Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Welcome to your new addiction!

Have you taken an MSF course yet? If not, it's one of the best investments you can make as a new rider. An added bonus is you get your M endorsement upon successful completion of the course. Depending upon the state you live in, the cost of the course ranges from free (like here in PA!) to around $300.

Also, have you invested in motorcycle-specific riding gear? The majority of long-term riders have gone down at least once. It's surely not a given that you will wreck, but the danger is real enough that you should wear gear at all times. Many learn the hard way that wearing gear is a good thing. I learned the easy way. I walked away from a crash at highway speeds with no injuries in full gear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have taken my MSF course. I took it in Minnesota, but then moved down to Missouri without renewing my license before hand, and so I didnt get the endorsement. I think I will have to take the course again down in Missouri because they offer it on the weekends and I can't get to the DMV during the 9-5 hours because I work full time.

I have invested in gear. I bought a thick, real leather, jacket and some nice leather work gloves which were recommended to my by my MSF instructor. I actually went down the first ride with my new jacket. It saved me a lot of pain. I dont understand how people ride without a jacket and helmet. It just seems so stupid not to wear the right gear.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I have taken my MSF course. I took it in Minnesota, but then moved down to Missouri without renewing my license before hand, and so I didnt get the endorsement. I think I will have to take the course again down in Missouri because they offer it on the weekends and I can't get to the DMV during the 9-5 hours because I work full time.

I have invested in gear. I bought a thick, real leather, jacket and some nice leather work gloves which were recommended to my by my MSF instructor. I actually went down the first ride with my new jacket. It saved me a lot of pain. I dont understand how people ride without a jacket and helmet. It just seems so stupid not to wear the right gear.
Great to hear that you're starting off the right way. I would caution against using leather work gloves. The leather work gloves are not armored and, more importantly, I've never seen any that close down tight enough for me to trust them to stay on in a crash. They're certainly better than nothing, but if I were you I'd invest in a pair of gauntlet leather riding gloves. I actually just bought some Cortech Adrenaline gloves from Sportbiketrackgear.com on closeout for $49. That was way too much glove for the price to pass up! They just came in the mail two days ago so I haven't had a chance to actually ride in them, but the armor looks to be really, really good and with three areas of adjustment, they fit like, well, a glove! I doubt these will be around for long.

Also, do you have any gear for your legs, feet, or ankles? When I went down on the highway earlier in the year, my legs (especially my knees) and feet took the brunt of the damage. Fortunately I had boots and leather pants on and walked away from the crash. I have no doubt that I would have sustained major injury to my knees and feet if I didn't have on the proper gear.

Sorry to come across as a complete gear Nazi... But the proper gear can really save you a lot of grief later on.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
Sorry to come across as a complete gear Nazi... But the proper gear can really save you a lot of grief later on.
+1.
I've had occasion to be grateful for having had the foresight to wear real gloves. And I've had the occasion to regret not wearing adequate gloves. I prefer wearing armored gloves now. There will always be occasions when you think -"I'm just going down to the store" or "I'll take it easy and won't ride aggressively, so I'll just wear jeans." I do the same. Most often you get away with it. Most often . . . .

Welcome. Ride well and be happy.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would also recommend cyclegear:
http://www.cyclegear.com/

And
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/

You can find some great cheap stuff on there. You might not want to go crazy on gear just yet. Just find some great gloves, boots, and jackets. I got Bilt Gloves and Boots for around 40 bucks!

Not the best stuff but if you're still testing the waters then it's great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts