Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well ever since i bought my bike, i've only had one key. i've always told myself i was going to get another, but being the procrastinator that i am i haven't done it. now the key is gone and i don't know what to do (never lost one before). can i just go to the dealer and order a new one? or do i have to get a locksmith to come out?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
You should be able to order one from the dealer. Without an original, they'll probably ask to see proof of ownership (title and driver's license).

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
that's a bummer. if you have the key code you should be able to go to the dealer, tell them the code and proof of ownership and they will get one on order. do not lose the key code, keep it in a safe place.

i had a copy of my key made within a week that i bought mine. it was $3. haha. can't beat that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
call a locksmith I cut keys for motorcycles all the time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im guessing locksmith is the way to go. i bought used and don't have the key code.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My used SV only came with one key, you inspired me to stop by the dealership and get a copy cut. Thanks for the inspiration and saving me from a headache down the road.

·
Registered
219 Posts
go to a lock smith, the dealership will charge you more! Make sure you have proof of ownership. I make sure I have at least 3 keys, just in case you have different key chains

·
Registered
169 Posts
how much do dealerships cost compared to locksmiths? i bought used and don't have the key code

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I got 2 copies of my key made (bought used, with only one key, no code) and it was about $20. (at dealer) I felt it was kinda high, it was like 8 bucks per key. Couldn't get them copied at wal-mart for $.99 because they didn't have the right size.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i tried to get a copy at lowes but they didn't have the right size either

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
The local dealer sold me a generic blank and I had to take it to a locksmith to get cut (the locksmith didn't have the blanks).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts