Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this subject has been addressed before,but I have not seen it anywhere here.
While waiting this past month for my MSF course to begin(26th)  I have purchased a piece of gear each pay period in order to have a complete set of gear once I pass the course & get my bike.

Thanks to boards such as Svrider.com I already have my Z1R strike helmet, JR Orbit boots & a couple pair of gloves. Now I need a little help.

Being from the south(Louisiana) where the heat index & humidity can be almost unbearable I was wondering would an Icon field armour vest ,or like brand , under a loose fitting shirt  be considered proper or adequate gear? Or would a jacket(which I shall get for cool weather riding) be the only way to go? The reason I ask is because I know riders who complained  of it being 'too hot' to ride this summer & barely took there bikes out because they did not want to put up with  the heat in their gear.

Also I would like some suggestions on armoured textile  pants that would fit over my casual pants which can be easily removed once I reach my destination?  Any help would be greatly appreciated in order for me to complete my 1st set of gear. Thank you.

Gerk

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Not sure what kind of, if any, abrasion protection that armor will provide. Your best bet might be one of the armored mesh jackets available for $75-150. Mesh isn't ideal for protection, but it is the bare minimum IMO...

HTH

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'll second the idea of getting a good quality mesh jacket instead of the Field Armor vest. The jacket is going to provide total protection (back, shoulder, elbows) while the vest will really only protect the back. Yeah they say chest protection too but really there's not much there. I'd look for protection for all of my bony parts (ankles, shins, knees, hips, elbows, shoulders) as they are usually the first areas to make contact with the ground.

FWIW I have the Field Armor vest. I bought it as supplemental protection for my back when I first started riding as I didn't feel a half inch of foam was much protection. The vest feels and looks like a Second Chance vest that a police officer would wear. In the summer in Maryland (heat index 95-105) the thing is unbearable and I don't wear it (I've since bought a regular back protector for summer riding). I guess what I'm getting at is that the vest is a poor substitute for a good jacket and that you'll be hotter than hell wearing it if you live in Louisiana.

N

·
0 Posts
IMO... The field armor product is 90% cosmetic. The only thing it has to offer is "some" back protection.

In my own (unfortunate!) experience, when you go down on the street (entirely different from eating it on the track), the initial impact is taken by your hands, elbows, shoulders or knees, with your hips, back, a$$, and head taking the secondary impact and/or abrasion. The field armor offers very little or no protection to your arms and shoulders.

There are many mesh jackets at reasonable prices that offer better impact protection (CE rated armor, if possible*) although abrasion resistance won't be as good as leather or Cordura.

[url]http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/default.asp[/url]
[url]http://www.newenough.com/index2.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.ridegear.com/[/url]

(*the US has no official standards whatsoever for armor- the manufacturer could use bubble wrap and call it armor if they chose to- so the european standards offers at least some assurance.)

Good job on thinking about the gear, BTW. As you know many people here in the south (and elsewhere) don't bother with it at all. It's hot and sometimes uncomfortable but it'll quite literally save your a$$...

Ride safe!

:)

·
Registered
397 Posts
If I were you, I'd not get the vest and just wear a T-shirt...if you do happen to lay your bike down...your gonna have lotsa dmg to your arms. I'd suggest you get a jacket, even if its mesh for the hot weather. Those provide you with ALOT more protection then just a little vest. As for pants, I just went for the ICON field leg armors for protection because I didn't feel like buying realy moto pants, they're really comfy and fits pretty nicely on your leg while riding. The vest I really dont like the idea that my arms will be out in the open cushioning a fall....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sounds like you have some advice already. I'll throw in my two cents though.

I'm in Houston, also hot and humid most of the year.

For summer riding I use a Fieldsheer mesh jacket. I like it b/c it uses CE approved armour and the back is leather instead of mesh. Although the leather does keep some heat it, I feel it would protect better. For pants I either ride with Drag'n Jeans or Slacks OR I have a pair of Fieldsheer mesh pants. I bought the mesh pants one size too big so I can put them over regular slacks easily. The mesh pants with regular jeans underneath would be too bulky and not work well. During the summer you will be hot period. While I'm riding I have no problems as the mesh gives great air flow. When you are stopped in traffic it is just hot.

For the three days of Houston fall and winter I have a perforated leather jacket with a liner. Toasty warm for most conditions and useful when doing track days.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Check out www.motoport.com

Check their Air Mesh Kevlar, it is getting pretty good reviews in my area.
It is better than Aerostich as the GoreTex is removable making it a pure mesh jacket that they
are claiming to be tougher and lighter than leather.

I have not heard any negative reviews except for the amount of time it takes to get one.
In late summer they are up to a 12 week waiting period.

I will be ordering mine in late November to early December.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Go with the jacket. The vest offers no skin protection for your arms. I'm thinking of getting the vest myself, more as a back protector though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you guys(nc 650)  for sparing me the pain by learning from  your experiences ;).  I suspected that the field armour may not be such a good idea as I have never heard of it being mentioned here during my 3 weeks or so of lurking.

I will go to the local dealer this week & try out some jackets. I guess the mesh would not be so bad sans the liner or  a vented leather or cordura.  Just thought I would get some real world experiences with armour first.

I would be lost & confused in this endeavor if not for responsible & sharing riders like yourselves.

Nc 650 you are exactly correct shorts & tee shirts seem to be the gear of choice down south. I even had a guy this weekend at a dealership with 6mos experience (drove up on his gixxer 1000 with the Army workout gray shirt & shorts) recommending I get the 750 gixxer as a beginner ;'Not too little ,not too much" he says :eek:) I am pretty much set on the svs 650 it must be a great bike. The devotion to it I have seen on the internet is unreal.

Thank you guys for saving me $100 dollars on a vest that would have given me a false sense of security. I don't have the prettiest skin in the world ,but it's mine & I love  it.

Thank you Currently for the link for Air Mesh Kevlar I shall definately look into it as I am not too concerned with the wait as I plan on having two jackets anyhow.

Gsguy thanks for the information you have provided on pants. Draggin Jeans with armour seem to be what I am leaning towards since I like the casual look that comes with the pretty good protection as I have heard.  Again thank you guys.

Keep an eye open for me I will be posting around the board in weeks to come.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
check with your class.  All ours required was a long sleeve t-shirt or jacket.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I have the First Gear HT Air Overpants which I like. They breath fairly well and have knee padding. I would get the optional CE knee armor and the hip protectors as well. Newenough.com has them for $179 I believe.

·
Registered
177 Posts
That lightning jacket dackler linked to is great, I've been using mine for a year now. New Enough is also a great place to check out for mesh, they have smoking deals (like $70 or something). Don't forget that anything not designed for riding won't protect you, and good luck.

Also, there are these cool pants that go under regular pants and have armor built in. Their ad is in the back of riding magazines, lemme find it... ahh, Bohn, that's it. Their site is www.actionstation.com Looks like it's less about abrasion, but the armor is in most of the places you'd be sliding anyway. Worth looking at.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Another Deep Southerner, eh? Fieldsheer or Joe Rocket armored mesh jacket, Under Armor cool gear long sleeve shirt underneath. Before long rides soak the jacket and let it hang for about an hour before riding. This will keep you cooler, at least tolerable.

In the major heat like we are experiencing now you really have to be careful with heat loading. I often don't wear riding pants, even the mesh pants can be hot. Around town I accept the risk. Again, if I'm going on a longer ride I'll soak the pants.

The problem with the high humidity and temperatures we've been having is that even wet gear is only marginal. Beware of hyperthermia. Stay hydrated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts