Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after 2 days and 12 hours later my 04' gsxr 1k shock is on. Ya you all read that right 12hrs. This mod was a B***H!!! :mad: I'm not much of a mechanic.

The problems all started w/ what bolts to remove. I had no clue. So I went for the top shock bolt, then the upper dogbone bolt, then Finlay the bolt in the shock forks. The 1st major problem was just getting the Shock in place. I ended up cutting a some useless metal bracket that held some rubber piece I still need to cut off. Looks terrible right now, gotta find a way to fix this. (I have a 03' S) But finally had the shock in there.

The 2nd problem came when trying to install the lower bolt in the shock forks. After hours of frustration realized to put the bolt in the other side. PERFECT!! All down hill from there.

I had no problem with the battery box being in the way. The shock reservoir just pushed the box up. I cut out a little of the box anyways and the battery still fit perfect!

So all that too that long. I know very pathetic. But WOW after just riding around town what a difference. So much stiffer. Can't wait to take her up int he twisties.

Now here is my newbie question. How do I adjust the shock? I have no clue on how to change the settings, so any help alot.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Mrwoo said:
Well after 2 days and 12 hours later my 04' gsxr 1k shock is on.  Ya you all read that right 12hrs.  This mod was a B***H!!! :mad:  I'm not much of a mechanic. 

The problems all started w/ what bolts to remove.  I had no clue.  So I went for the top shock bolt, then the upper dogbone bolt, then Finlay the bolt in the shock forks.  The 1st major problem was just getting the Shock in place.  I ended up cutting a some useless metal bracket that held some rubber piece I still need to cut off.  Looks terrible right now, gotta find a way to fix this.  (I have a 03' S) But finally had the shock in there. 

The 2nd problem came when trying to install the lower bolt in the shock forks.  After hours of frustration realized to put the bolt in the other side.  PERFECT!!  All down hill from there. 

I had no problem with the battery box being in the way.  The shock reservoir just pushed the box up.  I cut out a little of the box anyways and the battery still fit perfect!

So all that too that long.  I know very pathetic. But WOW after just riding around town what a difference.  So much stiffer.  Can't wait to take her up int he twisties.

Now here is my newbie question.  How do I adjust the shock?  I have no clue on how to change the settings, so any help alot.
Congrats? How are your knuckles? ;D

Try setting the sag first (using the spring compression rings on the shock body), then turn the compression and rebound screws out to stock specs. Ride the bike and make adjustments to the compression and rebound based on how you ride the bike and how it feels.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another question I used my stock dog bones. Was I supposed to replace them with the gsxr dogbones?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.