different reasons.

My inclination was to repair the things that I damaged in a lowside that happened really early on, but I'm glad I got over it and fixed what really needed fixing.

I'll probably buy more gear (winter is coming!) before suspension.

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts

I'll have to strongly disagree and until you have tried suspension upgrades you can't really have an honest opinion on it. I didn't realize how bad the stock suspension was until I ungraded it.

Another common myth is you have to go to the track or be really fast to benefit from upgraded suspension. That's BS, you might have to be fast to NEED better suspension. Better suspension on any vehicle is a benefit to anyone, even if it just to give you a more comfortable ride. I'm not very fast and I definitely notice a huge difference of how the bike rides and handles.

There are a few bumpy roads that I ride regularly and a stretch of I-10 near Beaumont, CA that I could barely ride with stock suspension (in certain lanes). It is much less noticeable even riding straight with upgrades. With the stock suspension my head/helmet would shake so much it would affect my vision on the I-10 section and yes my helmet fits correctly.

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
Motosliders or something comparable would be one of the first things I would recommend. Tires are a common recommendation, but I let mine wear out a while since I hadn't ridden in a few years and wasn't cornering that fast right away.

Spend money on a good helmet, jacket, gloves and boots. Those things will help you more then anything. Good riding pants along with some knee/shin guards are good to have as well.

·
Registered
242 Posts
TPS adjustment which really isn't a mod but smooths out the low rpm riding in traffic etc. and it's free!

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Definitely upgrade the suspension.
Regardless of your riding style, this is the single greatest, most enjoyable & noticeable upgrade you can make to the SV. I was like you at first. I thought the stock setup "wasn't that bad". Until I installed a rear shock & upgraded the front end with oil & springs. It was night & day. Handling improved dramatically, and as a result, my confidence & ride improved by a huge margin.

Best bang for the buck, I tell ya. And I've upgraded and modified just about everything on mine... but the suspension is unquestionably the best money spent.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts