Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, still pretty new to riding and had my first crash today. Luckily very minor and I wanted to ask a couple questions to anyone who can offer advice.

I was making a left turn and I didn't think I was leaning very far but the left side of my boot caught on the ground and I panicked a bit, tried to straighten up first and squeeze the brakes but ended up just grabbing the front and locking it up. Did a low side and slid a little bit myself. I don't think my foot was hanging off the peg or anything, maybe it was under the lever, would that be enough to explain why it would have caught on the ground?

motosliders worked amazingly and luckily the only thing that got scraped was the corner of my mirror, and the lever on the kickstand, unfortunately the gear shift lever snapped on the tip. I still managed to pick it back up and ride it to work just fine but I need to get the gear shift lever replaced as soon as possible.

I have an 07 sv650s but as far as i can tell the gear shift levers are the same on all sv650s even from the first gen. Would this one I found on ebay work just fine even though it says it's only for the previous gen?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gear-Shifte...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d36e88746&vxp=mtr

My icon overlord jacket ended up getting scuffed on the forearm, but since it hasn't gone through the leather or anything I think I can still use it just fine right? From what I've read, I should just use some Doc Baileys clear leather detail kit on it?

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Bad position if your boot was under the lever in a turn. Either ride into turns with the ball of your boot over the peg, heel up against the heel guard or at least over the lever. The peg feeler should touch down before your boot with proper foot placement.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hey, still pretty new to riding

I panicked a bit, tried to straighten up first and squeeze the brakes but ended up just grabbing the front and locking it up.

Thanks for all the help!

A lot of good information here.

https://www.ridelikeapro.com/

When your handlebars are turned and you apply the front brake, all the weight of your motorcycle plus your weight, plus your momentum, is suddenly transferred to the front wheel in what ever direction the handlebars are turned. There's no way you can handle that sudden weight shift, so down you go. Since the rear tire doesn't turn side to side, there is no sudden weight transferred in one direction or the other. In fact, if you keep power to the rear wheel and put pressure on the rear brake at the same time, you can keep the bike upright for a second or two without ever putting a foot down. When you apply the front brake, just make sure your handlebars are pointed straight ahead and remember, to squeeeeze the front brake. Don't grab it or snatch it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Like bob said dont get firat gen shifter for 2nd gen. My friend havr the first gen i have the second gen and they are a bit different.

Sent from the rear of my Sv.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
My guess was that you were riding duck footed like a lot of other new riders, meaning your feet wasn't placed correctly on the pegs.

You need to place the balls of your feet on the pegs, not the inside part farther back.

Proper foot position will change your riding, trust me I know. I had no idea how terrible my duck foot riding was when I started until I started doing correctly, that along with rev-matching downshifts had the most improvement from being a beginning rider.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome feedback as always, I'm glad this site has such a good support group. I'll definitely try to remember to keep my heel against the guard in turns to not have the same thing happen again.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
316 Posts
A lot of good information here.

https://www.ridelikeapro.com/

When your handlebars are turned and you apply the front brake, all the weight of your motorcycle plus your weight, plus your momentum, is suddenly transferred to the front wheel in what ever direction the handlebars are turned. There's no way you can handle that sudden weight shift, so down you go. Since the rear tire doesn't turn side to side, there is no sudden weight transferred in one direction or the other. In fact, if you keep power to the rear wheel and put pressure on the rear brake at the same time, you can keep the bike upright for a second or two without ever putting a foot down. When you apply the front brake, just make sure your handlebars are pointed straight ahead and remember, to squeeeeze the front brake. Don't grab it or snatch it.
Your description is a little off - when you grab the front brakes in a turn, it is not about what the rider can handle ("There's no way you can handle that sudden weight shift"), but about exceeding the available traction of the front tire. When you grab the front brakes hard, you basically cause it to slip, and it no longer provides the lateral force you need to keep the bike leaned through the turn. That's why the front "washes" out and you end up on the ground. This is similar to grabbing the fronts at low speed in gravel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts