Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried my best. I've searched and searched. My eyes are bleeding. Today, as a Sunday project, I tried doing the LED conversion as laid out on the blueproof bikes website. Followed instructions to a "T", but when I plugged in my guage cluster to test the new LED's, I get the smell of solder and a little bit of smoke. I immediately turn off the ignition. I go inside, put in the original bulbs (2 out of the 3 worked earlier in the day) and now none of them work. I have no backlighting. I'm wondering if it's a circuitboard issue? I looked it over, but I'm not expert. It is my understanding that the fuse for the guage cluster also covers the turn signals and rear brake. All of those work fine. My idiot lights work fine. Guages work fine, they're just not back-lit.

Did I fry the board? Wouldn't it have affected more than just the backlighting if i had?

Any help would be appreciated. I guess I can get a new cluster, but I don't want to lose my mileage.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I do not belive the backlights connect to the circuit board (I'm pretty sure).
I have no idea what you did wrong.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sounds like you've shorted something. Take a look again at what you did. Trace the wires from where it's stock to what you've modified. Look everything over. Electrical problems can be a PITA, but you know the area of where your working and what you modified. That's a big advantage.

Later,
Chrome...

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i do appreciate that. the only problem with this is that i didn't do any extra wiring. all that i did was solder a resistor to an led, then plugged that into the V-2 plug that's already provided for a regular bulb. maybe it was a positive/negative thing? i'm just not that privy to the electrical workings of the bike. all i have to look at is a circuit board, and i can't tell anything from that.

does anyone know if the backlighting has it's own circuit? anyone know for sure if what donniej interjected is true? the 3 lights in question are on the board, but i don't know if they use the board....

????

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thought i'd give everyone an update. today i ride the SV to work and the middle light of the 3 works! I have no idea why. it must have been a loose wire?

At any rate, I found an alternative solution to the blueproof method (which didn't work out for me)

Head to superbrightleds.com and choose one of their wedge LED's compatible with a 194 Wedge bulb (what's in the guage cluster) I got nice 5 LED ones that are slightly bigger than stock but will work and spent a grand total of $13 with shipping. This is much easier for the DIY hacker like me who apparently blows at soldering.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i lied. they cluster bulbs are #74 style. Also known as T5's...not #194's (also known as T10's) I appologize for the confusion. Hopefully you didn't already buy your LED's :(

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
why were you doing this??

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm doing this to reduce my electric consumption...that juice can be better spent on other important items (like a radar detector). ;D Also looking at finding an HID headlight down the road...

Not sure why he did it.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cuz i want a brighter dash. i like the "cool white" led look. also because i haven't seen many other people do it. It really is plug and play. Even with my goof up it's cost me $20 all together. T5 #74 bulbs plug right into the stock bulb pockets. all you have to do is remove fairings (if you have em), take out the gauge cluster, pop out old bulbs and replace with LEDS. Just make sure you get some with internal resistors and a polarity switch.

also, 2 of my bulbs were out...LED's last longer....i'll never have to change them again.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Are these the bulbs that you got? If not do you have the part #s for the ones that you did get?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are these the bulbs that you got? If not do you have the part #s for the ones that you did get?

Those are not the EXACT LED's that I got, but, from the looks of them, they will work. As long as they claim to fit wedge sockets #74 or T5, they will work. One suggestion I would make would be getting LED's that shoot to the sides as well. These are the ones that I'm using...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220376098350&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&viewitem=

...reason being, you will be able to rid yourself of the "hot spots" that show up from LED's that only aim straight up. LED's tend to work much more like a flashlight than a regular bulb. They are brighter, but much more directed. As you can see, the ones that I got have two LED's that shoot to the sides and one that shoots up. It should give much more even coverage. The link I gave you is for a 2-pack, bear in mind.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Thanks, I just ordered a set.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, I just ordered a set.
you won't be disappointed. remember, there are 3 bulbs in there, so you can order 2 sets of those i showed you or get one that just shoots up for the 3rd one. they don't sell the ones i showed you individually, or at least i couldn't find them individually. you will see a dramatic improvement even if you get a cheaper one for the 3rd slot.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
you won't be disappointed. remember, there are 3 bulbs in there, so you can order 2 sets of those i showed you or get one that just shoots up for the 3rd one. they don't sell the ones i showed you individually, or at least i couldn't find them individually. you will see a dramatic improvement even if you get a cheaper one for the 3rd slot.
I ended up getting 2 sets of 2 and used the 4th one to replace my high beam light. Definitely a big improvement over stock and for only around $18 for the four bulbs and about an hour and a half of my time it was worth it.

Sorry for the crappy pic.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts