Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Fender eliminator ideas needed...please help

4K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  Domiken 
#1 ·
Okay, so I'm in the middle of a fender eliminator and have discovered the back mounting point (plastic tab on tail section) is broken. The shifter side is still there to mount to, but the brake side is gone.

Who's got an idea on how to mount this thing?

Later,
Chrome...

#3 ·
Unfortunately, no pictures.

I'm using the template that is floating around. I've got the shape cut out, but no holes drilled yet, only marked.

The tabs I'm talking about are on the plastic tail section, not the fender. The old fender that I cut off mounted to them. The original owner has broken the brake side tab which is a mounting point on the template.

Later,
Chrome...

#5 ·
No, those aren't it. The tabs are located on the tail section (plastics) If you were to find that point under your bike, about two inches to the rear are the tabs I'm referring to. Again, they are on the painted tail section of the bike.

You can see the tab if you look closely in this borrowed picture from Roadkill33.

Later,
Chrome...

#6 ·
Ok, I see what you're talking about now, sorry about my confusion. Here's another pic of my completed undertail (and you're just missing the spot for the right side screw that you can see in the pic above the plate).

Since it's broken, I would try to come up with something to take its place. Those screws hold the back of the undertail to the plastics, and don't attach to the subframe anyways. What you might try is epoxying in a small metal tab with a hole in the correct location for the undertray. You also need to be able to run a screw/bolt through the hole, so maybe try to find a quickclip (if that's what they are called) to put on the tab. I'm thinking of the little clips that hold the left/right rear plastics together between the seats.

I suppose an easier option would be to place a bolt in the tab with the threads facing downward, and have the nut on the exposed part of the undertray. Might be a bit easier.

#12 ·
Since it's broken, I would try to come up with something to take its place. Those screws hold the back of the undertail to the plastics, and don't attach to the subframe anyways. What you might try is epoxying in a small metal tab with a hole in the correct location for the undertray. You also need to be able to run a screw/bolt through the hole, so maybe try to find a quickclip (if that's what they are called) to put on the tab. I'm thinking of the little clips that hold the left/right rear plastics together between the seats.

I suppose an easier option would be to place a bolt in the tab with the threads facing downward, and have the nut on the exposed part of the undertray. Might be a bit easier.
Agreed. Those two screws were a pain, I had to flip one of the tabs over just to get the screw to attach. Since it worked, I didnt end up in your position.

My recomendation is to take the parts and head over to either Lowes or Home Depot. I discovered they have a pretty extensive screw/fastener selection and ideas just come as I look around. Maybe try connecting the FE through the hole, through the broken fender hole and attach it to the frame. I am sure there could be a fastener for that type of application.

Inspiration is 90% imagination and 10% perspiration.

Good luck.

RK

#14 ·
Yea, the holes didnt line up as well as I had hoped. I had to go in with the screw on an angle so the clip didnt catch as well as it should have. I just flipped it over so it would catch sooner and it worked.

Next time, I will do a mock up a little more diligently. I did mock it up, but didnt try it with the plastics.

Oh well, works for now...

RK

#15 ·
Update: A big thanks to you guys for helping out.

Epoxying the tab did not work. Just too small an area for the adhesive with no way to distribute the stress.

Roadkill's comment about inspiration got me looking at the problem again. 30 minutes later I had fabbed an L bracket that mounts to the old fender retaining tab seen below courtesy of kjkrow. The fender eliminator has the recommended mounting points, but one just mounts to the frame. little bit of work and I've got it looking very nice. Still not finished, but getting much closer. Should be done this weekend if work doesn't bother me.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3548/3346717505_24b7b91065_b.jpg

Later,
Chrome...

#16 ·
Also, did you guys attempt to keep water out of the trunk or was it a non-issue? I'm a little concerned about water getting to the electrical system in the tail. Not concerned about the trunk items getting wet, next to nothing goes in there, just the electrical items.

Later,
Chrome...

#17 ·
I didn't worry about it too much at this point. I did apply some adhesive weather stripping between the undertray and the taillight, so that should help some). The two signal wires and the two LED wires for mine run up through a hole slightly larger than 3/8 inch behind the plate. I put a few pieces of electrical tape over it, and called it good.

I can't imagine that much water makings it's way up there.

Good work on making a tab work off that existing mounting point. Does the body work (right rear plastic) attach at all in that location now?

#21 ·
No sweat man. Any time you need a hand/garage let me know. I just moved in so things aren't perfect, but i can improvise. The steel came from Lowe's, both locations around town have/had it. Definitely take a look at mine so you can learn from my mistakes. I think I could refine what I made more now that I've done it once.

I hope to have it 100% done this weekend, but I noticed I've lost my rear brake fluid somewhere, so I've got to find that link and fix it. No biggie, it's time for brakes anyway.

Later,
Chrome...

PS.

I think I've got a camera I can use....we'll see.

#20 ·
Nice Job! Good to see it worked out.

Regarding water, I try not to ride in the rain and the holes and mismatched areas are small enough that minimal water will get in. I might try some electrical tape to seal it up a little better.

Lookin good, keep going, more pics...

RK

#23 ·
So I'll be taking off my rear fender and putting a home made one in. Thanks for the template. That should work out nicely. Did you use shears or a dremel?

Also, has anybody had any issues with mounting their plate closer to the shock? I kind of like that sleek look and want to try it. How did you mount it? Route the light?

#25 ·
I cut mine with a jig saw as well. It was a real pain in the bum, but the shears just weren't strong enough for the thickness of sheet metal that I got. Then I hand filed the edges, you know, with a file. I coated is in cheap bedliner and it's holding up nicely thus far.

#26 ·
Then I hand filed the edges, you know, with a file. .
Thanks for clearing that up...I was lost for a second. ;)

I figured I would get the same gauge metal as my floor on my 52 chevy. That's maleable enough to bend where I need it, but still thin enough to cut with shears and file....with my girlfriend's cooking...trust me, it'll work. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.