Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Just got a 2000 sv650s. I was directed to this place by the seller of the bike.

While reading through these threads I came across several question:

1. What is a first gen? Is that the very first sv650?
2. This water getting into the spark plug problem, does this AFFECT only the naked version of the sv650
3. My SV doesn't have a temp gauge so how do I know its warmed up?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
1st gen refers to the 99-02 models of the SV with 2nd gen being 03-**

Personally I have never really had a problem with that. Unless you ride a lot in the rain I wouldnt even worry about it. For the 2nd gens they put a big diverter over the front spark plug. I guess it was something Suzuki was sick of hearing about. I wouldnt worry.

I usually just let mine idle while I put my helmet and gear on. Then I take off and rev through 1st and 2nd nicely. I drive about 2 miles of backroads to the highway every morning. Every morning I rip through 3 or 4 gears to redline when I get to that on ramp!

ac

·
Registered
737 Posts
I'm going to disagree with the warm up procedure.

My procedure: I put the choke on and start the bike up and adjust it till the bike is revving at around 2400 RPM. While it's doing this, I zip my jacket up, put my ear plugs in, put my helmet and gloves on. At this point I shut the choke off. I take it easy on the bike for the first few minutes - I don't exceed 5000 RPM. By this time, the bike is usually idling at the right RPM - my indication that the engine is now warmed up and ready to go.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I didn't know what you meant when you said rev it nicely. To me revving it nicely means taking it all the way to the redline! ;D

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
algreen said:
you know it's warmed up when the engine idles at 1300 RPMs smoothly withOUT the choke on.
only if the idle is set correctly

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I was told to put the choke on and have it idle at around 2500rpm. THen I put my gear on and wait until the bike starts to stutter or make a weird stuttering sound. (Maybe stutter is not a good word to describe it), but basically until the engine sounds different. THen turn the choke off and ride her. Can you buy a temp gauge and put it on there? Like jumper it from the fan thermostat sensor? Will that work?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
cotang said:
Well I was told to put the choke on and have it idle at around 2500rpm. THen I put my gear on and wait until the bike starts to stutter or make a weird stuttering sound. (Maybe stutter is not a good word to describe it), but basically until the engine sounds different. THen turn the choke off and ride her. Can you buy a temp gauge and put it on there? Like jumper it from the fan thermostat sensor? Will that work?
no, you don't want to leave the choke on till it starts to foul, unless you want to foul your plugs & potentially get excess gas in your oil

turn the choke off as soon as it will idle without it, ride it easy until it's warmed up and your warming your tires up too

what good is it to have a warmed up engine and cold tires?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts