Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I became a motorcycle statistic. I have been riding for a few weeks and just completed my MSF last week. I got a brand new front tire put on and decided to go for a quick spin. Heading into a corner somewhere between 40mph and 50mph, next thing I know, I am sliding on the ground. I didn't even realize I was falling: I just went straight to sliding.

I'm not sure what I did to get the front to give out like that. I've been told brand new tires need to be broken in (it had less than 10 miles on it). I was riding within my limits but maybe I did something noob-like. Maybe I hit a slick spot or gravel. Still not sure.

Luckily I was in full gear. After doing a nice power-slide, I analyzed to make sure I was fine. The bike has been damaged but is well-repairable. All in all, very unfortunate and disappointing but I am glad to be typing this.

Damage to the bike:
Forks
Gauges
Headlight
Headlight mount
Front fender
Brake lever
Right set
Random, minor cosmetic damage
My ego
The last one is a good thing. Everything else should take between $500 and $1000 to fix, depending on my luck. The slide blocks saved it.

Damage to me:
Nothing. A few scrapes and a slightly stiff neck. In a few days, I won't even remember this happened (not literally).

I cannot express how much the gear helped me. My mesh pants and gloves disintegrated. If I was wearing shorts and flip flips, I'd be skinned. My head never hit the ground but the helmet always helps. ATGATT.

Just figured I'd share this with the community. I didn't think I'd be a part of the statistics; I didn't think I was doing anything wrong or crazy but things still went from good to bad really, really quickly. Hopefully this is my only crash, or at least for a damn while.

Break in your tires. Wear your gear. Ride safely.

Mad thanks to madv8skillz for picking me up and trailing me around.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Good to hear that you came out unscathed. The next day you'll likely be a lot more sore (at least I was). Just keep in mind that you could have injuries that were 'hidden' due to adrenaline. If something doesn't feel right in the next few days, don't hesitate going to the doctor.

What's the damage to the forks? I thought my forks were bent in my crash. It turns out they were just tweaked in the triple tree. Loosening up the triple tree bolts and axle pinch bolt and straightening everything out fixed that problem, fortunately.

Gear for the win!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to hear that you came out unscathed. The next day you'll likely be a lot more sore (at least I was). Just keep in mind that you could have injuries that were 'hidden' due to adrenaline. If something doesn't feel right in the next few days, don't hesitate going to the doctor.

What's the damage to the forks? I thought my forks were bent in my crash. It turns out they were just tweaked in the triple tree. Loosening up the triple tree bolts and axle pinch bolt and straightening everything out fixed that problem, fortunately.

Gear for the win!
Thanks! I'll probably experience some muscle soreness but I'm guessing I should be fine, especially since my head never hit the ground. If things feel off, I'll definitely get checked out.

Unfortunately, the forks are beyond repair. One side snapped (maybe the bike slid into a curb, not sure) and leaked all of the fork oil. I'll post some pictures tomorrow. I think I'll just get a new set, cut my losses, and move on.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Unfortunately, the forks are beyond repair. One side snapped (maybe the bike slid into a curb, not sure) and leaked all of the fork oil. I'll post some pictures tomorrow. I think I'll just get a new set, cut my losses, and move on.
Oh, lol, yeah, I guess they can't just be straightened in the triple tree!

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Not sure what happened?

You took a corner at 50 mph on brand new tires. Simple as that.

Glad you're okay. If it will help with the bruised ego, look up YouTube videos of people crashing as they are leaving the bike shop with new tires. Happens quite a lot, actually.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
The important question was 'what was the recommended speed of the turn?' Taking a highway turn at 50mph will have people honking at you for going to slow. Taking a 15mph turn at 50 is quite fast.

Simply saying that taking a turn at 50 on new tires is bad isn't looking at the whole picture.

·
very big dumb
9,066 Posts
The important question was 'what was the recommended speed of the turn?' Taking a highway turn at 50mph will have people honking at you for going to slow. Taking a 15mph turn at 50 is quite fast.
that specific turn says 20. I've done it up to 55 (not gonna drag through it). He was not going 50 unless something really exciting changed. maybe before braking he was, but through it probably 30 if that (otherwise his gear would have been worse-off).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rule #1 of the internet: post pics of stuff. Upload to tinypic or photobucket or something, and then use the [ img ] code

slide blocks = frame sliders ;)
But...but...if I upload them at home, what will I do at work? ;)

I don't think I'll be straightening these out and reattaching to triple. :(

My parents were super proud.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure what happened?

You took a corner at 50 mph on brand new tires. Simple as that.

Glad you're okay. If it will help with the bruised ego, look up YouTube videos of people crashing as they are leaving the bike shop with new tires. Happens quite a lot, actually.
Fair enough. I wish I had known this earlier or at least had the common sense to think of it. I guess what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Lesson learned.

that specific turn says 20. I've done it up to 55 (not gonna drag through it). He was not going 50 unless something really exciting changed. maybe before braking he was, but through it probably 30 if that (otherwise his gear would have been worse-off).
Yep, it's a 20mph posted corner. I remember glancing at my speedometer right before the turn and seeing somewhere between 40 and 50, not slowing down much (I had done this corner before and all looked clear), and gently rolling on the throttle. I wouldn't bet against the fact that I did something wrong in compound with the slippery tire. But you've seen this stuff way more often than I have so if I was going slower...good.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ten miles ought to wear in most modern tires and looking at the back tire in that pic, it looks pretty well scuffed in other than the chicken strip. I'd say 50 in a 20 plus maybe something else going wrong is more likely the culprit than the tires being too slippery.

·
very big dumb
9,066 Posts
Ten miles ought to wear in most modern tires and looking at the back tire in that pic, it looks pretty well scuffed in other than the chicken strip. I'd say 50 in a 20 plus maybe something else going wrong is more likely the culprit than the tires being too slippery.
he got a new front. it's still slippery to the touch. he also lost the front (no wiggle and no warning before going to the ground)

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Ten miles ought to wear in most modern tires and looking at the back tire in that pic, it looks pretty well scuffed in other than the chicken strip....
Ten miles may or may not be enough, but he didn't have ten miles on the side of the tread, as you note.

"other than the chicken strip...." Which is what he was cornering on if he was doing 2x the recommended speed in that corner.

You've actually proved my point.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What ^^^ said. Only the front was new. In a couple of the pictures, you can see how it looks, and even a bit of the 'feathers' where it gave out on me. And yea, I'm sure being a noob contributed nicely.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Only the front was new? Opps, my mistake.

Do you know whether the front washed out, or did the rear slip?

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Yes, I see it. It looks to me like the front washed out. (Large scuff mark visible on outer right tread of front tire, just past the front of the fender.)

When you get new tires, you should carefully scuff in the entire tread. Not easy to do on city streets. Maybe some slow weaving and cornering in a parking lot. I've heard some people advocate running light sandpaper over a new tire before riding it hard. Never tried that myself, though.

Not meant as a criticism; just throwing it out there so people can discuss and learn.

Again, glad you're okay. Crashing sucks.

·
very big dumb
9,066 Posts
I've heard some people advocate running light sandpaper over a new tire before riding it hard. Never tried that myself, though.
as far as i understand, that just spreads the ejection compound around and doesn't get rid of it.

Heat will do it well enough though, so if you have warmers, throw them on.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts