Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was going up I-270N in St. Louis during rush hour this morning. I'm going about 40 along with the rest of the traffic around me in the far left lane when the car next to me with it's front end about even with my back tire starts veering into my lane. I look over at the car for just a split second, and when I looked back in front of me I see that the vehicles about 5-10 car lengths in front have slammed their brakes and slowed down to about 10 or 15mph. They are doing construction all along the highway so when I went to hit my brakes I guess my tires slipped on some dirt or gravel left in the highway from all the blasting and immediately high sided me. I go sliding in front of my bike and end up going down the highway on my stomach with cars passing along side of me going straight towards the SUV in front of me. Then I hear my bike coming at me from behind. My head got about 6 inches of the rear tire of the SUV when my bike hit me in the arm and pushed me just far enough out of the way to not slam into the SUV and still not be far enough over in the other lane to get ran over. My bike ended up wedged underneath the SUV that was in front of me. Thanks to all my gear I only ended up with a really ****** up shoulder, a couple of scratches, and a whole lot of **** to think about. Needless to say I am incredibly lucky to be here typing this up right now. Just be careful out there guys, and always wear your gear. And don't forget to make amends and to tell all the people close to you that you love them cause it call all be gone in just a split second.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident but glad you're alright.
Sounds like you weren't paying enough attention to what was going on in front of you coupled with panic-braking gone wrong.
Best of luck in the healing-up!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually was paying attention except for that second a car was coming at me, had no choice but to pay attention, traffic was crazy. The cars in front of me literally slammed on their brakes that very second I took my eyes off them. Just horrible timing really, and on top of that hard braking and loose gravel don't mix. Not saying there aren't things I could have done differently, cause I'm sure there are, such as the fact that the idea that there may be loose gravel on the road from the construction didn't even cross my mind before I went down. I just haven't had time to process it all yet. Hopefully, once I calm down a bit I can break down what I could have done better. It def made me thankful for you guys on here who constantly preach about ATGATT. Without my gear I would have been torn to shreds. And thanks for the well wishes guys. I'll post some pics of the damage when I get to see the bike again.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Sounds like you need to practice swerving. It's one of those skills that's handy in a pinch, but takes deliberate effort to practice so you can pull it off in an instant.

In an emergency situation you have a split second to decide "brake or swerve". If you can't instantly and deliberately do a swerve maneuver you've severely limited your options.

Bring some cones to a parking lot, and start practicing!

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Sorry to hear about the crash...but it sounds like you did it with some style!:) I've been in St.Louis traffic, in a car, and would NOT volunteer to do that duty on a bike. Those people were crazy....it was like Death Race 2000. If you have to run there often, I'd have a souped up beater that wouldn't bother me to trade paint with. And for sure wear your gear! Hope the bike fixes up without too much effort.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Glad you're OK, but if you blame other drivers and gravel, then you aren't learning anything from the experience. Rarely does a whole group of cars all "slam" on their brakes at once. Chances are your attention was diverted longer than you think. Also, gravel won't "cause" a high side when braking in a straight line. Did you stoppie and go over the bars? Or slam on the rear brake, get sideways, then release the brake?

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Good to hear you are relatively okay. Heal up quick and don't let the negative thoughts impair on what you love to do.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Sucks man! Though it's good that you're okay.

I guess I'll join in Monday morning QBing this thing! If you had been paying more attention out front, you likely would have seen brake lights and slowing beyond the car just ahead of you. If you only turned away for a split second and all this came down, it means you weren't scanning far enough ahead of you.

This being said, we all make mistakes. How many times have all of us been riding through a new area and looking at the new landscape? How many times has our attention lapsed for a moment or two while riding? On a long day in the saddle, your mind can wander, and no one can be hyper-vigilant 100% of the time. However, I think it's important to realize what our mistakes are when we make them though.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Sucks man, glad to hear you are alright.

My brother did the exact same thing, though he paid for it with a hand fracture when he landed weird.

Also, the reason why he flipped was because he was a new rider and he 4-finger braked, in a panick it caused the bike to flip over and on to the right side.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Sorry to hear, but glad you came out ok.

In traffic always stay alert, if you would have raised your vision and looked 10 -15 cars ahead you would have seen them braking, and like posted before you could have lane split around the SUV in front. Mistakes are mistakes and it sucks hearing what you could have done, but it's good to realize what happened, what you didnt do, what you could have done and how to prevent it from happening again.

Hope you recover quickly and get back on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry too hear that you went down thankfully you're ok gotta love when wearing gear pays off. After you've taken time to look at it I'm sure your remember/figure out where you made your mistakes. As long as you can learn from them it'll only make you a better rider. I know I've had my fair share of **** ups

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sucks to crash. Never crashed on the street but since I've been riding on the track I tend to wear my track leathers 7& backbrace on the street instead of my AeroStitch suit for more protection.

·
Registered
688 Posts
It's so easy to lock up when traffic stops in front of you like that, In a car its not a big deal usually but the bike is so much less forgiving.

Easing on to the brakes gradually- regardless of how fast you will have to stop is key... if you start easy you can quickly (and linearly) apply more and more brake pressure without overloading the tires and causing what you experienced. - This is a big part of how you see people do stoppies/endo's - you can stop in a real short distance, its just a matter of doing it smoothly.

Good you are okay and still around, stay safe.

·
MOTORADOR
10,956 Posts
Heal quick.

... and learn from any possible mistake you may have committed. This experience and the lesson learned could save you next time. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts