Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
dfinn said:
ls14ever said:
4) Dont start doing this unless you have the means to cut/drill relatively thick metal. Luckily I had all the bits already but its thicker than you'd want to do with tin snips or anything like that.
You think a dremel with some cutting/grinding wheels and a cordless drill with good bits will be enough to tackle the job?
Well, the dremel will probably cut the required bits. It might take awhile though. The tabs on the liscene plate bracket I was able to take off with some metal shears. The blinker bracket is much thicker though and I used a jigsaw with a metal blade. (also worked well to hack apart the fender.) As for the cordless drill, you gotta go through the reflector bracket. Its about 1/4" of steel. If its a good one you might make it.

Just look under your fender at all the bit and pieces there before you get everything apart like I did.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
I Guess I'm just spoiled, I just fired up the compressor and used a cut off tool :D

·
Registered
482 Posts
Question:

When you take into account the tools, time, stress, etc... Does it still cost less than the $75 license bracket from Oneida or the Targa kit? That's a serious question btw.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The suzuki kit from oneida looks ugly IMHO. The traga kit uses those tiny blinkers. I wanted to retain the stock blinkers.

If I had to go buy tools, it would just be easier to buy a kit. But 90% of the work you do while doing this you'd have to do with either the targa or suzuki kit anyways.

·
Registered
482 Posts
That makes sense. I've been trying to decide which route to take on the FE, so the question was sincere. My biggest concern is cutting the original fender b/c I'm not the most artistic/crafty person in the world. That, and my toolbox isn't as loaded as some on the board.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just did finished doing this on my '05 this morning. All in all it's pretty simple. For tools you need a metric allen wrench set, a socket set, a drill and drill bits and something to cut the plastic fender. I used a 12v dewalt cordless drill with some cheap-o drill bits (supposed to only be used w/wood) and a dremel with a cutting wheel. It took me about 3 hours and I was taking my time and doing other stuff also (supposed to be working from home ;) ).

I skipped one step though and it saved me some time and hassle. I didn't trip the mounting bar for the blinkers. I left it how it was and drilled 2 holes in it to mount to the 2 holes I drilled in the L bracket that holds it all together. I'm not sure how much time and effor that saved me but I like the way it looks just fine. I think my blinkers might stick out an inch farther on each side compared to the original plans but I think it looks just fine.

cost me $1.64.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Storz said:
It fits pretty well, there is about a 1mm gap but thats it.

Are you or anyone else collecting much water under the pillion from a gap like that when riding in rain? If so, would this cause any long term problems?

·
Registered
25 Posts
It doesn't really rain where I live but if you were really that worried about it I'm sure you could get creative and make it pretty water tight. Maybe a black trash bag and some duct tape on the inside to keep the water out and you wouldn't even be able to see it from the outside. It's not a very big gap but I guess if you were constantly riding in the rain it might be a problem. The fuses and other electical connections are under there so you probably wouldn't want it being constantly wet.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
good gosh, I need this. Running toll twice in one day and im praying i don't receive tickets in mail. Damn those fenderless friends of mine.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
yup, it just did it but not exactly like the DIY said. They ghetto fab i did required no cutting except for the blinkers which looked fugly sticking out far.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Where did the pics go?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts