Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Im new to the SV1000S. I just got mine yesterday, and iv logged a few miles on it. Mine is an 04.

Iv been reading around and searching for some answers to just a couple general questions, but im not finding exactly what im looking for.

Question 1.
Iv read the the new gearboxes are pretty clunky and notchy till they have a few miles on em. I expect this as my bike has only 22 miles on it now. When i took my first spin on it, i got er up to 35mph and was getting ready to hit 3rd gear, using the clutch, and as soon as i let the clutch out and rolled on the throttle the back tire locked and i slid it about 5 feet and almost stalled the bike. I grabbed the clutch and it unlocked the rear wheel and i regained control and stopped. Needless to say this didnt please me lol. What would you suspect caused this?

Question 2.
Is it safe to shift clutchless on the new tranny or should i be using the clutch for the break in period?
Is clutchless shifting on this bike just as simple as rolling off throttle upshift and roll on throttle?

Question 3.
Its been a little less than easy getting the bike to go into Neutral. Its almost like i have to firmly place it there with my hand. This is a brand new bike, and noone other than myself has been on it. From the factory, are the clutches usually adjusted near to where they need to be? I havnt got in there and looked at the clutch adjustment yet, but i plan to study up on it and take a look this week. Anyone have a how to for the clutch adjustment handy?

Welp, thats about it. I love this bike so far. Cant wait to logg some miles cruisin!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Question 1: WTF? If I had to guess, I would say your tranny is screwed. Or perhaps you went from 2nd to 1st accidentally and experienced major engine braking!? That's all i can think of.

Question 2: If you like your tranny, always use the clutch.

Question 3: Take it back to the dealer and let them fix it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I bought my 03 sv1000 about a month brand new ago neatral is realy easy to find alot easier than my 03 sv650 was the bike shift verry easy and smooth and if your rear tire locked at 35 mph shifting to 3rd bring it back to the dealer thats bad. Frorule The sv1000 has a slipper clutch I've never even chirped a tire downshifting the tire should only lock if you stall it.
i think you may have some tranny problems ride it a little more if it does't smooth out take it back

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies fellas. I appretiate it.

I put 30 miles on the bike today, and it handled, and performed as i expected. Flawless.

I think the locked rear tire was my error. I may have went from 3rd to 2nd and engine braked. I tried to recreate this lock up and couldnt do it without downshifting and lettin the cluthc out fast.

I got use to the clutch rather quickly and i am always using the clutch. Its very smooth and doesnt take mch pressure to work the clutch being that its a hydro unit.

Neutral is also much earier to find now that i have a few mile son it. It goes into N very smooth.

Thanks again for the replies! Im rather familiar with the bike now and i am having a BLAST cruising it. Got 150 miles lined up tomorrow. Cant wait.

Cheers! :lol:

·
Registered
107 Posts
For the record, you really don't need to use the clutch while UPSHIFTING, a motorcycles gearbox is much different than a cars however it helps to give a little extra gas, back off and then upshift to smooth it out. In 12 yrs. of riding I've never experienced a malfunction caused by doing this, or had to split the cases of any motorcycle I've owned. Normally downshifting without the clutch is what breaks shift forks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bloodhound said:
For the record, you really don't need to use the clutch while UPSHIFTING, a motorcycles gearbox is much different than a cars however it helps to give a little extra gas, back off and then upshift to smooth it out. In 12 yrs. of riding I've never experienced a malfunction caused by doing this, or had to split the cases of any motorcycle I've owned. Normally downshifting without the clutch is what breaks shift forks.
Tell that to this guy....

http://forum.svrider.com/viewtopic.php?t=43437

1 - 7 of 7 Posts