Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its been a while since ive been on here, i used to own an 01 650 n. i recently picked up a 1000n k3. mileage is 14k. showroom cond. chin fairing, gsxr forks, dual yoshis pcIII, corbin seat. pretty much everything i wanted to do to my old 650. im not real familiar with the 1k. so im just looking for a heads up on any issues they may have, what to look out for. and any other suggestions. ive read through these forums a bit, but still have some questions. it sounds like the flat spot in the mid-range happens a lot. easy fix? also have a slight oil drip. maybe one drop after sitting for a day.where should i look first. seems to be coming from timing cover area? really enjoy the bike, looking for advice thanks.

·
Registered
818 Posts
You might check out threads on the green connector. Some of the bikes had a clutch shudder "chudder", and a few have had stator issues. No problems w/ mine (about 10k on it). I'd suspect the pipes & the pc3 for the bogging issue - mine is stock (well, almost - de-snorkled) w/ no issue. A good engine cleaning should help track the source of the leak. Some people have dusted w/ talcum powder to help trace leaks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
she got a good cleanin last nite and a trip around the block. no new drips at end of ride, ill check it after a day of sitting, not really bad enough to cause great concern, but i am pretty meticulous about my toys, it shouldnt do it so i want tit fixed. its always had synthetic oil, im running amsoil now. runs great, the only noise i hear is a little valve train tick, but not causing concern, seems like most people dont do the valvs till 20+ thousand. i would like to know if the flat spot is due to lean or rich condition, if rich id like to look into tank spacers and snorkle mod.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Considering you have a 'flat-spot', if I were you I'd be in there checking the valve clearances. Mine were tight when I checked at 1400 miles and adjusted to max clearances. This engine really liked being set up like that! Idle speed increased 300 rpms from the reduction in overlap and my suspicion on 'flat-spot' engines is the exhaust systems are causing an over-scavenging condition with the cam timing as stock...which is set up for the stock system. You don't need/want as much overlap when you greatly reduce the backpressure so the first step (IMHO) would be a valve check (as it is due anyhow) and set them to the wide side of the specs. You'll like the improvement in throttle response afterwards.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts