Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy wants to do an Iron Butt within the next few weeks.

I have done several trips that included a few longer days but nothing like a thousand mile day. I think the farthest I've gone in a day was about 525 miles. The good news is that was on the SV.

So I guess I'm looking for any advice and tips to help make the trek a bit easier.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
608 Posts
My advice... start training :)

But please for the love of god, Consult your physician before beginning this or any other exercise program

·
Registered
153 Posts
Good news, I do have standard N handlebars! however no throttle lock or bead rider...
Made one for me and my friend out of a car seat version I got from amazon for $20 shipped. Still have enough left over for a third. (If you want black, buy black dont try to paint them...per other theads advice.) Small investment HUGE payoff. Same with throttle lock. I even got the Sargent seat for my ride. It was a bit expensive but also worth it. Good luck

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
For $20 or so you can get a go cruise throttle assist. I used it on a 900 mile (round trip)ride to the Indy 500 memorial day weekend. I tried the cramp buster but preferred the throttle "lock" of the go cruise. On my svs, I have handlebars with symtec heated grips, corbin and oem gel seats and and buell pegs. I'm not sure which seat I prefer. The corbin is lower, getting me out of the wind more but it is hard and my knees are bent more than when using the gel seat .

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just did my first Iron Butt (Deming, NM to Little Rock, AR), and was fairly surprised at how achievable it turned out to be. I didn't have it easy- rode through 350 miles of thunderstorms beginning in Dallas- but I found a couple of things that really helped.

First, get in a good rhythm/cycle for your bathroom breaks and fuel stops. For me, 150 miles was a pretty good time to stop for a few and fuel up.

Stay hydrated, but don't over-do it. You don't want to be doing the potty dance between fuel stops.

Eat snacks such as trail mix, or nature's own bars- these provide you lots of good energy, not like energy drinks. I kept a tank bag with a package of trail mix in it that I could easily grab a handful. This kept me going, as well as curbing my appetite.

My last piece of advice is just to stay firm in your decision to see the ride through. You're going to be tired, and you'll likely want to just stop, but the feeling of completing such a challenge is well worth the effort. (Obviously, if you're overly tired, go ahead and throw the towel in. No use getting yourself hurt.)

Hope this helps you!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys!

The bead seat and trail mix are both great ideas that I am going to have to incorperate. I will also be hunting for some type of throttle lock.

Just for the sake of throwing it out there, the plan is to start in Fargo ND -> Minneapolis MN -> Madison WI -> Duluth MN (although that might change based on thier recent flooding) -> Fargo ND

How long did it take you guys to get it done? The website says to start around 4 am and you will be done by 7 or 8 pm, Is this similar to what you all did?

Thanks again for the help :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
+1 on reading all the tips on the iron butt web site. Be sure you document your fuel stops as outlined to make it easy to get your application put together.
+1 on a throttle lock.
+1 on doing about 150 miles between breaks. And if that starts getting too long for between stops, instead of a full stop for fuel and such, just pull off the road, walk around the bike about 3 or 4 times, do a couple of quick stretches and hop back on. Just 2 minutes moving around will give you another 20-30 comfortable minutes in the saddle.
+1 on start EARLY so you finish in daylight. Just get to bed early on the night/afternoon before.
I like to use a camelbak so I can just sip a little water throughout the ride instead of downing a full bottle of water at stops and then worrying about having to pee an hour later.
I can't speak for any beads because I rode my VFR on my iron butt and it's seat is way more comfortable than the hard SV seat.

A 1000 mile isn't TOO bad because if you do the math, you only have to average 42mph for the day which is pretty easy if you stick to interstates and other roads with 65-70 mph speed limits. However it's still 1000 miles in 24 hours which is still a long day. Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you do not have/want throttle lock, some people say wrist braces can give you additional support to avoid hand fatigue.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I can't say that I agree with all the tips that have been posted, not that any are completely wrong

I've never used a throttle lock, I do have a cramp buster/wrist rest but don't use it often

my tips

know that your bike is serviced and up for the trip

change your underwear, cotton will give you swamp ass, personally I wear LDComfort but many riders wear bike shorts

be prepared for more frequent fuel stops than expected, constant high speed wind resistance and headwinds can change things from the norm

·
Registered
747 Posts
I'm another proud owner of the Gocruise.
http://www.2wheelride.com/throttle_order.html

However, it is not a 'cruise control'. It slips a little. You have to set it faster than you want it to hold. Plus, if you're on anything other than flat and level with no wind, you will speed up and slow down.
It's really good for just holding the throttle so you can give your hand a rest for a minute.
Having said that, I do like it and consider it a necessity for long rides.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did my first one 2 years ago on a Triumph Bonneville. I went from Minneapolis south to Des Moines, over to Omaha, up to Fargo and back home. That bike needed gas every 100 miles or so which gave my butt a break.

If you're going to do something to your seat make sure to try it for at least 100 miles before you go so you know if it works. Halfway through mine I was GLAD for the small tank so I could get off the thing.

Lots of good advice here about drinking the right amount and eating smart stuff. One thing that helped me a ton was ear plugs believe it or not. For some reason the quiet seemed to take away a lot of the added stress and I just kind of floated along. Anyway, they sure helped me stay with it. I had a cramp buster and that was another thing I'd consider essential.

I found I liked doing it a lot. So much that I did a BBG 1500 last summer but on a different bike. I used all the same stuff.

Good luck to you! I'm in the Twin Cities if I could help in any way just ask!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did my first one 2 years ago on a Triumph Bonneville. I went from Minneapolis south to Des Moines, over to Omaha, up to Fargo and back home. That bike needed gas every 100 miles or so which gave my butt a break.

If you're going to do something to your seat make sure to try it for at least 100 miles before you go so you know if it works. Halfway through mine I was GLAD for the small tank so I could get off the thing.

Lots of good advice here about drinking the right amount and eating smart stuff. One thing that helped me a ton was ear plugs believe it or not. For some reason the quiet seemed to take away a lot of the added stress and I just kind of floated along. Anyway, they sure helped me stay with it. I had a cramp buster and that was another thing I'd consider essential.

I found I liked doing it a lot. So much that I did a BBG 1500 last summer but on a different bike. I used all the same stuff.

Good luck to you! I'm in the Twin Cities if I could help in any way just ask!
Hey thanks, Good call on the ear plugs. I always keep a set in both of my street jackets and my suit.

I really appreciate all of you guys' input, its been extremely helpful. As of right now the weather next weekend is supposed to be great for most of the mid-west.

Ill be sure to post many pics of the good times when I'm done. Although most of the pics will be me and my buddy at a gas station, not the most exciting of photos...

·
Registered
818 Posts
Already mentioned: Stay hydrated and start the day with aspirin & sunscreed.

Not mentioned, and no wisecracks, please: Hand lotion for the hands. Vaseline for the nether regions rather than the powder.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts