Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2002 650S and will pick it up next week. I am new to riding so until I get comfortable with riding and learn how to ride I will be leaving all performance related components on the bike stock. I am a tinkerer and a mechanic so I gotta turn wrenches on it. Anyways, I am thinking of custom building an undertail out of fiberglass and finding some other brake lights and turn signals. I can work with fiberglass so it will be an easy build. Any ideas as far as lights and ways to mount the liscence plate will be appreciated. I am not fond of the way the plate is mounted on a stock bike, it is kind of tacky looking. I was thinking of mounting it as far back into the undertail as possible. If anyone knows of any good lights that I can use that will be as bright as possible (gotta be seen, ya know?!?!?!) and still look good then leave me a link so I can check them out. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
19 Posts
As always, my recommendation for the first modification done to a bike, any bike, is .... wait for it .... Frame sliders! Good luck, happy motoring.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
+1 for frame sliders ... they save a lot of money on radiator and other part repairs.

Most of us here are using www.motosliders.com because they are more robust and seem to protect more than the OEM ones which suck but are the only option if using lower fairings.

I speak from experience ... get the sliders on first thing.

What comes after?

You want bling or performance?

Performance ... upgrade the suspension first.

Bling ... loud pipe and ... whatever your heart desires.

·
Registered
397 Posts
160th?

·
Registered
571 Posts
somebody on this board used the stock brake light housing and made his own LED circuit board that mounted inside it and then he integrated the turn signals into it. it looked pretty cool from what i remember. i'll try to search for it later. i guess you could also go with a brake light from www.clearalternatives.com

as far as mounting the liscence plate, it is fairly common to see it mounted to the battery box under the seat but in front of the tire. however, you'll have to check your local laws to see how legal this is. some people get in trouble for it while others do not.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dbcooper said:
;)

The frame sliders seem like a good idea.  As for the performance, I think I need to learn to ride before I know what I want to upgrade.  So that leaves the bling, preferrably inexpensive bling that I can make at home such as undertail.  I was kind of thinking of re-routing the exhaust pipe.  I want to maybe hand the exhaust under the undertail so that would mean making a new pipe to go from the engine to the exhaust.  I still dunno yet but the frame sliders definitely are a good idea. I was looking at the frame sliders but 10bomb motorsports said that they'll protect 03+ SV's with stock bodywork. My bike is an 02 and has a full body kit, will the slider still help on my bike?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
sv_dude said:
My bike is an 02 and has a full body kit, will the slider still help on my bike?
sliders aren't meant to protect the body work. just the stuff like the engine and frame.

i personally love the tail lights on the second gen sv's and i'm not the only one. i've had guys on gixxers, cbr's, ninjas, harleys all tell me they love the tail lights on my 05. i've thought about changing them but i can't bring my self to do it. plus they are l.e.d.'s and are bright as hell. think about using 2nd gen lights.

any way frame sliders are a must order them from moto sliders they will answer any questions you have about them. get the kit with the swingarm/rear stand spools. you'll save alotta cash that way plus rear stands kick @$$ for doing any work on the bike.

·
Registered
278 Posts
OK i know you said that you were going to leave the preformance stuff alone but...

Change the fork oil. Its more than just a preformance mod, it will smooth out the response of the front end, both on the brakes and the gas and make the bike much easier to ride. Something like 10wt will work well for you atm.

Frame sliders... I like http://www.motosliders.com/ for the 99-02s Ive laid mine down with them and a friend of mine has dropped his twice (newer rider). They do protect the body work but more than anything they protect the radiator and make sure you can ride the thing out of where ever you dropped it and get back home... important stuff ;)

As for the rear light, you might check ebay and see if you can find one you think will look good on the SV or just get more ideas. More pictures never hurt :) Be aware that if you route the exhaust under the tail that you will loose almost all storage space under there... it may not be much but its nice to have at least a little room back there.

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For now I'm just throwing ideas around. I don't even have my bike yet, will have it thursday. God I cannot wait!! But yeah, I think I'm going to order the sliders tomorrow. They're pretty cheap considering how much they can save you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts