Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is purley for opinion and enjoyment.

I would just like to hear some of ya'lls opinion.

Do you like the first gens better or the second gens better?

Tell your reasons why. It can be anything. Pics are welcome also.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I bet most people prefer what they have.

I have a 1G and like the looks of it much better. I like the curves better than the sharp angles of the g2 frame. I wouldn't mind having FI, but haven't had any problems with the carbs, either.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I guess I'm different than a lot of others here in that I think the first gen's look REALLY dated. The second gen frame is what drew me to it.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
1st gen cranks are stronger, carbs are modern and reliable

2nd gen is crappier manufacturing for higher profit, FI is older technology than what you would find in a 60's VW

99s are actually the best. the Suzuki started making "improvements" that only improved their profit margin, the first improvment was revising the crankcase casting to save .03¢ worth of aluminum and resulted in the first SV recall

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I originally preferred the 2nd gen but honestly the 1st gen has grown on me. Can't say that I prefer one over the other though...they are pretty similar. I do like the fact that there is no fuel shutoff or choke on my bike though.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
The 1st generation frame is probably the nicest visual aspect of the bike. The roundness of the bodywork is appealing. Carbs work fine thanks ...

The 2nd generation frame is cheap looking and really, really unattractive .. sorry. The angular bodywork and gimmicky tail light are a let down in comparison to the 1st gen.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I like the organic curves on the first gen. That's basically it.

It's true that in my mind, the first gen will always be the original, as I have owned an '00 since '01. Any others are just pretenders.

Oh so the second gens are the pretenders, I always wondered who he was singing about. :rolleyes:

I like the SV650(S).

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm relatively new to this site, and I definitely remember answering this a few times. But whatever. I always have the same answer:

Naked 1st Gen or Full fairing 2nd Gen. I don't like the fairing on the 1st Gens and the Naked 2nd Gen does nothing for me.

I always thought the carb was inferior in cold weather. But then my first gen started right up once put on a battery tender in freezing weather and I lost that belief. The 1st Gens are relatively simpler machines if that is your thing.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea most people are going to like what they got, I just want to see what they say about both.

In my opinion, the G2 look alittle more agressive because they have sharper edges and not much curves. On the other hand, the G1 has more smooth curves.

But the first gens have sort of grown on me. I like the rouned off frame.

I like the tail of the 2nd gens tho. The original tails of the 1st gens dont look all that great in my opinion.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'm relatively new to this site, and I definitely remember answering this a few times. But whatever. I always have the same answer:

Naked 1st Gen or Full fairing 2nd Gen. I don't like the fairing on the 1st Gens and the Naked 2nd Gen does nothing for me.

I always thought the carb was inferior in cold weather. But then my first gen started right up once put on a battery tender in freezing weather and I lost that belief. The 1st Gens are relatively simpler machines if that is your thing.
+1 :D My son has a 1st gen naked and I have a 2nd gen S.
I like the round frames of the 1st gen the best.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
The 1st. gen. has a more artistic look to it, w/all those smooth curves IMO,
plus it's a lil lighter & overall ,smaller in dimension.
The angular frame on the 2nd. gen. looks cheap & mass produced to me.
The 1st. gens. have seperate clutch covers also,making a clutch change a piece of cake.
& the older ones just seem to have more personality.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts