Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I'm getting a divorce.
It's all good, my husband and I are now room mates raising our daughter, and sharing the house.
We are getting along OK (no fighting at all), we were, after all, pretty much just room mates for the past three years anyway. We have a few rough days here and there but it's to be expected.
We decided to file for divorce on line. I did the app. last night, but it felt kinda weird....not the divorce part, but the doing it on line part....
It was $250.00 to file the app. and you get free tech. support (LOL).
Anyone ever file on line???...it just felt kinda hokey....

·
Registered
920 Posts
Sorry to hear it as well.

On the "up side", (if there can be one in a situation like this), having a credit card statement with a "PayPal Divorce" posting nestled in between stuff like gas station and department store transactions would make a nice keepsake.

At least I think so.

But I've been wrong, (very, very wrong), before.

:p

;D

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
I hear what your saying Michelle as the wife and I have been along the same lines for some time ourselves. It's such a tough situation when you have kids. Good luck with everything.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
:(

Sorry, Michelle.

Running Quicken WillMaker was the same way for me. Just seemed odd to handle my final arrangements with a "simple user-friendly format". :p

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to hear it as well.

On the "up side", (if there can be one in a situation like this), having a credit card statement with a "PayPal Divorce" posting nestled in between stuff like gas station and department store transactions would make a nice keepsake.

At least I think so.

But I've been wrong, (very, very wrong), before.

:p

;D
I hadn't thought of it that way...I'll have to print off the receipt. It's the fact that there's tech support that makes me laugh....

Sorry to hear that, but it seems less hokey than a Vegas Wedding preformed by Elvis. That's Hokey.
well....we DID have a theme wedding....medieval pagan handfasting. I figured if I was gonna jump the broom, I'd want to do something out of the ordinary.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Sorry to hear that, but it seems less hokey than a Vegas Wedding preformed by Elvis. That's Hokey.
Heck I would have much rather done that than the huge hassle, stress, and expense of our "regular" wedding ;D.

Sorry to hear about the divorce, but it sounds like you both are ok with it which is nice. I know too many people that stay together because of their kids. But knowing several people whose parents divorced, said it was much less stressful for them afterward since the fighting ended (or drastically declined).

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well the good news is that we never have fought. Laurel ( our 8 year old daughter) has no idea it's even going on since nothing has really changed. Paul (husband) and I haven't slept in the same bed room for 3 years, nor do we do anything much together. We've had a few arguments during the separation but never when Laurel was home. It's a bit stressful on us but her grades actually went up in school, and she's sleeping and eating fine as ever.
Paul and I just grew apart and I've fallen out of love over the years....there's more to the story but essentially it's both our fault the marriage fell apart, and we're not blaming each other (but we do get a little resentful once in a while).

·
Registered
465 Posts
Michelle,

Sorry that the relationship didn't go as planned. My wife and are in a similar circumstance but without children.

For what it's worth we used a lawyer, and after reviewing the documentation I came away with the feeling that they have a template, changed the dates and just did a global find and replace to change the names. Guessing the end product will be similar as long as you are both on the same page.

Would be a pretty weird feeling though - "hmmm let's see I'm done filing for divorce, heck while I'm here I should check my ebay watch items!"

Hope it works out for you :)

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
We filed ours in person at the court. Its all free..all the documents are free at the courthouse, and there was a person there to explain what all the documents meant and how they should be filled out, who had to file them, etc. Its only a complex process if they lawyers get involved. Good luck. My divorce was the same (simpler due to no children). Keep civil, dont use lawyers and you'll both save lots of money and headaches. Just make sure you both are happy with the deal you negotiate.

Also, for your mental health, one of you should move out soon. I did the "live together" for a while waiting for the house to sell...it prolongs the recovery IMO.

·
Chief Greeter
28,482 Posts
Hi Michelle, Sorry to hear that. But it is great that the two of you are staying together for the sake of raising your daughter.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We filed ours in person at the court. Its all free..all the documents are free at the courthouse, and there was a person there to explain what all the documents meant and how they should be filled out, who had to file them, etc. Its only a complex process if they lawyers get involved. Good luck. My divorce was the same (simpler due to no children). Keep civil, dont use lawyers and you'll both save lots of money and headaches. Just make sure you both are happy with the deal you negotiate.

Also, for your mental health, one of you should move out soon. I did the "live together" for a while waiting for the house to sell...it prolongs the recovery IMO.
Here in N.S., Ca., the courts decide who gets what...but we're pleading our case on remaining joint ownership of all our properties so we can sort it out later without the courts involved, and spending a huge amount of money on assessments (we have 5 properties).
We're going to try to continue living together for now so we can share the parenting and finances. We separated our accounts over a year ago anyway, so we already know how to work that all out....and we've been physically separated for a long long time....

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
I got divorced online last year, was pretty easy. ;D

·
Registered
975 Posts
As long as any custody details are properly dealt with, I don't see any problem. Things may be going ok now but situations change. I've seen casual custody arrangements get downright ugly when other people came into the picture. I'm talking life altering alienation issues with little or no recourse.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
My divorce cost quite a bit less than that. The court house had a paperwork package. I just picked it up, filled them out, and filed. She signed her things and it was over. Nothing was contested as I was totally justified and she knew it. I think it was $65 total but it was 6 years or so ago. I can't remember exactly.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As long as any custody details are properly dealt with, I don't see any problem. Things may be going ok now but situations change. I've seen casual custody arrangements get downright ugly when other people came into the picture. I'm talking life altering alienation issues with little or no recourse.
I'll keep that in mind ...thanks. So far everything is fine. Judging by the way my husband is enjoying his new found freedom (didn't come home last night) I think he won't be filing for anything other than shared (50/50) custody...then he'd lose his "babysitter"...especially if he tried to kick me out.LOL...

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My divorce cost quite a bit less than that. The court house had a paperwork package. I just picked it up, filled them out, and filed. She signed her things and it was over. Nothing was contested as I was totally justified and she knew it. I think it was $65 total but it was 6 years or so ago. I can't remember exactly.
Sorry to hear the implied "wrong doings.." that must suck. We have 5 properties, and no causes for disputes so I did want to make sure I had SOME sort of "tech support" through all this. I'm still scared of getting hung out to dry since I came into the relationship with MUCH more than what he had. He recognizes that thankfully.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts