Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
you only really need to file down the lip if you can foresee the need to remove the bearing in the future (ie. powercoating, changing to a different front end) as it sits pretty much flush on the lip of the frame.

i just pushed mine in and wham bam she was good to go

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
you only really need to file down the lip if you can foresee the need to remove the bearing in the future (ie. powercoating, changing to a different front end) as it sits pretty much flush on the lip of the frame.

i just pushed mine in and wham bam she was good to go
And when the bearing needs replacing, then what??

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
... i just pushed mine in and wham bam she was good to go
yeah, why woryy about tomorrow? cross that bridge when you come to it, right? :rolleyes:

And when the bearing needs replacing, then what??
:iamwithstupid: - and also the man that developed it.

Follow the instructions and take an extra 2 mins with a file to save you - or who-ever else might follow - from a much larger project down the road.

Besides - while you're reading those instructions you'll also come across the part that recommends to file the rough edge around the step.
Those pics on that link VEE included above are perfect to show what's needed.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I kind of eyeballed it to see how much I would need to file. I used a half round file and got it close. Then I switched to the tool in the pic to make the hole nice and round. I finished up by using a rat tail file to make the notches.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
So, er. Say my mate had fitted one of these, and he didn't get the instructions with the bearing and didn't realise that the seat is wider than the bearing, and now he needs to get it back out... What should I, er, my mate do? Cut the bearing? Hacksaw or dremel?

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
So, er. Say my mate had fitted one of these, and he didn't get the instructions with the bearing and didn't realise that the seat is wider than the bearing, and now he needs to get it back out... What should I, er, my mate do? Cut the bearing? Hacksaw or dremel?
I'd try coming in from the top with a dremel grinding wheel and cutting the notch. Shouldn't be too hard to remove the metal below the race. I had to something similar to get the bottom race out of a Kawasaki Concours many years ago. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Does anyone know if the new kit gets its new bearing from the gsxr or is it a specialty item or sourced from lets say an '85 honda but happens to make these two work together? Just curious...

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
Does anyone know if the new kit gets its new bearing from the gsxr or is it a specialty item or sourced from lets say an '85 honda but happens to make these two work together? Just curious...
Bottom is Suzuki OEM-size bearing (they are pretty much all 30/55/17); you can use a std Suzuki ball race, or install a tapered roller.
There is no 'off-the-shelf' bearing available in the dimension that would be required for the top; so Zoran at Twin Works Factory Racing produces a 'special' :p

·
Registered
744 Posts
If you, er, your mate had access to a welder, I'd just weld a small rod or strap across the bearing race and then beat it out using that. Of course this will destroy the race, but it'll definitely get it out.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Bottom is Suzuki OEM-size bearing (they are pretty much all 30/55/17); you can use a std Suzuki ball race, or install a tapered roller.
There is no 'off-the-shelf' bearing available in the dimension that would be required for the top; so Zoran at Twin Works Factory Racing produces a 'special' :p
Ah, so he is indeed the man. Thank you. This is the reason that I love this site,quick info,you know how crazy it makes you tring to find answears to problems through trial and error! Anyways,Thank you.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
If you, er, your mate had access to a welder, I'd just weld a small rod or strap across the bearing race and then beat it out using that. Of course this will destroy the race, but it'll definitely get it out.
He does, but he hasn't used it yet because he's afraid he'll weld himself to the bike ;D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts