Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, basically the short and skinny of it is I believe I have a parasitic drain somewhere on my bike but I don't know ehere to start. Here's the facts I think would help yall shed some light on it for me:

1. The battery negative cable insulation was melted on about a 2" section of the cable(probably from running it to close to the exhausdt pipe) so I replaced it.
2. I have koso gauges that are NOT hooked up, but I've got several exposed wires on the wiring harness side for the gauges.
3. My old lead acid battery will fire it up but it almost immedietely kills my lipo4.
4. Last time I hooked my lipo4 race battery to it the engine kept slowly turning over even after I turned the ignition off. I literally has to disconnect the positive terminal completely to make it stop.

Thats all I can really think of gang, any ideas?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
#4. That sounds like the starter relay is stuck or welded closed, but the type of battery should have no bearing on whether the starter motor continues to spin after the ignition is off. You should at least check the current leakage of the battery. Remove the neg cable from the battery, hook the neg probe from the meter to the neg battery terminal and the pos probe to the neg cable end. Set the meter to a high amp range just in case there is a large leakage. You should not see more than 1mA of leakage according to the manual.

#2 Are those wire ends covered and protected?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
#4. That sounds like the starter relay is stuck or welded closed, but the type of battery should have no bearing on whether the starter motor continues to spin after the ignition is off. You should at least check the current leakage of the battery. Remove the neg cable from the battery, hook the neg probe from the meter to the neg battery terminal and the pos probe to the neg cable end. Set the meter to a high amp range just in case there is a large leakage. You should not see more than 1mA of leakage according to the manual.

#2 Are those wire ends covered and protected?
Damn it, this would be the 3rd relay I bought for this thing! I have a spare I'll throw in there, but I figured if it was working it couldn't be bad. Also to answer your question about the wire ends; yes AND no. The whole bike stays covered up, but the wires themselves are not individually wrapped up and seperate...ok I'm gonna go take care of that right now.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It really seems like my engine not able to run and the battery drain problem are to separate issues. Could it really be that my carbs are clogged up AGAIN after only sitting a few weeks after I cleaned them? It ran fine after I cleaned them but there's gas in it that's not THAT old.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The running starter issues can also possibly be from a low battery. Fatpad00 had that problem recently and after he replaced the battery all was good. Before getting the new battery he checked his old one, and after being on the tender all night it was only at 11.8V.
Yeah I only saw that problem with the running starter with the antigravity li ion. he lead acid didnt give me any weird symptoms.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your carbs shouldn't be clogged after sitting for a couple of weeks or even a month or more.
I'm just at a loss as to why it wouldn't catch and run. It was at least running with a drain a couple weeks back, now it wont even do that and nothing changed other than replacing the battery ground and I checked that several times to make sure it was good to go.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A couple of things:

1. The carbs were clogged up a bit at the jets after sitting.
2. The float bowl was stuck from sitting as well.
3. My vacuum lines either all had a crack or were disconnected so I fixed those.
4. I'm almost positive me stator is fried.

The reason why the lead acid worked better is because they're just built to hold a charge longer with a drain on them. I THINK I can still use my li ion but they sell gel batteries the same size for half the price at your local auto parts store so unless you've built a race bike, dont waste your money on a li ion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts