Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Re: Finaly a detaled How To, Swap clipons for handlebars

I recently completed the S to N conversion on my 2008 S to remove the clipons and install the stock N bars.

Before the installation I gathered all the necessary parts: custom SS brake lines, vstrom throttle housing and cable, N clutch cable, and the entire front end from a 2005 N (top and bottom triples, bars, ans brakes). After removing the S top triple, but not yet removing anything else, the N top triple did not fit on easily. I knew this in advance from this prior thread.

So i proceeded to remove the lower triple only to find the new N triple would not fit in the steering head. The N triple had 2 rows of bearings, whereas the S had one. We couldn't get the N triple to fit so we put the S triple back and test fit the N top triple. It fit at that point so we continued to reassemble everything. I didn't notice any issues with fitment having used the S lower with N upper, despite the different offset indicated by others.

After putting the bike back together and going for my first ride I lfound the clutch needed some re adjustment but otherwise everything was a huge improvement from before. It is definitely worth the time and cost involved to make the swap.

Question for those who have done the swap: why didn't my N lower fit into the steering head?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm about to do this conversion on my '07, thanks for all this consolidated info.

My question is this: My S was dropped by the first owner and has the fairing removed—will I still need any of the longer cables? Based on the discussion it sounds like I'd probably be ok with existing clutch and throttle assuming the fairing added some length requirements - is my assumption correct? What about front brake line?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm about to do this conversion on my '07, thanks for all this consolidated info.

My question is this: My S was dropped by the first owner and has the fairing removed—will I still need any of the longer cables? Based on the discussion it sounds like I'd probably be ok with existing clutch and throttle assuming the fairing added some length requirements - is my assumption correct? What about front brake line?
I think you will still need longer cables for both. The routing it mostly through the frame, not the faring.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think you will still need longer cables for both. The routing it mostly through the frame, not the faring.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
^ This. I would still go with the longer cables as NONE of the cables on my first gen route in/on/around the fairing...all through the forks and frame. I would imagine this still holds true for the second gens...There may be a wiring diagram in the service manual (and you can verify on your bike). It may look like they're long enough, but turning the handlebars to full lock will put undo strain on the cables (like the choke) that are physically long enough to stretch that far.

·
Registered
331 Posts
And on a 2nd gen if you've done a gsxr radial master cylinder swap it will hit the fairing with about 3/8 of an inch left to the lock turning left......not sure what to do now. In the middle of my swap and I just found this out. The lines are different ends for the radial mc.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Ok so I fiddled with it and made it work. Still rubs but barely. You have to watch your bar measurements. I'm running renthal ultra low with the naked triple. It's sad lower bars would have more clearance and bars with more pullback would have cleared but been close to the tank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Reviving a very old thread. I tried ordering the longer throttle cables from motionpro but it said they are back ordered until mid July. My question is can I still do the swap with the stock cables until july? I see a lot of threads saying that the stock N cable works but also a lot saying that the throttle tubes are different and they don't work. I was hoping to do the swap before mid summer... Do I also need new brake lines or can I just use my stock S lines?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Reviving a very old thread. I tried ordering the longer throttle cables from motionpro but it said they are back ordered until mid July. My question is can I still do the swap with the stock cables until july? I see a lot of threads saying that the stock N cable works but also a lot saying that the throttle tubes are different and they don't work. I was hoping to do the swap before mid summer... Do I also need new brake lines or can I just use my stock S lines?
If you re-rout the cables to the right side of the frame you should be fine.
You could do some experimenting before swapping the bars to be sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It seems that I can only find curvy triples on eBay. If I swap the whole triple would the curvy work on the pointy or are they completely different?

·
Registered
7 Posts
@the jelly man - I believe the 1st gen forks are the same size as the 2nd so you can probably swap the entire triple. You wouldn't have a good place to mount the 2nd gen speedo though, if that's a concern. I actually have an extra 2nd gen N upper triple I'd sell you if you want... I'll PM you.

·
Registered
334 Posts
It seems that I can only find curvy triples on eBay. If I swap the whole triple would the curvy work on the pointy or are they completely different?
completely different. You need a second gen (04+) lower and upper triple.
You'll also need a tool to remove the castle nut, security torx bits for the ignition.
the hard part will be finding a lower n triple. There's tons on ebay but you have to message the seller to find out what sv they're from.
You can get the upper triple from bighammer. He sold me his lower triple and has a naked upper I believe.
I didn't need longer cables, just ended up routing them through the frame. I'm using bikemaster daytona bars and they work okay.
Most people recommend doing a refresh but you don't have to. A refresh includes roller-ball bearings, new grease, and ss lines. Your stock brake lines are gonna be too short for sure though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
@the jelly man - I believe the 1st gen forks are the same size as the 2nd so you can probably swap the entire triple. You wouldn't have a good place to mount the 2nd gen speedo though, if that's a concern. I actually have an extra 2nd gen N upper triple I'd sell you if you want... I'll PM you.
If jellyman isn't interested, I would be. Let me know.

·
Registered
62 Posts
This gets confusing to keep up. So do you have to get new upper AND lower triples to do this swap? Can I just keep my S lower triple? Also, where can you get the longer clutch and brake lines? Lastly, what is the final word on the throttle tube and throttle lines? What has to be replaced there?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: Finaly a detaled How To, Swap clipons for handlebars

I did the same swap this summer, huge difference in the comfort factor.

Lost the fairing too. Naked triple makes mounting the vapor a breeze also!

I have the brake reservoir zip tied as well 🤓 Which clamp can I use on the handlebar?

61 - 75 of 75 Posts