Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my hands on a set of OEM lowers. I have Nate's sliders which don't exactly line up with the holes on the lowers.

I'd prefer to fill the hole and redrill it. Can anyone tell me a way to fill the hole that would allow me to redrill part of it for the new slider hole? Also a hole for the bolt to attach it to the frame.

thanks!

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
best way is to take two peices of wood, screw it together so it clamps the area you wanna drill, then drill thru the wood and plastic. Once you have your "new" hole....fill in the old one with fiber glass/plastic putty or whatever else is out there.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
two things:

the lowers will definitely be repainted, so this is not an issue.

drilling the new hole first won't really work because it's going to be part of the old hole. i'd say 1/4 to 1/2 the new hole will overlap the old hole.

but the bolt goes through the old hole and into the mounting bracket, so i'd need to drill a hole for the bolt where the old hole was.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Find another lower on ebay that is broken/rashed etc. Get it for like $25 and then cut two holes out of it to fill the holes in yours. Cut them where they fit tight and then use plastic epoxy to hold it in (it actually melts the plastic together). Then bondo and sand to cover. Then you can re-drill your holes wherever you like em

·
Registered
34 Posts
One Word ....

plastex

http://plastex.home.att.net/

This stuff is great. Sticks to our stoopid ABS plastics like nuthin else. Only takes 1 hour to set up. Can be drilled, sanded, painted, etc.

Comes as a powder with liquid catalyst hardener. I also lay the powder on to fiberglass cloth, squirt on the catalyst, and slap the 'glass onto cracked, broken parts that might need reinforcing. It comes with a mini .mpeg file on a CD in the box to not only explain all this, but shows someone actually repairing stuff. Easy to use.

I have been thru more than one crash on more than one bike, and this stuff has saved me a lot of money.

[/end plug]

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RedAggie03 said:
Find another lower on ebay that is broken/rashed etc. Get it for like $25 and then cut two holes out of it to fill the holes in yours. Cut them where they fit tight and then use plastic epoxy to hold it in (it actually melts the plastic together). Then bondo and sand to cover. Then you can re-drill your holes wherever you like em
that's an awesome idea. i've just never seen rashed lowers on ebay. i've really only seen new ones, and that's rare. though i could probably use any kind of plastic off the bike, right? a crashed/cracked front nose cowl or even a hugger, etc.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Bondo will fall off when the plastic flexes.

Use fiberglass and patch it from behind. Mask the front with duct tape and plastic wrap (if necessary). Use the cloth glass and vinyl resin. Be sure to sand the plastic real good with coarse paper in the area where you'll be using the glass or the resin won't stay stuck.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
stranger,
You do realize it would be a lot easier to just sell your motosliders and get the factory sliders. I do realize that they dont offer 100% of the protection the motosliders do...but it really would be a lot easier. Unless the fairing you are trying to fit is rashed already it seems like it would be a lot of work to fill and repaint.
ac

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
avc8130 said:
stranger,
You do realize it would be a lot easier to just sell your motosliders and get the factory sliders. I do realize that they dont offer 100% of the protection the motosliders do...but it really would be a lot easier. Unless the fairing you are trying to fit is rashed already it seems like it would be a lot of work to fill and repaint.
ac
the fairing is already rashed and needs sanding and repainting. it's also copper and my bike is silver.

and from what i've seen, the oem sliders might work, but the mounting system is crap

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
NO! DO NOT GET FACTORY SLIDERS! THEY SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUck.

Factory sliders cause damage to the bike itself. Well, the stupid bracket they are bolted on does. Its retarded. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Actually the sliders themselves suck ass too. They are too hard.

It doesnt look too bad if you drill it out to fit Nate's sliders and leave a slight hole there. Check it out:

Now ya said they were rashed copper ones...maybe you got my old ones 8)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that's perfect evil. now i can point out what i'm talking about. the mounting bracket (and where the OEM sliders would attach to) is supposed to attached through the hole that's there already. so in that pic, how are the lowers attached to the mounting bracket?

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
stranger said:
that's perfect evil. now i can point out what i'm talking about. the mounting bracket (and where the OEM sliders would attach to) is supposed to attached through the hole that's there already. so in that pic, how are the lowers attached to the mounting bracket?
They arent 8) . You dont need that piece of crap bracket. The plastic doesnt move without it. I'm really good with a dremel, and the plastic is tight around my motosliders, and I had rubber window seal crap inbeteen the plastic and slider. No shaking, no vibration ever. That bracket was my main problem when trying to figure this out, so I just eliminated it.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
evilbologna said:
They arent 8) . You dont need that piece of crap bracket. The plastic doesnt move without it. I'm really good with a dremel, and the plastic is tight around my motosliders, and I had rubber window seal crap inbeteen the plastic and slider. No shaking, no vibration ever. That bracket was my main problem when trying to figure this out, so I just eliminated it.
i think you just solved my biggest problem!! i just have to keep a steady hand with the dremal. no sneezing!!

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
If you measure carefully, you can use a hole saw, something a little smaller than the slider, then with a grinding wheel on the dremel, slowly work outwards. Its easier to get a tighter fit that way.

Or if you dont have a hole saw, use a cutting bit on the dremel and just chop out a hexagon or whatever shape, just to get rid of most of the material.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i have a hole saw. i was going to put shoe polish or something on the slider, fit the fairing so it marks where the slider hits. i was going to dremel out to that point, but i could use my holesaw bits and dremel out from there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts