Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
I had at least 3 to 4 cars worth of distance. That gets eaten up quickly if someone brakes card though :( I should of uploaded the video that has the GPS on it. I went from 65 to 45-40 before the hit. Why did that guy break that hard? Was he avoiding something? I find it hard to move the bike when breaking, I don't have this issue as much on my ninja 300. But I think I will take your advice and practice hard breaking again. Last time I did that on the freeway, the rear end came forward. Terrifying I was lucky the bike didnt throw me over.
You might want to look at your front forks. If you're heavier than like 155lb, you might want stiffer forks and thicker oil so that the front doesn't dive on hard braking.

Other than that, it's really worth to go out and practice emergency maneuvers so you know how the bike will react and how hard it can be pushed.

As far as why they would brake so hard, who knows, maybe they saw a duck in the road, or looked up from facebook to remember they were driving and panicked. You have to read the traffic. You can usually tell who the bad drivers are, and stay away from them, or leave extra room and cover your brakes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Your video is giving me flashbacks. It's eerie how similar your accident was to mine. I started a thread about mine but do not have video footage:

https://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=394349

Basically the same thing happened at about the same speed and with very similar injuries to my leg and ankle. The cars in front of me slammed on their brakes, one car veered left, the other veered right. I felt like I had nowhere to go so I slammed on my brakes and front tire locked up and I took a spill.

IMO, there is no point in criticizing a rider for what they did or didn't do "in the moment". It all happens so fast that our reactions are just instinct. Unless you have a lot of training for emergency situations where you can react purely off of muscle memory, you are just going to do what your instinct is.

As you said, the best thing to do is to wear all the proper safety gear and ride very defensively.

You did a good job saving it after the impact. Good to see you walked away in one piece with nothing broken. Congested traffic like that on the highway is dangerous for riders; there is just no way to maintain a safe following distance because people constantly turn into your lane if you leave a big enough gap from the car in front of you. I avoid riding in those conditions whenever I can. Also I'm very cautious when riding on weekends after about 10pm because that's when the drunk drivers are out.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
He does have a point.

I always covered my front brake with two fingers when riding.

My ring and pinkie were more than sufficient to maintain throttle.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Troll alert. Every post by this guy lately is just trolling.
Oh right I'm a troll because being taught to use your brakes properly is definitely not a good idea?

I've been on here for 2 years, why would I be here just to be a troll? I'm sorry but I can't abide by stupidity and teaching someone to use brakes like he was taught is just stupid.

·
Registered
926 Posts
He does have a point.

And foot hovering over the brake pedal as well. I really fail to see how this is a troll, calling an instructor out for being so idiotic as to teach people to not cover the brakes, so in the event on an emergency where they're more likely to panic, they potentially don't use them because they just freak out, whereas if you'd had them covered, you'd be more likely to use them, notice I didn't say press on them while you're riding @snailman.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
And foot hovering over the brake pedal as well. I really fail to see how this is a troll, calling an instructor out for being so idiotic as to teach people to not cover the brakes, so in the event on an emergency where they're more likely to panic, they potentially don't use them because they just freak out, whereas if you'd had them covered, you'd be more likely to use them, notice I didn't say press on them while you're riding @snailman.
Resorting to namecalling and general rudeness in all of your posts unprovoked = trolling.

You can have your opinion, but you don't have to be a jerk. Also, covering the brake can be dangerous, particularly for a rider that's just starting out. Getting too grabby with the front brake when blindly reacting is likely to end in sliding the front wheel and crashing.

You should take a step back and reread your own posts before giving into the urge to reply.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Name calling of whom? Are you an instructor? If not then it wasnt directed at you, so not trolling.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Just wanted to give a major update. Allstate Investigator has determined that this was 100% my fault. I am beyond upset. I would of settled for 50 50 but no. They create the un safe driving condition and its my fault for not being able to react to that.

What kind of idiot logic is it to teach someone to not cover the brakes so they have immediate access to them in an emergency.
Maybe so but the logic behind it was, since most bikes don't have ABS, you are much more likely to over react if you hand on your breaks vs having to place your hand on it. If you over react and slam on your break, you may create a even more dangerous situation. I had this happen to me once. But this logic can go both ways. I do not disagree or agree, I think it can apply to some situation at the very least.

You might want to look at your front forks. If you're heavier than like 155lb, you might want stiffer forks and thicker oil so that the front doesn't dive on hard braking.

Other than that, it's really worth to go out and practice emergency maneuvers so you know how the bike will react and how hard it can be pushed.

As far as why they would brake so hard, who knows, maybe they saw a duck in the road, or looked up from facebook to remember they were driving and panicked. You have to read the traffic. You can usually tell who the bad drivers are, and stay away from them, or leave extra room and cover your brakes.
I'm about 155.
I couldn't read traffic ahead of me. Going up hill, my view was blocked all I could see was the car in front of me. I only regret is not staying near the middle of the lane, that would of giving me more visibility ahead. I had the room just went through my options before I settled for braking.

Your video is giving me flashbacks. It's eerie how similar your accident was to mine. I started a thread about mine but do not have video footage:
https://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=394349
Basically the same thing happened at about the same speed and with very similar injuries to my leg and ankle. The cars in front of me slammed on their brakes, one car veered left, the other veered right. I felt like I had nowhere to go so I slammed on my brakes and front tire locked up and I took a spill.
IMO, there is no point in criticizing a rider for what they did or didn't do "in the moment". It all happens so fast that our reactions are just instinct. Unless you have a lot of training for emergency situations where you can react purely off of muscle memory, you are just going to do what your instinct is.

As you said, the best thing to do is to wear all the proper safety gear and ride very defensively.

You did a good job saving it after the impact. Good to see you walked away in one piece with nothing broken. Congested traffic like that on the highway is dangerous for riders; there is just no way to maintain a safe following distance because people constantly turn into your lane if you leave a big enough gap from the car in front of you. I avoid riding in those conditions whenever I can. Also I'm very cautious when riding on weekends after about 10pm because that's when the drunk drivers are out.
I haven't chad a chance to explore your thread but I will because I am curious. And yes your story sounds exactly like mine! And that's what I keep telling people, its easy to criticise and say "oh well you should of done this or that or whatever" but when you in that situation, like you sais, instincts kick in. It's interesting that you said you avoid traffic andnight time driving. A friend of mine who has about 10 years worth of riding experience, went out on a known road where the speed limit is about 25. He was in his car and was rear ended. The truck that hit him was going 80and now he has spinal cord damager. Weird how some motorist crash at high speeds and get off with a few bruises.

Who did the insurance determined was at fault? My insurance said I WAS AT FAULT. Which is lame I am definitely going to try and dispute it.

Troll alert. Every post by this guy lately is just trolling.
If he is, the best thing to do is ignore him. I just want to share my story and hope that someone can learn from it.

He does have a point.

I get the logic, my training class said otherwise because you may over react and potentially create an even more dangerous position.

Oh right I'm a troll because being taught to use your brakes properly is definitely not a good idea?

I've been on here for 2 years, why would I be here just to be a troll? I'm sorry but I can't abide by stupidity and teaching someone to use brakes like he was taught is just stupid.
I see where you are coming from, but the instructors that taught me had decades of experience. I'm not saying either or is better, I simply went with what I was taught, evade if all possible, break HARD if you got nothing else, but to never have you hand over the break or foot for that matter.

Few times that I had to break, I almost created an even worse situation. I learned to evade effectively. I failed in this one case.

Thanks for you feed back and like said I don't really have a stance on this. The instructors were very experienced and have been riding for some time. This was in San Diego, there arent many schools for motorcycle and some people here know them. See above reply. Maybe this applies for newbies.

Resorting to namecalling and general rudeness in all of your posts unprovoked = trolling.

You can have your opinion, but you don't have to be a jerk. Also, covering the brake can be dangerous, particularly for a rider that's just starting out. Getting too grabby with the front brake when blindly reacting is likely to end in sliding the front wheel and crashing.

You should take a step back and reread your own posts before giving into the urge to reply.
Agreed, your assessment which is what the instructor said about getting to "grabby" with the breaks.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
1 more thing guys

I need to replace my Radiator for my SFV650. I am having a terrible luck finding a radiator. Do they sell after market radiators for my bike?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I didn't see this before, but was going to say that this would almost certainly be 100% your fault.

You're required to follow far enough that you can stop if the person in front of you does. I understand that isn't something that can always be done reasonably.

If you rear end someone, and don't have evidence that they had just cut you off or similar, you will almost certainly be found to be at fault. I was cut off and rear ended the person, and yet was found at fault.

I don't see any aftermarket radiators for the SFV. How bent up is it? You might want to contact https://motorcycleradiators.com , I have their radiators on my 'berg and they're very well made, so they might be able to repair your existing one.

https://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147225&highlight=sv+radiator has some info on putting a different radiator on an SFV.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Well, when was the last time you kept 250 feet distance behind the guy in front? And how quickly did that space get filled by 3 cars?

https://begin-motorcycling.co.uk/the-5-elements-of-cbt/element-c/braking/
did you not read the next sentence I wrote? I'm not sure why you're trying to refute my statement by posting something that agrees with me.

however, there's an issue with that: you don't need to leave enough space to stop between you and the car in front of you, you need to leave enough space to stop so that you don't hit them when they stop.

they take time to stop as well, so you can be closer than that distance and still stop in time.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I agree with your statement. They initially didn't want to give me their info and wanted to leave the scene as they were late for work. The guy kept expressing, "that guy in front of us braked hard" or something to that, which to me leads me to believe that they were tailgating as shown in the video.

I know I could of breaked earlier, but breaking is a last option. I took account my training and thought of bank left, then thought about bank right, and by the time I initiated my 3rd option, which is break, it was too late. I Went from 65 to 45 before the hit. :(

I knew if I would have let go of the bike, it would of thrown me or could of caused already a bad situation worse. I have to give the bike credit, it regained stability fairly quickly.

Any ideas where I can buy a radiator for cheap? I can't seem to find the cover ANYWHERE. Either I am not searching it correctly or people just haven't listed them for sale. Any suggestion I would greatly appreciate it. 2013 SFV650
This forum and Ebay are your best friends. Don't be limited to just 2003 model. I had 2003 SV650 Nekkid and trashed my radiator in a crash. Was hard as f to find exactly the same one for cheap. Found 2007 - 2009 (can't remember) one off SV650s with a fan and installed it. It fits alright and i actually liked it a lot more than big wide 2003 one. You might need to add a longer link for the lower mounting point cause the new fan is a bit bigger than the one for 2003. BTW 2003 fan will not fit on newer one as I recall. But dont quote me on that.

Never had any issues since I installed it. It's not complicated at all. You might not even need to mod anything since you already have an "S" version. Duuno how different it is from a naked one. I can search for pics if you are interested but it happened back in 2009 and I sold my SV since then. Be safe.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
did you not read the next sentence I wrote? I'm not sure why you're trying to refute my statement by posting something that agrees with me.
I did read that sentence. Explain what I should be seeing in it.

And are you only expecting nods of agreement to every comment you post online? Are you going to freak out any time someone has a differing opinion?

however, there's an issue with that: you don't need to leave enough space to stop between you and the car in front of you, you need to leave enough space to stop so that you don't hit them when they stop.
So... you need to leave room to stop.

they take time to stop as well, so you can be closer than that distance and still stop in time.
Yeah, they have ABS and 4 fat tires with a single pedal linked to all brake calipers, and a big fat steering wheel they jerk to the side in a panic and let stability control help them.

Last time I watched that video, the other cars avoided an impact because they veered to the side, not because they stopped.

·
Super Moderator
8,237 Posts
as far as insurance/licensing any front-to-rear collision is always the fault of the driver behind unless it's a brake-check situation.

as a riding instructor:
-your swerve to the left was ineffective. which is a good reminder to all of us to practice those to the point where they're muscle memory.
-you also never looked at the escape path but instead went exactly where you looked (the left taillight on the accord)
-if braking was going to be your solution, you could have also braked pretty effectively
-you do this thing when you ride by cars where you look at the cars as you ride by them (head going to the right). that robbed you of vision/reaction time since you were looking to the right when the incident was developing in front.

edit: this is not to say I could have done better. this is to say that intentional practice could have made that better.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thank you all for commenting, I will reply to you all shortly. I wanted to say that I found a china made aluminum radiator for my Gladdy for 260 bucks! I think its worth it, it just came out I think because it wasnt there before.

WOuld you guys try and fix the old radiator? It's bent backwards and part of the corner open up like you would open up a can of food where you open the lid upwards. I can maybe take it to mexico and do it there, or would you not risk it and buy a new one?

·
Registered
608 Posts
1st off glad you are still here and able to post up.

From your 1st post on SVR I see you've been on 2 wheels for 6 months or so?

My take from your video is you could had gone between the grey car and the wall quite easy. I think your first instinct would had been best, go left. Would had 20-25' more braking space and you could had been slow enough to maneouver around the cars easier. Trust your 1st instinct.

I don't think the white car was tailgating the grey car. Grey car probably was tailgating the one in front of him though. White car driver maybe wasn't paying attention and slammed the brakes on when they seen the car in front was braking hard. You just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. As for at fault, the person doing the rear ending usually is at fault 95% of the time. If this is the 1st claim you ever had, it shouldn't bother your rates much if at all.

Things I do when I ride in traffic like that is to also scan look through the car in front of me windows to see the traffic in front of him. Wont have depth perspective, but usually you can see the taillights/3rd brake light of the car in front of them. Stuff like this you pick up with experience. I usually ride with 2 fingers on the front brake lever even on the HD.

Once you get your bike back up and running and feel up to riding. What I do every year is go out to a clean and empty parking lot, get up to 30-35mph and practice emergency braking on a regular basis. Get to learn how to approach max braking. Been riding since 1993, road racing bikes since 1999. I even practice this 2 up on a 900lb-ish HD Electraglide Ultra.

Just remember, every ride is a learning experience. You haven't experienced fun until you have the front wheel on a touring bike slide in a corner while 2 up. I think that was more of a pucker factor than having a full blown tank slapper on my YZF.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts