Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys first post on here. I have recently purchased my first big bike, a 2004 sv650s. Noticed that I have very little coolant in the reservoir so thought I do a flush as I don't know what's currently in there. Picked up some Xstream G48 from halfords as it said it was right for my vehicle (and its green which is the same as whats currently in there). Did some more reading on forums and looks like I need to get one that is silicate free so as to avoid destroying my water pump? This G48 seems to contain silicates so i wondered if its worth me buying a different one that is silicate free or if this G48 will work fine. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have always used Engine Ice which is silicate free. Seeing as this is your first flush, you could always just do it once or twice with straight distilled water just to give it a good rinse. I would probably not go with the G48 as it's spec'd as a "low silicate" product.

Will G48 ruin your water pump? I don't know... the stuff in there may be full of it anyway so who knows, you can really only improve on the current situation.

Welcome!

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
826 Posts
Welcome to SVR Topcat. Go with the silicate-free stuff, and consider the Xstream as a sunk cost. No need to risk it. As drew pointed out, you don't know what's in there now. Funny story, when I flushed the first time I found the stuff in the reservoir was red, while the stuff in the radiator was green. Enjoy the ride, and share some pics!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankyou both. Very helpful. I will go out and find some silicate free stuff as you've recommended and treat the G48 as the cost of learning. Cheers guys 👍

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm close to doing my 2nd coolant change on my gen3 (14,500 miles) When I did 1st change it was blue from the factory. I filled it up with a yellowish one. I think my reservoir still has the blue factory coolant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts