Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I've been using this forum to gather a lot of useful info before purchasing my first bike.  I trailered it home last night.  A Black 2001 SV650, I love it.  It's got some issues but I rode it for the first time this morning, what a rush.  Its amazing how you can sit and think about how to shift, and how to turn, and where everything is on the bike, but until you get on it and ride it, it just doesn't make sense.  I had never ridden a motorcycle until this morning.  I had a blast just tooling around my sub-division.  I've got to take it to the shop to chage all the fluids, and a tune up.  But I think this bike is going to be the start of something very cool.

How do you post a pic??

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
It's more important that you learn to ride safely than it is that you learn how to post pics.

1. Have you signed up for the MSF course? Do so. It won't make you an expert rider, but it will teach you the skills you need to survive long enough to become an experienced rider.

2. Do you have the right gear? Helmet, of course, but you'll also NEED

- pants and jacket with padding and abrasion resistance. The road is a giant, endless, merciless grinder. When you fall, you'll want something substantial between you and giant, excruciating, skin-graft necessitating abrasions.

- hand-sparing abrasion-resistent and at least padded (better armored) gloves. Consider how useful your hands and fingers are. Consider how life would suck without being able to use them.

- ankle protecting boots. Several bad things can happen to your feet if you have an accident. Prevent them. You'll want something that will keep your ankle from bending the WRONG way, as well as something to keep the road from grinding your toes away.

3. Until you get to the MSF course, get some of the standard books that acquaint you with the risks and techniques associated with riding. Read them, understand the information, and practice the skills. Here's a list from SVRider.com's Tips-n-Tricks Section:

Proficient Motorcycling
Hough, David L.
http://isbn.nu/1889540536

Sportbiking: The Real World
Jaehne, Gary S.
http://isbn.nu/1556308353

Soft Science of Road Racing Motorcycles
Code, Keith
http://isbn.nu/096504503X

A Twist of the Wrist II: The Basics of High-Performance Motorcycle Riding
Code, Keith
http://isbn.nu/0965045021

The Pace
Ienatsch, Nick
http://motorcycles.cyril.com/gap99/pace1.htm
originally published Motorcyclist, 1991 and Sport Rider, 1993

Street Strategies: A Survival Guide for Motorcyclists
Hough, David L.
http://isbn.ru/1889540692

The Racers Image
Boyer, David B.
http://home.earthlink.net/~cmmartin/

There's a "More Proficient Motorcycling" by Hough, as well.

Welcome. Ride well and be happy.

·
Registered
622 Posts
  What fatass said. when I first came to this board and all this was told to me my response in my head was "You guys all haul ass I am just scoot-in around the neighborhood. I don't need all that crap!". But the longer I stayed on the board and heard of all the thing that can  happen in which you did nothing wrong. Finally after months on the board I found a Bike right color (Black) right price. I had to drive 17 hours to go get it. I trucked it back. By this time they had me convinced to take the MSF first. Which was no major feet because I had taken it at 16 (I rode dirt bikes since I was 8 ) I remembered it was Beneficial . Since I had not been on a bike in many years I would do this first. Well Classes where full for few weeks and first available was mothers day (Moms in San Antoni me Houston) so the bike sat for a little more then a month. Yes I have self control. Then they convinced me I may need at least a jacket. So I start looking at gear. I posted about a thin wallet since I bought the bike and need cheap gear for now and would get better stuff w/ future pay checks. Well some helped some said can't afford the gear can't afford a bike then. I was all  ::) . Then some one not sure ether Fatass or the Jimmdaddy posted some thing that stuck in my head. Some thing like "Look I know you must  be all ::) when you read all these replies but let me break it down for you. You need good gear in the beginning when you are new and are more likely to crash not after your experienced and more likely not to crash." That just stuck in my head and this being your first bike ever please don't  ::) just know that many months later I now feel the same as them. I also had gear before the MSF after the before mentioned post and I had to wait to take the course that gave me time. Please we are not all haul ass dudes just experienced and know the dangers out there be careful be safe be alive on your bike.

PS next great moment will be when you fill up for the first time. And see what you paid for gas....  ;D

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I get it, I'm lucky the wife has even let me do this.  I'm a responsible guy, I PAID for a good helmet (not the place to be cheap)  I'm looking for a good textile jacket right now.  I live in Florida, and the thinking is that the textile would be a little cooler.  is the Joe Rocket Rasp jacket any good?

The MSF course is Next month (yeah all this month were full)  My roomate is an experienced rider and he has helped me out alot.  The bike is going to the shop tomorrow to get all fluids changed, and carbs cleaned out.  I've read alot on this board and look forward to reading more, thanks for the links/advice.  Yeah it was a lot all at once but since I've been around a while it was expected.  I bought it for commuting to work and around town, taking miles off the 98 Jeep and saving some gas. 

The stamped date on the frame is 6/01, But the original sale sheet says 2002 and Black??  I don't know which year it is.  I guess it is a 2002. 

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
The affordable Joe Rocket gear has a reputation for single-use effectiveness. Crash once; replace it. The cheap JR seams are where the price difference is most apparent. That said: I've crashed twice in the same cheap JR jacket and pants. Now they're done for; and I lived to be embarrassed about it.

Loom at newenough.com. They have good discounted stuff. Now, at the end of the year, most of the big retailers will be heavily discounting the stuff from this season and last. Look around and you can find good bargains on good gear.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is the funniest thing I've ever seen.  Is that guy for real, no helmet, first time on a bike?

I have to admit I've ridden mountain bikes, and road bikes, and I understand how a clutch engages.  That was definitely not like my first ride.  The hardest part I had was keeping my foot off of the back brake, and shifting from 1 to 2.  The thing I like about the rasp is the zippered off vents in the front.  Are there a few others I should be looking at?  

1 - 9 of 9 Posts