Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Ran into a problem with my bike a few weeks ago and I was only able to lightly dig in. However, finals are over and I would like to get the bike running again.

The symptoms:
The bike began to run roughly in the middle of a ride. It would have a hard time idling at stop. If I gave it full throttle there would be a slight delay followed by a surge in rpms before it died. I pulled over for a bit and decided to head home. after fighting it for a mile it actually started to idle again and run smoothish till I got home. after letting it cool down it has yet to start since.

So far I checked my air filter and throttle bodies for blockage, replaced spark plugs and verified that each cylinder was sparking. and put the bike in dealer mode and checked that I was getting no errors. and the fuel pump still primes when the key is turned.

so air? check, spark? check I guess its fuel.

I haven't dealt with any fuel injection in depth so I'm looking for pointers on what to check. My gut says it should be a clogged fuel pump filter, but any pointers would be useful.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Best advice would be to do the 'fuel volume' test....that'll tell you straight away whether you're getting enough fuel or not. 9-10 seconds should easily pump at least 5oz and a good pump/filter will do about double that. If anywhere close to the minimum...you need a pump and flush or replace the filter.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Best advice would be to do the 'fuel volume' test....that'll tell you straight away whether you're getting enough fuel or not. 9-10 seconds should easily pump at least 5oz and a good pump/filter will do about double that. If anywhere close to the minimum...you need a pump and flush or replace the filter.
Good call on the test. I didn't go through the hassle of hardwiring the pump for a steady test, but I did 4 key on/off priming cycles and by my loose count should have been longer than 10 sec total. I didn't even get 4oz out of the pump. A bit more searching yielded the v-strom thread about bypassing the high pressure filter and placing an inline filter.

I'll order the parts soon and try that next week. Can anyone recommend a specific filter that fits in the sv frame well?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Be sure to check the fuel pump filter. It could be blocked up.

I was initially hesitant to pull the pump (and it can be a messy job) since I dont have a garage. But I was able to do it with two home depot orange buckets. Once I disconnect the tank, I flip the tank onto the bucket and get out most of the gas by holding it over. Once there is only a small amount left in the tank, i used the bucket as a "table" while I undo the fuel pump screws.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I was out of town for a few days and started working on the bike again today. Before jumping into the fuel pump I decided to rerun the fuel volume test one more time and with an actual stopwatch. So I jump the pump for exactly 10sec and got about 7-8oz of fuel this time. So using the fuel prime cycles might not have been the most accurate. And the fuel pump might not be the problem.

I reconnected the fuel line and tried to start the bike without the airbox so I could listen. I can hear something that sounds like maybe some blowback coming from the rear cylinder. It didn't seem relevant at the time but one thing I noticed when I first started investigating a few weeks ago after my ride was that the airbox had come off of the rear cylinders throttle body. Perhaps it had been blown off by some reverse flow? I haven't touched the cams or timing in a couple years. Could this be the problem? What could be the cause if so?

Otherwise what would be the next thing to check? Injectors?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Im going to go out on a limb and say dont make your problem more complicated then it has to be. You either have an air problem or a fuel problem.

If the bike originally had problems idling, and you found that your air filter was loose--- is it possible you have a vaccum leak? either on the seal itself or one of your air box vaccums are not pumped in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was out of town for a few days and started working on the bike again today. Before jumping into the fuel pump I decided to rerun the fuel volume test one more time and with an actual stopwatch. So I jump the pump for exactly 10sec and got about 7-8oz of fuel this time. So using the fuel prime cycles might not have been the most accurate. And the fuel pump might not be the problem.

I reconnected the fuel line and tried to start the bike without the airbox so I could listen. I can hear something that sounds like maybe some blowback coming from the rear cylinder. It didn't seem relevant at the time but one thing I noticed when I first started investigating a few weeks ago after my ride was that the airbox had come off of the rear cylinders throttle body. Perhaps it had been blown off by some reverse flow? I haven't touched the cams or timing in a couple years. Could this be the problem? What could be the cause if so?

Otherwise what would be the next thing to check? Injectors?
Hey mate, what did you find?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts