Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a frame swap on my track bike so I can make it street legal again. I discovered having a heap of money in a bike that only gets 4-5 track days a year was a little draining and for as much as I like riding this bike decided to make it a little more versitile. Plus my girlfriend finds the passenger seat way more comfortable than my 2005 SV.

Here's what I started off with back in October 2008.

A barely running bike in good enough shape to be ridden home. Bent handlebars, 2 broken turn signals, no exhaust, leaking fork seals, bad tires, some damaged bodywork, bent levers, shot chain etc. The only good thing was it was all there and I got it for a song because the seller had lost the title when he was living in another state.

So after a little work the bike was in running order with a new Yoshi slip-on, emulators and new fork seals, new chain, and new tires.

Then I replaced the handlebars and installed clip-ons, and removed the lights.

Off to the track!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So after 2 seasons of great service and and lots of fun I had a phase of trying to figure out if I should get another bike, or do a frame swap. I finally found a titled frame through SVR and picked it up a week ago. I figured since I'll have the bike apart that I would paint the body and replace the broken LH rear plastic that came pre-damaged when I got the bike, and further scuffed from a lowside this past year. I'm just going cheap and quick, and making the bike yellow since I always wanted a yellow vehicle. Here's my chance.

Where I started

Replacement frame

Rear plastic off

Rear wheel off and rear harness disconnected

4 bolts and the subframe was off

The tank is off but I forgot to take a picture

Also made a couple sockets to remove the rear swingarm and engine

More to come tomorrow.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the engine tools made, things started coming off in big chunks. Before I could drop the engine could come out I had to remove the gas tank, then the air box and carburetors

Gone

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Out with the engine!

The next bit was a bit of fiddling to get the chain off the new frame since it was junk and I had a great 520 chain with only 400 miles on it already. I don't have a chain breaker so I had to separate the swingarm from the frame. Those engine tools came in handy once more.

Reassembly started with getting the engine into the new frame.

Then I had to remove the front end and the harness. This was the trickiest part since I wanted to make absolutely certain the harness went into its proper spot. I was in no mood to chase electrical bugs or find a wire is mysteriously short.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Admittedly I'm missing a few photos as I was growing frustrated at my slow progress and I also had a track day quickly approaching, so it was all about getting the bike together and ready to go to Beaverun.

The bike was completely assembled so it was on to cosmetic work. The LH rear plastic was damaged from the day I purchased the bike, and I ripped it up even more when I low-sided at Nelson Ledges Road Course last summer. I picked up a replacement for an unbeatable price but it was silver. Since I've had the inkling to have a yellow vehicle for some time I seized the opportunity to repaint the bike in the ricer color of choice. Plus it would match my helmet.

I started with the tail plastics and got the bike assembled and ready for the track

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next was finishing the fender cutting I started years ago and making a proper fender eliminator

I made a fender eliminator out of 3/32 ABS plastic

A little creative cutting...

Hole in the fender

Then some drilling and placement, and the fender is gone

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Painting complete

Since I was going for a quick street-to-track transition, I tried to make all the lights easily removable. I got these neat mirrors with turn signals built in so it's only 2 things to remove instead of 4. I originally planned on placing an LED strip around the outside of the headlight but worried about visibility. These mirrors were $35 shipped so I couldn't pass up the deal.

The license plate bracket holds the rear turn signals as well so 2 bolts and the plate and lights come off.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And done! I ordered a National Cycle F16 windscreen since I decided 130mph on the track isn't all that fun without at least some wind protection. I learned this taking my blue bike to the track early in the season. This windscreen was small enough to not be obnoxious. I may still cut it down a little but for right now I'm pretty happy with it.

I hope to wash it this week and get some more shots of it before I go to the track this weekend.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I know this was long ass time ago but do you remember what parts you had to buy new? Or did you reuse all the parts?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts