Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to taking some pictures of my bike. It took me about a month to complete the S to N conversion, but I'm pretty happy with how it all came out.

The Mods:

Rebuilt forks with SonicSprings .80's
Replaced Rear Shock w/ '03 636 Shock
S to N...
Trail Tech Vapor Gauge kit w/ Dashboard
2x PIAA 510 Lights as Headlights (Crystal Ion Fog as low and Crystal Ion Long-Range Driving as high)
Chopped my Vance and Hines Full System by 5" and Painted Black
Black Header Wrap
Black Line-X Paint w/ Hand-Painted Suzuki Logos

All in all I had a lot of fun with it...and learned a lot about working on bikes in the process. This was my first time doing anything more advanced than changing the oil on a motorcycle, so I am pretty happy with how it turned out. Thanks a lot to everyone who answered questions and helped me along the way!

Oh....P.S. Before all this work....it was a stock 02 Silver SVS.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking about putting some front turn signals on that lower bracket bar....which is why I have the lights so high. (Ideas for the type are welcome) As for fenders....I was thinking about one that is shorter than stock....anyone know of any?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Digging it. Nice job.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Looks good. Some SS lines would nicely do away with the brake manifold up front there. Then use the hole for some headlight mount lower down.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Very Nice!

·
Registered
318 Posts
the piaas are sweet i espescially like the tank grip under the paint

·
Registered
142 Posts
Looks pretty good. It's always a great feeling doing something yourself and seeing the "final" product. Get some Motosliders for a little just-in-case insurance.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I love it! mine is similar, but I used the rattle can bedliner instead of line-x

I have a few questions on your execution if you don't mind:

1. how did you do the suzuki logo? is that just spray paint with a stencil?

2. I have the same vance& hines full system... what was involved with chopping the can? did you have to remove the header pipe to get the exhaust wrap on?

3. I dig the look of the exposed steel strap for the headlight mounting... not a question really

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wolfchimneyrock -

Thanks a lot, and what type of belly pan is that you have?

I painted the Suzuki logo on by hand with regular acrylic paints...and a lot of painter's tape to mask it up. The first step was to decide what size I wanted the logo, then I printed it a few times on full page printable labels (office depot, staples, etc.) After this I took an exacto knife and cut a circle out of the label with the S in the middle, then cut the S itself out, leaving two sticky labels - one S and one outline of an S. After this, you can go one of two ways....stick the S on and use painters tape to mask the area around it then peel the S off...or you can cut the outline of the S into about 4 pieces and carefully stick it around the S. You do this because if you try to stick it on in one piece it will not be able to conform to the curves of the tank. I used a combo of these techniques. The actual painting was done by drybrushing the acrylics directly onto the line-x after a light sanding.

As for the Muffler -

Yes you have to remove the header to wrap it...but it's not too hard. To chop the muffler I removed the end plate (the baffle comes with it) and cut the can with a hacksaw. The baffle has some chickenwire looking stuff that I cut down by an equal legnth in order that it would fit back into the can. voila. Drill some holes, put the end back on, and spray with high-temp BBQ grill paint. (or not)

If you have any more questions about either mod just PM me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
wolfchimneyrock -

Thanks a lot, and what type of belly pan is that you have?

I painted the Suzuki logo on by hand with regular acrylic paints...and a lot of painter's tape to mask it up. The first step was to decide what size I wanted the logo, then I printed it a few times on full page printable labels (office depot, staples, etc.) After this I took an exacto knife and cut a circle out of the label with the S in the middle, then cut the S itself out, leaving two sticky labels - one S and one outline of an S. After this, you can go one of two ways....stick the S on and use painters tape to mask the area around it then peel the S off...or you can cut the outline of the S into about 4 pieces and carefully stick it around the S. You do this because if you try to stick it on in one piece it will not be able to conform to the curves of the tank. I used a combo of these techniques. The actual painting was done by drybrushing the acrylics directly onto the line-x after a light sanding.

As for the Muffler -

Yes you have to remove the header to wrap it...but it's not too hard. To chop the muffler I removed the end plate (the baffle comes with it) and cut the can with a hacksaw. The baffle has some chickenwire looking stuff that I cut down by an equal legnth in order that it would fit back into the can. voila. Drill some holes, put the end back on, and spray with high-temp BBQ grill paint. (or not)

If you have any more questions about either mod just PM me.
it is this one: http://www.twinshack.co.uk/prods/301.html
they have alot of nice body work for the 1st generation sv

Thanks for the directions, I think I will try the exhaust can thing

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If anybody is in the NC area and wants any logos painted I would love to help out btw....a convenient re-use of my model painting skills that were honed as a youth....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
those pics were taken right after the build. I took all the preload off when I changed the springs....hadn't re-set it yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts