Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish I had taken the class before I bought/rode my new bike.  I tried but they were all full for a month and a half.  Apparently I had some bad habits that seemed hard to brake in class.  And I feel a lot better at slower speeds now, maneuvering around a parking lot is not at all stressful now.  My instructors were great and I think I learned a lot.  It was weird getting back on the SV after riding a Suzuki GZ250.  I was surprised that I could do a u-turn on that bike, when I got home I practiced on the SV and it was so much easier.

My roomate took me out for the first/last time this afternoon too.  He has/had a 2002 gsx-r 750.  He sold it and the guy comes to pick it up tomorrow.  I kept up with him on the way out to where we were going to ride but once we got there he told me, "you can try to pace me, but you should just take your time, most of the turns can be made at around 70mph no problem."  OooooKay.  And he took off.  And there was no way I was going to keep up with him as I found out later I was hitting 80mph on the straights, he was hitting 157mph.  It was nice to find a road with some curves in it.  I had a lot of fun.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Glad to hear it!! Keep up the good work and work on that clutch control and low speed balance. I'm almost to the point where I can stop the bike from moving foward and keep her balanced for a split second and then move foward again. One day soon I'll keep her balanced at stop lights with my feet on the pegs, one day....

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm actually really good at that. I don't know why. Today I actually got it to roll backwards a little after braking, then taking off.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Congrats, Chase.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
good job. msf is the best way to get your license imo i rode for a while b4 i took it (in parking lots on street bikes) and i too had some bad habbits that got broken at the class. the stuff you learn in the course will deffinetly save your rear. its saved me a few times

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Hope you enjoyed it. I had a wild time in that class. My instructors told me to stop screaming because it was freaking out some of the other students ;D

·
Registered
629 Posts
I was stuck on a enduro bike because they knew I rode dirtbikes and was trying not to run people over...did a stoppie in the emergency braking part (I told them I would if I grabbed any harder and they said no you won't just grab it some more..LOL..I have done them before so I kind of did it on purpose ;D) then I watch the instructor almost get run over by a guy they couldn't decide which way to swerve after she told held the flag up in the direction to swerve...just went right through the cones she was standing behind...missed her by a few inches max. There were a few ppl that did not need to pass.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I had the hardest time with not looking at the line im stopping on...never realized it before that class...when i came up to a stoplight i had my eyes down on the line not paying attention to anything above it...that and the figure 8 ...congrats on the class though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Congrats! I took the msf course prior to riding. When I ride, I have to admit that I think about the things I learned in that class. Definately the best $50 I spent (thats how much it costs in DE at DMV).

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
maq said:
Congrats! I took the msf course prior to riding. When I ride, I have to admit that I think about the things I learned in that class. Definately the best $50 I spent (thats how much it costs in DE at DMV).
you lucky S.O.B. mine was 300+ iirc but mommy and daddy paid for it (was my graduation present.)

yah i was by far the best rider in my class...not to butter my own toast. i think they had to replace the pegs on the bike i was riding because i ground most of them off. definitely a few people that failed and for good reason. one woman went down. the funniest thing was there was this guy who rode to the course with out a licensed rider with him, and he ended up failing badly.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a lot of fun. The figure 8 was the only thing I got points off for because I went like 2 inches out of the box. I get my head around but I constantly catch myself looking down instead of up. I'm used to riding mountain bikes and you are always looking where you are puttting your front tire. I guess thats a habit I'll have to break soon. We had a 50 year old woman take the course, she shouldn't of passed be cause I don't think she has any business on the road but she managed to pass according to everything she did. I don't think she is going to buy a bike though she said she wanted to take it because she wanted to do something exciting. She got big props from me. I hope I can still do something when I'm 50.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2 days.....$189 per person (wife and I took it together). Was incredibly informative and very enjoyable as well. We had a couple people that didnt pass either, but then again, I am 99% sure they shouldnt have.
For sure was money well spent. Wife and I both passed though :) Congrats Chase!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Just passing the MSF is not enough .. you still got to practice that stuff in empty parking lots till it becomes second nature. I practice at least once a week in parking lots.

Every two weeks or so, I still have problems with rolling the throttle down before applying the front brake.
Have not quite figured out what I am doing wrong before I do it ... that is scary!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah my biggest hang up right now is turning right at a light that is already green. I've been just squeezing the clutch down shifting to 2nd and coasting around the corner and right at the apex letting the clutch out and rolling on the throttle. But in class we did a lot of braking in 2nd and making those turns with no clutch and rolling the throttle. The first time I tried that on my SV I almost went down (way too much engine braking in 2nd) I've been doing it in 3rd now with better success. My instructor thought I got my bike at a steal for $2700. It made me feel better about my purchase.
I think I need to buy a pair of overpants. After taking the class I feel even more guilty about wearing shorts while riding. I work at a YMCA in charge of Aquatics, and it is still in the 80s every day here in Florida, I'm not big on pants (vs. shorts) but I feel a little silly when I wear my jacket with shorts. Any suggestions??

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Given you live in Florida, air mesh is about your only viable choice.

I went to Newenough and got the FirstGear HyperTex Air mesh pants.

They are extremely flexible in use as I wear them in hundred degree weather down to the low twenties with the waterproof liner. 

Mesh does have a reputation of melting when sliding on concrete so at the very least I would wear a lightweight pair of sweatpants underneath.  The armor is good and I improved it by inserting the CoreComp armor pieces.

These pants are designed to fit over street clothes.

I have another pair where I cannot wear street clothes underneath.  I would not commute with those.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Currently said:
Given you live in Florida, air mesh is about your only viable choice.
I am in Tally and I will say that my textile jacket without liner is ok for 50deg weather (short trips) but I def put the liner in if going for a 2 hour ride. The windchill factor is a little cold once cruising and I sold my Joe Rocket Rio to a buddy a few weeks ago and he even admits it's a little COLD with that jacket and a sweatshirt.

I am looking at the Joe Rocket Alter ego something that protects with leather but can be turned into a mesh style jacket in summer.

It does get in the 30-40's for the highs in North-Mid Fl during the winter and I am cold natured as it is so mesh won't cut it for me at those temps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.