Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May be considering a different bike, if I can find something that fits this criteria:

1) Hard side/saddle bags

2) 100+hp

3) Less than 650 lbs

4) Bars/Clipons that are somewhere in between S clipons and N handlebars, maybe similar to Superbike bars. Forward leaning but comfortable. This can be changed though.

5) Windscreen of some sort, sorry no nakeds

6) More sporty than sport-touring. FJR, Concours, ST's seem more touring oriented than I want

Haven't been able to find anything that fits all of these criteria. If you have any ideas let me know...

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
VFR...Tiger...Many of the R-series...ST1200...Pretty much any sport touring bike.

You might not find one that fits ALL of those. The VFR probably comes the closest.

(edit)

I'd be more concerned with torque numbers than hp. Actually, I wouldn't be worried about hp at all...they're all more than capable for anything you need.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've ridden a VFR800, and to be 100% honest, didn't like it all that much. I rode one that was maybe an 04-05 and felt it needed more power for its weight.

I need something with the power to weight ratio of atleast the SV, and then a little more.

The sport touring bikes get to favor the touring more than sport. Maybe after I turn 30.

FZ1 is the closest so far.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As long as the power to weight is similar or higher to an SV, it'll be fine.

Flickability/maneuvarability is also important. I've considered a ZX-14/Busa/etc to outfit with hardbags and taller bars, so that is an option.

70 hp on a 400 lb like the SV is pretty close, now if I had around 100hp with the same weight, with hardbags, I'd be pretty happy.

FZ1/Ninja 1K catches my eye for that very reason, 150ish hp, less than 500 lbs, just needs some bags.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BTW, I've went through this last year as well, after not finding anything that fit well enough, I ended up putting handlebars on my S.

Hopefully this thread doesn't push me to put hardbags on the SV.

·
Registered
546 Posts
-XB12XT? Probably way too much on the Touring/Dual-sport side.
-Triumph 1050 Sprint ST? That would be close, but I don't remember them having factory hard luggage.
-Ducati Mutistrada? Probably too upright.
-Moto Guzzi Norge? Probably too upright.

EDIT: Nevermind, I should have hit refresh before I posted in here.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
-XB12XT? Probably way too much on the Touring/Dual-sport side.
-Triumph 1050 Sprint ST? That would be close, but I don't remember them having factory hard luggage.
-Ducati Mutistrada? Probably too upright.
-Moto Guzzi Norge? Probably too upright.
The Triumph Sprint looks pretty nice, and relatively close too for my criteria. Thanks for the suggestion

·
Registered
850 Posts
The VFR has a better power to weight ratio than the SV. It must be something else you're really looking for.

2nd gen SV Wet weight = 436lbs. Power = 73.4 hp. Power/Weight = 0.168 hp/lb

VFR 800 Wet weight roughly = 540 lbs (assumes ~60 lbs higher than dry weight). Power = 110 hp. Power/Weight = .203 hp/lb

1 - 20 of 75 Posts