Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed Dual Fiamm AM-80 Horns on my bike this weekend while waiting for the snow to melt off the roads. Got them from www.ridesafer.com for

only around $30 and the install isn't that hard. they give you all the stuff you need including the relay. the only "hard" part was bending the bracket to fit around the radiator and clear the forks.

I followed an easy install on the web that i can't find right now (i think it was from www.sv650.org but they're down today).

These puppies are LOUD!!! the kit comes with plenty of earplugs for a good reason. here's an important safety tip: don't test them in your closed garage without earplugs. i think my ears are bleeding. they are more like sonic cannons than horns.

here's some pics

the relay with wire from the battery (which has an inline fuse), the two wires from the old horn, and one wire that splits and goes to the + terminal of the two horns.

The right horn installed witha bend bracket to clear the radiator and the forks. the negative lead just hooks up to the radiator

Pic of the bike all back together... the horns fit under the fairings very well.

the bonus is that now the annoying and pathetic stock horn doesn't block the air going to the radiator and doesn't block me from moving the radiator to change that similiarly annoying front spark plug.

buy this!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Just wait 'till the first time some cell phone yapper starts drifting into your lane while you're moving thru and you uncork those horns and they drop their phone in surprise!! 8) Definitely an attention getter...

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i can't wait. in fact i thikn i'll go looking for minivans right now! I'm already wishing i bought the new airhorn that fits on the SV. It's possible that will shatter glass.

MY bike's horn is now much louder than my car. i think i'll buy another FIAMM kit for the Civic soon.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Anyone have any opinion on the snail trumpet type as opposed to the plain diaphram type?  Specifically, this one versus this one.

Of the writeups I've read, the trumpet snail ones seem to be more popular than the diaphram ones, even though the plain diaphram ones have a higher dB rating and appear to be smaller (and thus easier to mount).  Any thoughts???

Oh, BTW...I think this is the writeup you found:
http://www.sv650.org/docs/FIAMM DUEL ELECTRIC HORNS2.doc

It's in .doc format, so I assume you'll have to have MS Office or something similar to view it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
what about Hella horns?

this is a site I found when I was looking for horns for my civic and it has a good explanation of the sound of the different horns and a more real world decibel reading at 6 feet instead of 4 inches that the fiamms are rated at

I'm thinking of getting a set of the diaphram horns for my bike as well as my civic

I had never heard of Fiamm untill I saw this post but I know Hella has been on the market for a long time making great products so I'm surprised to not hear any mention on here of them

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Yeah I've got to do a horn job on my bike soon. F'in idiots are out and about.

N

·
0 Posts
gahdzila said:
"...Of the writeups I've read, the trumpet snail ones seem to be more popular than the diaphram ones, even though the plain diaphram ones have a higher dB rating and appear to be smaller (and thus easier to mount).  Any thoughts???"
Confirming what you already know: The "trumpet" type is larger and harder to find a place for. It's also more directional than the more common type so that will further limit your mounting options (naturally, you don't want to point it up because it will collect H2O or down because the sound will be directed that way. My experience with mounting horns behind fairings is that they work better on the rider than the target audience since the fairing reflects the sound right back at you.

As far as air horns are concerned, my personal experience is that you can't beat them for sheer volume (if you can find a place for the horns and a compressor) but unless you also have a pressure accumulator of some type the 1/4-1/2 sec or so between pushing the button and getting the horn negates the extra noise in a crisis situation. By the time they hear you, it's too late.

Oh, and Fiamm horns have been around forever, or at least as long as the VW bugs we used to get 'em from.

:)

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I've got the same ones, funnily enough in the same place :) Really good. And I totally agree about not testing them in your garage- I had a bad solder causing an intermittant fault on one, and by the time I finished testing I felt like i'd shaken all my teeth loose. Slightly disappointing in the real world, I'm vaguely considering fitting some more ;D

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sweet.
um... not to hijack my own thread i started along time ago, but how is the rear-wheel speedo working? i just tried some JB-stick instead of my failed 'jam-a-crap-load-of-washers-in' method. sunday will be its maiden test. just want to know if there was any catastrophic failure on your test.

·
Registered
536 Posts
yellow650 said:
sweet.
um... not to hijack my own thread i started along time ago, but how is the rear-wheel speedo working? i just tried some JB-stick instead of my failed 'jam-a-crap-load-of-washers-in' method. sunday will be its maiden test. just want to know if there was any catastrophic failure on your test.
Note to self: When riding behind Mike on Sunday, watch for flying bits of JB-stick ...

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
yellow650 said:
sweet.
um... not to hijack my own thread i started along time ago, but how is the rear-wheel speedo working?  i just tried some JB-stick instead of my failed 'jam-a-crap-load-of-washers-in' method.  sunday will be its maiden test.  just want to know if there was any catastrophic failure on your test.
Still working perfect, I think that's 1000 miles just passed. I did find one of the wee castellations I built had come loose last time I had the wheel off, not sure whether it came off in fitment, removal or inbetween but there were no negative effects of it coming loose- it had stayed intact and not broken up or spread dust about, and the speedo still worked. I didn't build a new one, just glued that one in with a tiny dot of thick superglue.

I still need to get the bike on the dyno- waiting for my vaccum gauges to turn up so I can balance the carbs first- but that'll be the last test before I declare it a success... Pretty confident in it though.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
536 Posts
gahdzila said:
be sure and post back here when you get them, that's the ones I'm thinking of getting!
+1

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just spendt $15ish on the Fiamm "Freeway Blaster" horn you can get at a Pep Boys or Schucks or something. It's basically one of the above horns and doesn't require extra wiring and crap. It's a looooooooot louder than the stock horn, and lower too. I've been doing a lot of city riding looking for an apartment, and yesterday my horn stopped cars in their tracks 3 times. I love it.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Yellow,
How did you figure out the relay? Like which contact was for what? Just wondering. Thanks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts