Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I know GW riders who can run circle around you on your SV.

;)

A GW will never be in my future. I prefer sportier bikes. A VFR is probably as close to a GW as I'll ever get. And hopefully next summer.
I do too, 1800cc motor will leave me sitting there. Same here, its just not what I like. Closest I'd probably get is FJR/C14.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Triumph Tiger 1050. Leftover '10s with all the bags and goodies go for ~$11K otd or less. My friend just bought one, he loves it and used to ride a '07DL650. Beautiful street motor. Makes max torque under 7Krpm and has plenty of power. A more upright/comfortable Speed Triple.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Triumph Tiger 1050. Leftover '10s with all the bags and goodies go for ~$11K otd or less. My friend just bought one, he loves it and used to ride a '07DL650. Beautiful street motor. Makes max torque under 7Krpm and has plenty of power. A more upright/comfortable Speed Triple.
Yeah that's the problem with Triumph. It still makes no sense to buy a '10 for $11k when you can buy a lightly used 09 for under $7k

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Still liking my BMW K1200RS. Hard cases, weighs in about 620. Will have parts availability effectively forever.
This is a 1998. I'd say go for the 02-04, last years of this run. Stock it comes with the bars low and forward. I got some back and higher risers for comfort.
Low down torque for an inline 4, but scoots like no other in much comfort. 38mpg and a 5.5 gal tank. 200 miles pretty easy.
Looks nice without the bags too. I think it's rolling artwork, but you don't have to.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Better than the above bmeer, a '08 K1200S with 167Hp, clamshell bags, ABS, computer, heated grips, duolever. My friend had one, the power and handling in the twisties was unbelievable for an open GT bike. And, he averaged 45mpg with a very aggressive right hand. Under $10K for a bike that sold for over $16K.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Some "help me pick a bike threads" are okay, but many fall into the "I don't want to do any research, and I'll just complain about your suggestions". Unfortunately, this is one of the latter.

There are only so many mainstream bike manufacturers. It's not hard to find all their websites. There are a number of websites that have reviews and/or specs of older bikes. There really isn't much of an excuse for not doing your own homework.

Unless your tastes or needs are almost unique, there are almost always a number of choices that either match exactly or would be easily adapted to your criteria. There are almost always trade-offs, so it helps to be realistic.

People who buy, or refuse to buy, certain bikes or styles of bikes merely because of looks, or what their "peers" think, or because the bike must be only used by persons of a certain age, are correctly called posers. Real riders examine and understand their riding, and choose appropriate bikes.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Some "help me pick a bike threads" are okay, but many fall into the "I don't want to do any research, and I'll just complain about your suggestions". Unfortunately, this is one of the latter.

There are only so many mainstream bike manufacturers. It's not hard to find all their websites. There are a number of websites that have reviews and/or specs of older bikes. There really isn't much of an excuse for not doing your own homework.

Unless your tastes or needs are almost unique, there are almost always a number of choices that either match exactly or would be easily adapted to your criteria. There are almost always trade-offs, so it helps to be realistic.

People who buy, or refuse to buy, certain bikes or styles of bikes merely because of looks, or what their "peers" think, or because the bike must be only used by persons of a certain age, are correctly called posers. Real riders examine and understand their riding, and choose appropriate bikes.

Cheers.
If you look at the thread, so far the only 4 bikes fit the criteria, 2 of which I knew, 2 of which I didn't.

Sprint - didn't know the price was so much lower than other bikes
Futura - knew but hard to find locally

FZ1 - have been looking for, towards the top of the list
Ninja - didn't think about, too new to buy used

Many others were simply suggestions. The idea here is very few bikes are sport touring bikes that are more sporty than touring, the Sprint and FZ1 being the closest.

Even then, there are still reasons swaying me away from the Sprint, and the FZ1 is back where I started, but requires mods to make it the way I'd want.

Sadly, over the years SVR had developed different categories of users/members. The first type are willing to help out, even when seen that I have clearly done research, others simply point out theres already a thread on this and to use the search feature. Unfortunately, your post seems to point towards the second.

Quite surprised it took towards the end of the second page before that happened, usually its towards the top of the first page.

Simply, if you don't have any helpful input, simply don't click on the thread. If its simply another "new bike thread," don't click on it. Sometimes options pop up that may not have, and other times problems for certain models also pop up that are helpful.

If you look close enough, the first post has specific criteria in bikes I was looking for. Other parts of posts (i.e. age) were simply joking around between other members and myself. Just implying leaning more towards the sportier end of sport touring.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
I think you're onto something here.

Exhibit one: The thread's title.

Exhibit two: The complete dearth of possible bikes he's looking at.

;)

Cheers.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Ah, but there are a bunch more bikes that you have missed, some seemingly pretty obvious. You never bothered to mention your budget. You didn't mention the bikes you liked, that met your criteria, although you did mention a few that you were excluding. As for "if you don't like the thread, don't post", you could have followed your own advice and not responded to my post. It really wasn't intended for you, but maybe to help out the next guy.

But, it's your money, your life and your bike. If you don't want to do the research, odds are that something acceptable will show up anyway.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
You should really try to find a K1200S to test ride. At 547lbs wet, it handles like a much lighter bike and has phenomenal hp and torque and is very sporty when compared to a RT bike. It is bigger than a FZ1, but will leave that bike behind. I do like FZ1s myself, but the Bmeer really doesn't need anything to fit your criteria, I believe. Unless you are rather small, the Bmeer is worth looking into. I would agree that service would be more expensive than the Yamaha and it is rather complicated vs the basic Yamaha as well. My friend traded his in for a R1200RT for more comfort and touring, but regrets the handling and power loss. Then again, he's 59, not under 30.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I'm just pointing out that the overall tone here has changed since I first signed up back in 09.

Never mentioned budget as that wasn't one of the primary concerns. Most bikes mentioned can be find used anyways under 8k.

I'm pretty sure the post was intended towards me, so I responded. Like previously mentioned, if theres nothing helpful to add, don't clutter the thread. So far out of 56 posts, 80+% of them have added some suggestion that fit the criteria.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
The R1200 is definitely a different category, but I'll check out the K1200S. You also mentioned many things which turn me away from BMW. I am partial to Jap bikes because of their ease of service/parts availability but would get a Euro bike if the right bike came along.

Theres a BMW dealer but 40 miles completely out of the way, I'll have to check them out sometime this weekend.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts