Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 3 months of constant travel, working diligently on the bike on weekends. Ordering parts, trouble shooting, finding more problems, the general headaches that come with learning everything about the bike for the first time.

It's Alive!

Started out with a stock 03 S that I have had for about two years. Love this bike. Finally decided to go and do the front end swap, rear shock swap, and repair road rash/cracks on some of the fairings from dropping it. It is my first bike anyways, so those things were expected.

Things I ended up doing.

-Plastic welding to repair road rash and cracks.
-Countless hours sanding old paint, stripping old paint, sanding some more.
-Painting with rattle cans. Definitely learn what not to do with them, had to redo some parts a few times because of learning curve. at least I started with the smaller parts first!
-Swapping in new forks/shock
-Replacing chain/sprockets
-Hall effect sensor for Spedo
-SVRP 3.5" Clipons,
-SS Brake lines, front and back -- Rear brake light pressure bolt
-Troubleshooting engine problems on the rebuild, ended up being loose wires. Day and a half to find it however.
-About 10 cases of beer.
-Sweet Ass Seats. They look great.
-Fender Elim off Ebay, going to get some neoprene to fill in gaps until this winter and I'll probably get a better tail elim.
-Integrated Tail Light -- Yes I still have blinkers. Drivers around here suck, rather would have two.
-Turned the small headlights in the front to blinkers.
-MotionPro Throttle cables, +4" ones.
-N Clutch Cable
-Woodcraft rearsets

And here are the pictures. Don't hate.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I like the frame color/design. Its a nice touch. :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
I love the paint job, It is not a color for me, But I love the detail and fact it is not "Stock". Good job with all the work. It looks sharp.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If anything it was a great learning experience. And definitely cleaned up the bike after it had been sitting for over a year during my deployment.

Excited to be back on the road and hitting the twisties.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I understand that, I did the same thing after my last deployment, with a little less outcome and a worse paint job.

Glad you made it back, and hope you dont have to go back..

·
Registered
391 Posts
You painted those plastics with rattle cans?? That came out pretty dam good. Nice job :)

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
how'd you get the "texture" in the green? I was partially thinking of doing something similar.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the comments people.

Texture effect was marbalizing. Basically done by laying your base coat (black on mine) letting it dry completely, I waited 3 days just because of weather honestly. Then spraying your top color, immediately laying Saran/plastic wrap ontop, crinkling with fingers, and peeling off. Comes out pretty well. Messed around a lot with the middle tail piece since it is small, to get the technique down to come out with an acceptable result to me, then moved onto the other pieces. Not meant to be uniform, comes out pretty good in my opinion.

Doing it with multiple shades of candy colors, blue/purple, would probably have a pretty sweet effect to it as well.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Thanks for the comments people.

Texture effect was marbalizing. Basically done by laying your base coat (black on mine) letting it dry completely, I waited 3 days just because of weather honestly. Then spraying your top color, immediately laying Saran/plastic wrap ontop, crinkling with fingers, and peeling off. Comes out pretty well. Messed around a lot with the middle tail piece since it is small, to get the technique down to come out with an acceptable result to me, then moved onto the other pieces. Not meant to be uniform, comes out pretty good in my opinion.

Doing it with multiple shades of candy colors, blue/purple, would probably have a pretty sweet effect to it as well.

That's what I thought it was. I literally was thinking of this same type thing like 2 days ago. I'm glad I got a chance to see what it looks like before I did.

I think if I go with a green it'll probably be a dark green. I'm still trying to decide.

I still think it looks great!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
It reminds me a of a Ninja Turtle. You should do a red stripe across the headlights.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Only think I would definitely suggest is making sure whatever paint you used doesn't get messed up by a clear coat engine paint. Used that to be gas/chemical resistant.

Used rustoleum engine paints, seem to hold up pretty well.

Lots of patience and sanding though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts