Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday while riding a route I've done several thousand miles on out of nowhere I lowsided on 90 mph turn, skid on the tarmac for 110-120 meters crossing the opposite lane and nearly missing a guardrail. Good thing there was no on going traffic. I ended up in some bushes with my bike nowhere insight found it a couple of meters next to a 3,4 meter drop ( Thank god it did not fall in).
I've always been sceptic about this happening to me - could not have been more wrong. I am so glad I was wearing full gear. I only got a little bit of brusing - soar muscles nothing big.
I've got some damage to the bike and would really be happy if someone could tell me what to do now? What should I check first, what should I do with the broken plastics? Engine seems to be ok It started on the first try, the fuel tank is badly bent, right foot peg and brake lever are grinded away. I'll post some pics latter.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Yesterday while riding a route I've done several thousand miles on out of nowhere I lowsided on 90 mph turn, skid on the tarmac for 110-120 meters crossing the opposite lane and nearly

WOW...::eek: :headscratch:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Here's the scenario this is in Bulgaria between the towns Dryanovo and Gabrovo. This turn has nasty reputation. Hmm I've removed the speed sensor rotor but judging by the rpms on 6th I'd say its around 90 at the entry point last time I checked :D

·
very big dumb
8,901 Posts
Yesterday while riding a route I've done several thousand miles on out of nowhere I lowsided on 90 mph turn, skid on the tarmac for 110-120 meters crossing the opposite lane and nearly missing a guardrail. Good thing there was no on going traffic. I ended up in some bushes with my bike nowhere insight found it a couple of meters next to a 3,4 meter drop ( Thank god it did not fall in).
I've always been sceptic about this happening to me - could not have been more wrong. I am so glad I was wearing full gear. I only got a little bit of brusing - soar muscles nothing big.
I've got some damage to the bike and would really be happy if someone could tell me what to do now? What should I check first, what should I do with the broken plastics? Engine seems to be ok It started on the first try, the fuel tank is badly bent, right foot peg and brake lever are grinded away. I'll post some pics latter.
Glad you're ok, that's quite fast (i don't think i go that fast on the street...)
Probable causes since you know that corner and have done it before: Cold tires, gravel/leaves/oil/water in the road, too much/not enough brake/throttle in the corner (we don't know so we can't tell). Basically you overloaded one of your tires and it lost traction for whatever reason.

Check if you need a new helmet. (if it hit the ground, you need a new helmet). As far as repairs, you need to show us what's broken and what's not. I go after "minimum repairs to make rideable" first, and then work on looks. If the tank isn't leaking, it's still ok in my book. If the plastics are rashed but not falling off, that's ok as well. If the plastics are falling off but can be ziptied back on, do that. Then maybe plastic-weld them, paint, etc. Rideable first, cosmetics later.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Glad you survived.......might i suggest you take that kind of speed to the racetrack, you may not be soo lucky next time.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
That is a high-speed crash. Glad you're okay.

I'd check that the wheels are true and that the frame, subframe, clip-ons, and fork are not bent. Make sure the tires hold air and that the engine case holds oil. Is the cooling system intact? Check every major system and component, before you repair anything.

Everything else is minor, and is easily repaired or replaced.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My head did not hit the road since I was leaned over I basicly just layed on the asphalt and slided. The helmet has scratches though. Fivetoez there is NO racetrack for sportbikes here some guys go to abandoned airports sometimes but that does not happen very often. I would love to go to a racetrack closest one is in Serres, Greece.
I'll make some photos and send them. I dont think there is oil, gas or cooling liquid leaking but I will check again. The right side foot peg is all ground away so the bike was sliding most of the time and the only impact was in the branches and roots at the side of the road.
I'll get the photos soon.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I apoligize....if you ever come to Conneticut (USA)..............Ill buy you a free trackday!

If your gonna rail the twisty roads at those speeds ,at least don't do it alone.

·
Registered
661 Posts
If the front washed out like that I bet you hit some oil, gravel, water or some combination. I do the occasional "spirited" run like that and that kind of stuff is always in the back of my mind. Glad you were geared for the crash and are okay!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think it was the front end. I ride mostly according Kieth Code's twist of the wrist and I take some guide lines from Nick Ientasch's sport riding techniques. As I approached the corner I moved my hips, closed the throttle and started countersteering to lean the bike when I entered the desired line I cracked slightly the throttle and started rolling on bit by bit then suddenly the bike just dropped and layed on the ground. I think that is a classic lowside crash. The rear tire is pure crap I bought it second hand for 30$ with DOT 2008 Bridgestone Battlax.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts