Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday was the first day i got to ride my bike. it's an 03 naked. anwyays, took it to get inspected, and the guy said i "should have" failed because the rear indicators/signals are "too close" together. should be 9 inches apart and they are like 4..

previous owner installed a fender elminator kit.. what can i do to rectify the situation? they really aren't bright at all, either. i know, this thread is useless without pics.. i think i've got a pic at home of the back of the bike. i have no clue who makes the eliminator kit.

looks like this though:

now, if i wanted to switch out to something like this:

http://www.surfsidemoto.com/store/product/TGASSVTK22350.html

how hosed am i?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
if it passed inspection then no need to fix it..."if it aint broke don't fix it"

As far as brightness, you could make it a little more "flashy" or eye catching by getting a integrated tail light and wiring up both. this way you would have eliminator and the tail light flashing. Although some people think the integrated tail lights are dim too (i don't share that opinion, i love mine)

Red lense integrated

clear lense integrated

·
Registered
274 Posts
That's the FE that came on my bike when I bought it used. Didn't even dawn on me at the time that it was not stock- I was a total newb.

My dad gave me a ride to pick it up at one point when I was moving from one apt to another and had no way to trailer it. He was behind me while I left the complex, and now I never hear the end of it about how he could barely see the indicators.

To be honest, I love them the way they are, but I can see how they are not all that bright. At night, they're plenty noticeable, but during the day, they can seem a bit dim. I've never found a solution that I like to either add more or better indicators, though. And I'm not convinced that brighter indicators would be noticeable to anyone who wasn't looking closely enough in the first place. I still always assume that no one notices me, and ride accordingly, even going so far as to use hand signals in many situations.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm. well, to be honest i don't really like the way they don't match the front.. would like some "symmetry".. which is why i like that other kit that i found.. matches the front.. i'll have to look up the manufacturer and see how easy it will be to reverse. something tells me it won't be..

my dad was following me on his w650 yesterday and told me he couldn't barely see 'em. so if HE can't see them, i KNOW a car won't. and then cops won't. etc.. etc... the less hassle the better. i'm a new rider. don't need any more trouble than myself. hahahaa.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Well, I took off the front stock ones, put in some flush mounts and wired the parking lights (small lights inside the headlight cluster, to the outside edges) to cut off when the blinkers are illuminated. Also switched them to amber LEDs. So I have symmetry now. But I've considered getting some higher visibility indicators all around.

I've also been pulled over twice on my bike. One was simple warning while I was going with the flow, and once to check the lighting I added to my bike- also no citation. Neither officer noticed or cared about the indicators not being stock. But perhaps I was a bit lucky.

·
Registered
176 Posts
if it passed inspection then no need to fix it..."if it aint broke don't fix it"

Go with that if you still feel ok about it.
This is mine that's been passing in VA so far, and so far haven't been pulled over for signals yet. If the mounts for your plate are strong enough, you might be able to get that first mount you posted.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Go with that if you still feel ok about it.
This is mine that's been passing in VA so far, and so far haven't been pulled over for signals yet. If the mounts for your plate are strong enough, you might be able to get that first mount you posted.
So a bricks length works in VA?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, to be honest, in my MSF class the instructor stated that VA doesn't REQUIRE bikes to have signals, but if they are there they must work and fall within the guidelines.

i think the brick is to block the plate.. ;)

i may just make my own fender eliminator.. if i do, i will be sure to post pics..

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
... VA doesn't REQUIRE bikes to have signals, but if they are there they must work and fall within the guidelines.
sounds like the government, all right. tell the inspector they are not turn signals, just some decorations you added.

i may be the only one who actually prefers the stock signals. they stick out a mile and are ugly, but i can't see them from the riding position, and hopefully anyone behind me can. (not that i count on it.) i read one study recently that found drivers notice width of object better, making a case for wider mounted lights.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
When you ride by that hard azz state police or sheriff deputy one day and they pull you over and cite you for it, passing the buck back to the inspection station isn't going to work. 9" separation, btw.

Sent from my right shoe phone.

·
Registered
331 Posts
well, to be honest, in my MSF class the instructor stated that VA doesn't REQUIRE bikes to have signals, but if they are there they must work and fall within the guidelines.
This is the truth. I took the signals off my cruiser and just use hand signals. Inspector didn't even say a word about them not being there.

·
Registered
274 Posts
As I button up my SV after going through it, I've been thinking more about this thread.. I would really like some indicators in the rear that are brighter than the ones in the Hot Bodies FE (which came on my bike used). I'm wondering if there's any way to install some bright stalk-style indicators off the license plate mounts, or ideally, how to upgrade the LEDs in the Hot Bodies indicators. Anyone have any thoughts or examples?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts