Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-
I got my first bike, a 2001 SV650 a few weeks ago and having a blast so far. Getting ready to hit the freeway for the first time this week as I have to have it checked out-- it is dripping a few drops of oil each time after riding it right under the engine block area. Luckily the shop where I bought it (MotoJava in San Francisco) is awesome. But I need to ride it on the freeway to get there (when I picked it up a buddy drove it back in his pickup for me). Any advice for a freeway newbie?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
There is lots of advice for riding on the hwy, but I think one that should be at the top of the list involves off and on ramps. If you are traveling in either the extreme right hand lane or the middle lane and you are approaching an off ramp or on, be aware that car and truck drivers will without warning, switch lanes to get off with little regard to cutting off a driver in the right hand lane or actually try to occupy your space. So, when you see a ramp, position yourself either to a new lane or be very aware of drivers next to you who might just want to roll over you to get off at the ramp. Same goes for drivers who enter hwys who have to merge. Move over one lane to anticipate being cutoff once again. Scan your mirrors and always be aware of your position and others. Welcome to the forum. Ride with awareness and knowledge, not fear or anxiety.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
Freeways are fine. Everyone is travelling in the same direction and at approximately the same speed.

Be aware that when you approach a truck from behind, you will be aware of a palpable wind "wake." Do not be surprised; do not over-react. Pass the truck and get out of the disturbed air as quickly as conditions allow.

Ride well and be happy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How about those lane reflectors and (sometimes large) cracks or height changes in the asphalt between lanes? Do I need to be careful about avoiding issues like these on the road surface itself? At lower speeds I have been avoiding them or going over as perpendicular as possible, but on the highway I will obviously have less time to avoid and don't want to be swerving around unnecessarily.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts