Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Since you want more sport than tour, I will echo adding hard bags and a touring windscreen to a big sport standard -- Honda VFR 800, Kawasaki Ninja 1000, Yamaha FZ-1, or Suzuki GSF1200 S.

If you want something different, though, I'd suggest a Ducati ST -- ST2, ST3, ST4, ST4s.

Right now I'm considering a Ducati ST4s. With a full set of hard bags, full fairing, and touring windscreen, it can travel. With Ohlins shock, Showa titanium-nitride fork, and 996 Superbike engine, it can rail. Price-wise, they are the bargain bikes among used Ducatis. Reliability is reportedly very good, at least for the later models. The bitter pill is maintenance costs -- unless you DIY (which involves investing in tools and a shim kit -- $$$), dealer maintenance is around $500-$700 every 6,000 miles; $1,000-$1,200 every 12,000 miles. I'm still trying to justify that.

·
Banned
686 Posts
If you're going to buy a Ducati for sport-touring, you should be looking at a Multistrada 1200, and not the older ST series. The ST bikes (especially the ST3) are great bikes, but the MST is far beyond anything that the ST could hope to be in comfort, speed, reliability, and of course... service intervals.

Ride one. You'll figure it out.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Wow, seven pages and no one mentioned the KTM SM-T. It would be my second choice behind the Multistrada 1200 for those criteria. It's quick, light, comes with soft bags and has a hard bag option, and windscreen. It's basically a Superduke with a fairing.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
If you're going to buy a Ducati for sport-touring, you should be looking at a Multistrada 1200, and not the older ST series. The ST bikes (especially the ST3) are great bikes, but the MST is far beyond anything that the ST could hope to be in comfort, speed, reliability, and of course... service intervals.

Ride one. You'll figure it out.
Of course I agree that the MTS 1200 is a stupendous bike, whereas the ST bikes are merely excellent. Also, an MTS 1200s Touring is $20,000, while a nice ST4s is maybe $6,000.

I'm interested in your opinion of the prior gen MTS bikes -- MTS 1000DS and MTS1100 (with hard bags) vs. the ST bikes. As I mentioned, I have my eye on a particular ST4s, but I ve always liked the Multistrada, and wonder if, say, an MTS 1000 DS with the Ohlins bits and Ducati Performance bags would be a better choice.

·
Banned
686 Posts
Of course I agree that the MTS 1200 is a stupendous bike, whereas the ST bikes are merely excellent. Also, an MTS 1200s Touring is $20,000, while a nice ST4s is maybe $6,000.

I'm interested in your opinion of the prior gen MTS bikes -- MTS 1000DS and MTS1100 (with hard bags) vs. the ST bikes. As I mentioned, I have my eye on a particular ST4s, but I ve always liked the Multistrada, and wonder if, say, an MTS 1000 DS with the Ohlins bits and Ducati Performance bags would be a better choice.
The 1000DS is a bulletproof motor. I've seen plenty of 1000's come in with lots of miles, and very few frowns. Had a gentleman do 3 trips to Prudhoe bay on his Red 1000DS S, then sold it to us. Another local fellow bought it, and now he's riding the wheels of it. It just won't die. Last time I heard, it had somewhere close to 80,000 miles on it. :thumbsup:

I haven't seen many 1100's, nor have I heard much.

The new MTS1200 is a costly bike, but it does EVERYTHING. You're essentially buying a truck, minus 2 wheels. Rarely does a new one at the shop last more than a couple weeks. Used ones go even faster, as do the used 1000's. We do have a black one for sale, full kit, plus extras. It's a friend who's selling it, as his wife is pregnant, and will no longer be riding with him. He kept his 1199. ;D

If you can find a used 1k, I would seriously consider it, although as with any other bike, make sure it was treated well. Some 'Strada users seem to have a mentality of forgetting details like oil changes, chain maintenance, etc. ;)

Fall is just around the corner, and with military deployments and moves, our used inventory is constantly rotating. I'll keep an eye out for you if you'd like, and if we get anything in that interestes you (ST, MTS), I can PM you. It's a regular thing for people to fly in, and ride home on their new motorbike. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I almost bought a '05 1000S Multistrada at a dealer with under 7Kmiles for a reduced price of $5.5K. Full Ohlins with a recent full service. I really should have, but I don't have the space to store two bikes while I sell the other. The 1000 motor, dual spark, 2 valve, air cooled is a great street motor as stated. It doesn't have the hp of a SV1000 twin, but plenty of torque and easy to work on vs the water cooled 8 valve motors. Two things that I have found is that on early engines, valve guides were soft and could need replacing before their time and the plastic roto molded tank can suffer the ethanol woes of other Ducatis. I believe with the 1100 motor the guide problem was solved and all of those are S Ohlins models. You can compare the orig. multi with the Triumph Tiger 1050 as far as its street mission and purpose. Not really a dual purpose bike. I'm sorry I didn't go for it. I almost sold my Triumph for a ST2 with low mileage and a low price before finding the 1000SDS. Personally, I have no desire to own the 8 valvole motor.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
How does the Multistrada 1000DS compare to the SV650? I'm concerned that they won't be so different, in feel or performance, as to justify having both.

I seem to recall that Ducati lengthened the service intervals on the old MTS a few years ago. What model year was that? Was it the 1100 engine, only?

Can the prior gen MTS handle light off-road duty, like gravel and fire roads?

Mike, yes, keep me in mind on bikes that come in. Thanks for that.

Tom, the prior gen MTS strikes me as handsome in a kind of purposeful way, but I'll admit it is odd-looking. FWIW, the MTS 1200 is no beauty queen, either. I like them, anyway.

·
Registered
523 Posts
May be considering a different bike, if I can find something that fits this criteria:

1) Hard side/saddle bags

2) 100+hp

3) Less than 650 lbs

4) Bars/Clipons that are somewhere in between S clipons and N handlebars, maybe similar to Superbike bars. Forward leaning but comfortable. This can be changed though.

5) Windscreen of some sort, sorry no nakeds

6) More sporty than sport-touring. FJR, Concours, ST's seem more touring oriented than I want

Haven't been able to find anything that fits all of these criteria. If you have any ideas let me know...

BMW K1300s or GT (depending how far you want to go).

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Cfreger, the 1000DS motor is rated at 85HP and 68lb torque. The 1100 which came out in '07 has 95HP. Neither motor is as strong as the SV1000, you decide whether it's enough of a difference from the SV650. The riding position is sort of tall traillie, think of it as a taller more upright monster. Multistrada means many roads, but it's not a worthy off road bike. I would think fire roads would be okay with the correct tires fitted. It has longer travel suspension that works better on gnarly street roads. The bike is capable of hauling arse in the twisties if you are. If you crave the current power of today's bikes, you may be under whelmed. Still, a fine real world street bike.

·
Banned
686 Posts
How does the Multistrada 1000DS compare to the SV650? I'm concerned that they won't be so different, in feel or performance, as to justify having both.

I seem to recall that Ducati lengthened the service intervals on the old MTS a few years ago. What model year was that? Was it the 1100 engine, only?

Can the prior gen MTS handle light off-road duty, like gravel and fire roads?

Mike, yes, keep me in mind on bikes that come in. Thanks for that.

Tom, the prior gen MTS strikes me as handsome in a kind of purposeful way, but I'll admit it is odd-looking. FWIW, the MTS 1200 is no beauty queen, either. I like them, anyway.
DS is a strong bike. It tends to be gutless under 4k, but performs great higher up. Like so many Ducati's, it's not happy unless it's going over 50mph or so. Everything settles in over 80. Like riding on a cloud.

I believe the SI on the 1000 was 5,000 miles. I'm not sure about the 1100. The new MTS has 15,000km intervals... about 9,500 miles.

All MTS's can handle light off-road riding. As I said before, we had a gentleman that did 3 AK trips, including the Dalton Highway. The biggest issue is protecting the oil cooler and radiator from stones. The new MTS comes with added fender bits, as well as a beefy plate underneath to help out. But none are as off-road worthy as something like a KLR/DR/XR. For what most people consider "off-road", it will do just fine.

Like the Diavel, the MTS has grown on me.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
If you look at the thread, so far the only 4 bikes fit the criteria..

The idea here is very few bikes are sport touring bikes that are more sporty than touring...

...even when seen that I have clearly done research...

...simply don't click on the thread...

If you look close enough, the first post has specific criteria in bikes I was looking for.... Just implying leaning more towards the sportier end of sport touring.
I suppose if research is sticking your fingers in your ears and going "LA LA LA LA LA..."

The K12RS is on the sport end of touring no matter what you care to believe and precisely hit all the buttons on your original criteria.

Ok. Don't bother clicking. 8)

61 - 75 of 75 Posts